Ketchup

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Eddd, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Eddd

Eddd Squier-Meister

Nov 20, 2019
    Canada
    Yes or no to ketchup on hot dogs.And why?

2. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Yes, because I like it, and it doesn't harm anyone else for me to use condiments that I like.

3. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    I prefer mustard on dogs because it tastes better to me, especially Dijon.

4. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    No. All beef hotdogs only,no condiments.Why? Because I like to taste the hot dog.

5. MrYeats

MrYeats Dr. Squier

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    Ketchup, mustard, sauerkraut, relish, and onion... And the occasional jalapeno.

Or chili, cheese and onion, if the chili is good.

6. BarnyardShark1979

BarnyardShark1979 Squier-Meister

Jul 9, 2020
    Baltimore Maryland
    Not my thing, ketchup is pretty sweet, I like the sharp vinegar note of mustard to cut the richness of the dog, and chopped raw onions for crunch.

I love ketchup on fried potato products, be they fries, tots or hashbrowns.

On just about any kinda burger or coldcut sandwich I like both mayo and mustard:
    [​IMG]

7. Stratlover84

Stratlover84 Squier-holic

Jun 16, 2016
    NY - EC
    I'm from NY and I like all kinds of stuff on mine. I have a preference for Spicy Brown Mustard or even that French Whole Grain mustard with the seeds. You should see what they put on hot dogs here in Ecuador :rolleyes:

All that hardcore regionalist stuff is interesting but not strictly written in stone.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  8. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Western Oregon
    Ketchup, mustard, mayo, and relish...onion and sauerkraut, too, if it’s available.

9. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    I had a son-in-law that used ketchup on damn near everything..Even on his breakfast eggs..I just about lost it when my daughter set the ketchup bottle on the table with his ice cream..He didn't do that though..lol..

10. RhinestoneStrat

RhinestoneStrat Squier-Meister

Aug 24, 2019
    Ontario
    Ketchup loves anything...especially P.E.I. taters.:D

[​IMG]

fattboyzz, mb doug, Big tuna and 5 others like this.
  11. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-holic ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    Chili and onions or kraut and mustard.

12. MLHull

MLHull Squier-Meister

Sep 19, 2020
    TX
    My ex-inlaws were visiting from Singapore once upon a time. We took them to one of our favorite restaurants that served excellent prime rib, which we all ordered. The mother in law smothered hers with ketchup; the look on the waiters face was priceless.

For hot dogs I often use a line of mustard down one side and ketchup down the other.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    One String Sam, mb doug, Eddd and 4 others like this.
  13. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago now Sarasota
    I’m from Chicago. Ketchup on a hot dog would get you killed.

me personally? Do what you want.

14. Twostratsfornow

Twostratsfornow Squier-Meister

Nov 14, 2020
    Ontario, Canada
    Ditto. Plus mustard and onions. Relish occasionally.

15. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

Webers horseradish mustard and onion on one - sliced long way dill pickle, Ket, mustard, onion, sometimes relish or hot sauce - sometimes green peppers and onions with mustard or hot sauce also good for sausage summers are made for hot dogs

16. Twostratsfornow

Twostratsfornow Squier-Meister

Nov 14, 2020
    Ontario, Canada
    Ketchup is a must have, on my eggs.

mb doug likes this.
  17. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I've got celiac disease, so I can't eat hotdogs or cheeseburgers on buns. Because I'm not working my 4 hrs. per week anymore, I've lost around $200 a month income, which means my only income is my $1200 a month SS check, and the only place I can really cut costs is on food, so I've been eating hotdogs more lately, 'cause a 10 pack of Oscar Mayer's cheapest ones is $2.50 at Walmart. If I have 2 for dinner, that's 5 days worth. I don't have any mustard or ketchup in the house, so I've been dipping them in mayo, and it's not bad. I was buying their all beef ones, which are $5 for a 10 pack, and they taste better, but they're really greasy, so I've gone back to the cheapy ones, 'cause the grease isn't good for my stomach either, since I also have acid reflux, lol.
    I gotta remember to buy mustard and ketchup next time.

18. Tele56

Tele56 Squier-Meister

Jul 22, 2012
    AZ
    Most, if not all hot dog stands in Chicago use either Vienna, Red Hot Chicago or David Berg dogs. The buns of choice are poppy seed from Mary Ann bakery (steamed of course). Condiments of choice are yellow mustard, white diced onions, neon green relish, kosher pickle spear, tomato slice, sport peppers and a dash of celery salt. Ketchup is frowned upon but will make exceptions for little kids. But if you like ketchup on your dogs that’s cool. What can I say...that’s what I grew up with.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  19. jefffam

jefffam Dr NC Gold Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    If you like ketchup on your hot dog, I say go for it. Personally I use ketchup on very little, primarily to choke down scrambled eggs. If I make the rare meatloaf, I use it as a sauce on top before the crunchy crackers, or bread crumbs.

On my hotdog, primarily mayo or maybe some stone ground mustard. Yellow mustard is O.K., too. After being in West Germany, they serve both bratwurst, bloodwurst, mettwurst and French fries all with mayo. Although I was very shocked and taken back initially, I found I like it that way. I don't think others have to follow my example, the same way don't push ketchup on me for hot dogs, hamburgers, and French Fries. (Sometimes on hash browns is O.K.). Onion slices on a hamburger or chopped onions, or a small amount of shredded onions in French fries/ hash browns. In fact, while I dislike ketchup greatly, on hot dogs and French fries, I can choke them down. Generally on a hamburger with ketchup, that would be a hard pass. Likewise any form of hot pepper is a no go as they don't sit well on my guts. The chemical that makes hot peppers hot, causes a bad reaction. (The last time I ate something with hot pepper juice in it, I was sick for 4 days. )

But as I said, use whatever you want on your hotdog, hamburgers or French fries.

One String Sam, mb doug and DougMen like this.
  20. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Mustard. To me ketchup is the ruination of all good food. My wife puts it on a lot of stuff.. I tell her it is the scourge of the condiment world. To each their own........