Katana owners

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by Eddie, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Yay? Nay?

https://reverb.com/item/30806189-boss-katana-100w-guitar-amp-head-mint

Valentine's weekend special. 15% off to $208 + $25 shipping.

Is it worth it? I've never really been a modeling amp type of guy. But this may be a step up from what I've experienced.

I have no room for a combo. But I'd replace my Acoustic 120H head with this guy and run it through a Blackstar 2x12 cabinet.

2. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    It's a good deal. Will you like the Katana ? That's another question.

3. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Dr. Squier

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    100w is likely to blow your face off in the house. I don't gig so it would be way to much for me.

4. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    That's the thing that I worry about. Great reviews, and I can still use my super crazy distortion pedal with it. BUT ... if I don't like it, I'm not sure I can move it for what I paid. :(

I'm getting ready for my Twisted Sister cover band. Gonna blow the roof off. :)

5. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    There's one in GC for $189.99. With shipping and tax, I'm looking at $240. If I don't like it, at least I can return to GC ... but I'd have to eat $31 shipping. :(

6. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Squier-Meister

Feb 25, 2017
    Rhode Island USA
    I have the 100 combo. Luv it but think I should have got the head & seperate cab(s)
    Price seems great
    GC in RI has had a used 1 for a couple months but they're lookind for $250 or so

7. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    If I get it, I'm gonna sell the Acoustic 120H. Though it would be a shame. It's a nice head that works great with pedals.

8. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I have the 100w 1x12 combo and absolutely love it. You can knock it all the way down to 1 watt I think and it sounds really good quiet. I have yet to use a pedal with it, but really haven’t had the need to. I think it has every pedal Boss ever made built into it. I say give it a try. Honestly, the very worst case scenario your only out a couple hundred bucks.

9. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    I have the little combo and it's confusing. I'm still a preset kind'a guy with the thing. Fun though. Too much work to find a tone, but I suppose it's better than the now forfeited Vox modeler or old Toneport UX1 that I used to have on my computer. At this point I'm best off with either acoustic or a Telecaster through a low wattage tube with some reverb. This thing is fun to play with when I have the time to mess with it.

10. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Squier-Nut

The "clean" tones on these smaller models are not very realistic. But if you go for distortion, then you should give this a try. Most of the more positive reviews are from the metal players.

11. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I've never paid a penny for return shipping on used items from GCenter, although the first time out the clerk sort of rolled his eyes and said he would have to talk to his store manager. He did and I didn't pay anything. However, all of my returns have been because of some defect or something incorrectly advertised in the listing. So I don't know what will happen if you get hit with a case of buyer's remorse as I did a quick internet search and could not find anything definitive. At the very least you would have to return it to a local GCenter and then it may be up to the discretion of the store manager or somebody about recouping your shipping fees.

12. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    ahh - yes, but the Katana also has a 0.5W/50W/100W power selector switch -- those things can be gained all the way up @ 0.5W and still put out a nice bedroom volume level :)

13. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    The Kat head has 2 5" speakers built in if you don't want to use a larger cab, and it has a 1/2 watt mode, which sounds just as good as the higher power modes, plus lots of great effects, and deep tweakability using their software. And if you download the sneaky amps, then you have another 20 or so amp models in addition to the 5 onboard.

14. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Squier-Meister

Jul 13, 2018
    USA
    Consider the $31 as rent for the amp. With a return policy of 45 days(?), it comes up to less than a dollar a day.

15. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Squier-Meister

Feb 25, 2017
    Rhode Island USA
    Serious. The only pedals I use now is a tuner,eq & 12 string simulator with a looper in the f/x loop.
    And that's after coming off of this... 20180408_132216.jpg

16. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I like my 50W Katana combo. I don't play it very often though. And 50W is probably more than I'll ever need, but I think they're pretty neat if you find a good deal for a used version, in any style.

17. Marko60

Marko60 Squier-Nut

Oct 4, 2012
    England
    I'm buzzing with mine 20200215_160037.jpg 20200215_160010.jpg

18. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    I was just playing with my 50 MKII combo. It's permaset at .5 Watts (big feature for me) and I have four presets that work for me. It does sound better than my old Vox Valvetronix modeler for what I do to amuse myself. Nice little amp. I suppose I should make the time to download online models to listen if I like them better than what I've managed to dial in.

19. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    I'm thinking you wouldn't use pedals with this, the Boss modeling is pretty satisfying on it's own if it's half as good as their other products like the GT 100 etc ... maybe a wah pedal in front would be all you needed