Katana 100H

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by Eddie, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Eddie

Eddie My Squier is on Fire !!!

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I found a very useable tone in the Katana 100H.

- Brown
    - Master on High
    - use channel to adjust the volume
    - add boost
    - a little chorus and reverb

Very useable heavy tone.

But man, the feedback is terrible. Even at low volumes. The trick to the tone is having the Master on High. But it also causes really bad feedback.

Any idea how remove the feedback? Or at least cut it back?

2. Exhead

Exhead Squier-Nut

Jul 15, 2015
    Nevada
    There is a 100 2x12 listed locally for $500 (Retail, claims unused...) I am tempted to make an offer but where do I put it?..... LOL

Kenneth Mountain, dbrian66 and Eddie like this.
  3. drewcp

drewcp Dr. Squier

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    What are you using for boost?
    What guitar?

Using a cab, or just the built in speaker?

I want to try and see if I can replicate this tonight.

Kenneth Mountain, dbrian66 and Eddie like this.
  4. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
  5. Eddie

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

There's a boost button on the amp. I normally never turned it on.

I used a few guitars: Squier HH, Fender MIM HSH, and FGN LPC. The tone set up is really nice, but man, feedback is harsh.

Using a 2x12 cabinet. Not even that loud ... 0.5w output.

Give it a try. It's a nice heavy tone.

Unfortunately, that kills the tone. Once I turn the Master down, the heavy tone dies also.

I need to cut the feedback without bringing the Master down. :(

Kenneth Mountain, dbrian66 and drewcp like this.
  6. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Like @drewcp said, show us your settings.

Depending how many times you press it, the boost button on the amp gives you three stock boosts, green amber and red, or gentle, grit your teeth and mental. :D

7. shingh2002

shingh2002 Squier-Nut

Sep 30, 2020
    UK
    Have you activated the noise gate through the app?

8. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    I dont know why I still have mine.
    But as stated above, you need to activate the noise gate from the app.
    I should probably post mine for trade since I won't get my $300 back out of it.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  9. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Dr. Squier

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Move away from the amp ? Turn the speakers to the wall ?

drewcp and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  10. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Hit amp with sledge hammer. No more feedback

fattboyzz and DrBeGood like this.
  11. BobWithOneO

BobWithOneO Squier-Nut

Dec 3, 2020
    Best Carolina
    That would be pretty metal ngl.

You have to tame the feedback like The Nuge. Ride the snake and stuff etc. :p

fattboyzz likes this.
  12. Eddie

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

Very cool, I didn't know there were different boost levels. I have to take a look.

I used a noise gate pedal, but still lots of feedback. I'm gonna have look into the Boss Studio Tone. No noise gate on the amp's panel.

13. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Maybe my splitting maul would be a better heavy metal choice. The katana is a good amp, it's just not a great amp for high gain modern metal. It's close but sorta like 3rd placing in a race. It doesn't do anything really that people any other modeling amps haven't done yet. It's probably just well marketed . I bought mine basically because Ola Englund said it was a good amp.

Eddie likes this.
  14. Eddie

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

Yeah, I want to go pedal-less. I just want to go plug and play, and not worry about setting up pedals.

But so far, nothing has really rung the bell. I've been chasing tone for awhile now, and can't land the nail.

This set up isn't too bad ... but the feedback makes it difficult. I google the situation, and it seems like a common issue with the Katana's and high gain. :(

15. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Did you turn on the noise gate reduction?

Eddie likes this.
  16. Eddie

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

I just went to try it out. I used the noise gate pedal ... turned the cut off up a bit. The feedback was removed, but there's still a heavy hum. Not quiet.

I think that's gonna be what it is.

I hit boost to mental level, and it sound good. The boost helped.

So if I were to ever play out, I think this is the set up I'd use. Unfortunately, because the Master is so high, I can't use the Clean channel. :( But luckily, my Acoustic 120H head has a really nice clean tone. So the A/B switch would work well. Then again, I won't be playing out anytime in the near future. ha ha

17. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Over on The Gear Page there's a 900 page Katana thread that's been running for five years . Quite a lot of them are metal heads gigging with Katanas and I've never seen any major feedback issues that I can recall.

Dr Improbable, drewcp and Eddie like this.
  18. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    You’re doing it backwards…..when you are adjusting yourffects, you also adjust the volume and gain. The gain on this particular amp ill boost your volume significantly. Then set your preset. Use the Master to play whatever volume you want after that. The Brown channel is hissy. Every high gain amp short of my 1200 (new) Mesa Express was noisier with gain. And that had some extra hiss too. I have not activated the noise gate by connecting to the Boss software. You can get a million usable sounds from the amp. But as with everything, not every body likes everything

Edit:I forgot this is the 100. I have the Artist, but I think the programming works the same ay

19. Eddie

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

I don't know ... I just googled Boss Katana 100 feedback problems, and found tons of threads on the Boss Katana 100 feedback problems. :(

20. BobWithOneO

BobWithOneO Squier-Nut

Dec 3, 2020
    Best Carolina
    Cranking the Master all the way first is a life hack Katana users have found to make the sound richer. Works on other amps too including tube amps. They say it sounds sterile without cranking the Master and after owning the 50 I kinda agree.

Eddie likes this.