Just bought a Squier Vintage Modified 72' thinline tele......

Discussion in 'Squier Vintage Modified models' started by Denali, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Denali

Denali Squier Talker

Apr 27, 2020
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    ......it will be tomorrow! I am new to the forum, but did read alot about them here. Mines made in Idonesia and honestly, I dont think there is but a hand ful left in Canada. I got mine for 495 Cdn, and I think I could get double for it now! I called all over and a place in Toronto had one left. Some stores say they have them online, but when you call they are all gone. Seen a CDN one on Reverb.com for 995!
    Don't plan on selling it anyways, but I guess they are discontinued, and might be assembled in China or somewhere if they start them up again? Something I read; maybe you guys can straighten me out what's really going on.
    Anyways, happy to be aboard and I am sure to have more questions.....

Denali

2. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

A 72 foot long Telecaster? That's a big one! :)

Welcome to the board @Denali! We'll look forward to photos of the new guitar.

Black Strat, Denali, mb doug and 2 others like this.
  3. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-holic

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    Welcome!

Squier has basically converted the Vintage Modified line into the new Classic Vibe series. There is a 72 Thinline Classic Vibe, with some subtle changes. I played a number of the VM 72s...never left the shop with one, but, boy, did I want to!

4. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    Welcome to the forum!! They're great guitars, but not worth near $1000 no way no how. Not even worth $500 used.....

Are you sure it's the old Vintage Modified line and not the new Classic Vibe? Is it ICS18 or lower number? Would love to see pics!

5. billyb

billyb Squier-Nut

Jun 13, 2018
    Central Michigan
    An easy way to tell the diff between the CV and VM is that the VM's have "Fender" stamped pickups and saddles...the CV's say "Squier" on the pups.
    One other diff (but not so obvious) is that the VM's have the more traditional "medium jumbo" frets and the CV's have the "narrow Tall" frets.
    Congrats on your new guitar BTW!

6. Denali

Denali Squier Talker

Apr 27, 2020
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Positive it's the old Vintage Modifed 72 and positive it's not a CV. I will post some pics tomorrow. Fender stamped on the humbuckers, medium jumbo frets.
    https://reverb.com/ca/p/squier-vintage-modified-72-tele-thinline-sunburst?locale=en-CA
    I can't speak to what they are actually worth, but the link above is to a CDN store...$900. But of course $900 bucks CDN is like.....$25 American?
    The one below it is no longer there. I did ALOT of calling to online sellers In Canada, and though they might say they are in stock, they have none. Guys I talked to said they are not making them anymore, and explained the CV. I was going to buy the 2019 CV tele deluxe in white, but could not make up my mind. When I originally called the store it was for a Natural finish, which is what I wanted. They did not have any but had the one Sunburst left. Very happy to have one.
    I don't know what they are worth, or will be worth, or if they sound better than the actual Fender thinline, but "wow" it sounds great on my little Fender Champion 20 amp!
    One question: keep my room humidied at 40-60 % all the time. Have other guitars on the wall. Wow, the head is so small on the thinline, I was not sure I wanted to put it up! Do you guys hang them, and if you do, with just a regular hanger or something that fits it better. Might have to modify something. Maybe I am paranoid cuz it's day one....
    Going off like a little girl here.............

7. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    People can ask whatever price they want. Doesn't mean it will ever sell for that

Black Strat and mb doug like this.
  8. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Also, I have a natural one sitting right next to me. I don't normally like maple fretboard, but I like this guitar overall, so it's fine

15881080708743242667025210381946.jpg

9. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Congrats and welcome.

You can put a tele on a wall hanger, but make sure the hanger rotates a little and isn't horizontal.

10. Denali

Denali Squier Talker

Apr 27, 2020
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Thats for sure. No doubt about that. Seems like you certainly have been around and know alot obout Squiers. What is your favourite? Did you have to modify it or was stock good?

11. Denali

Denali Squier Talker

Apr 27, 2020
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Thanks Doc. Also, with all your experience which is your favourite Squier? Maybe should have asked that in personal chat,,,I will figure that out for next time....

12. Wondering if they make cradle type guitar hangers? The type that would hold the body rather than dangle it from the headstock.
    Cheers, Barrie.

13. billyb

billyb Squier-Nut

Jun 13, 2018
    Central Michigan
    The VM Thinlines are VERY nice guitars IMO...I run mine thru a 1992 Fender RAD 20 watt amp and the cleans are simply unmatched...
    Can't speak for the tones with OD's and Fuzz but it's a fine guitar if ya' ask me...
    (I wouldn't pay $900 for one tho :) ...) P1040103.JPG

14. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Here's a Tele on a string swing. The one behind it is a STD Strat with the 70s headstock. 20200428_204143.jpg

15. Denali

Denali Squier Talker

Apr 27, 2020
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Perfect thanks! Already ordered a couple..

16. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Just make sure the guitar sits in the cradle properly. If you tighten the string swing so much that it doesn't rotate, a Tele will fall through (don't ask me how I know).

17. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Welcome to the forum !

Looking forward to the pics ;)

mb doug likes this.
  18. billyb

billyb Squier-Nut

Jun 13, 2018
    Central Michigan
    Re: those hangers...
    Cut a short piece off of a "pool noodle" and slip it on either side of the hanger.
    It reduces the spacing and creates soft pressure to hold the guitar snug and safe:)

Black Strat, daan, Denali and 2 others like this.
  19. Matt Shevell

Matt Shevell Squier-Nut

Feb 5, 2018
    New York
    Very nice
    Congrats

20. Denali

Denali Squier Talker

Apr 27, 2020
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Here is some pics of her, fresh out of the box! She is a beauty all right!
    IMG-0841.jpg IMG-0843.jpg

Attached Files: