Johnson by AXL

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Forum Guest, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Forum Guest

Forum Guest Squier-Meister

Jan 22, 2019
    United States
    I was browsing my local CL and came across a strat style Johnson guitar for $75. The headstock says “Johnson by AXL”. Does anyone know if this is from the AXL factory that produced the CXS SEs and Starcasters, or is it a brand in this case having nothing to do with the factory?

Here’s a pic of the headstock for reference. If it all checks out, this may end up being the project guitar I’ve been waiting on.

E326B86D-D25C-49CA-9DB8-61271E53AC64.jpeg

dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  2. Shine

Shine Squier-Nut

Nov 29, 2016
    Rings of Saturn
    Can't say, but it looks like $75 worth of entertainment.

3. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

I've had several of these - one I should have kept - I believe they are AXL built ?

dbrian66 and Forum Guest like this.
  4. Forum Guest

Jan 22, 2019
    United States
    That’s kind of where I’m at... here’s the best pic they have of the front of the body and neck together. Looks like fun for $75.

EE7FA736-82EA-4048-94AB-5416AEB187E6.jpeg

5. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I've never encountered one of these that was worth my time to take home, even at 50 bucks. But I don't really like starcasters or SEs either. I would rather have a Squier standard for 100, which is pretty common around here.

The AXL guitars with the cattle-branding/indented style logo can be cool though.

dbrian66 and Shine like this.
  6. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    I have 2 Johnson teles, left has a different headstock (Johnson est 1983), and is a quality guitar, near equal to a Fender MIM. I picked up a 2nd hoping for the same. The right has a headstock like the one you are looking at. Although a solid (and weighty) guitar it is not as nice as the left, although they both have nice chunly necks. I have it for sale on Craigs, and have some interest at $100. It is made at the AXL factory, who I believe makes VHT am DSCN4117.JPG ps. Offer $50. DSCN4116.JPG

7. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    I found a black one a few weeks back for $25.

I thought why not . Then I looked closer at the frets and they were pitted beyond help .

They had a black SE for $65. Some stoner put the wrong size screw in the trem cover and cracked it up the back of the body :)

dbrian66, Shine and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  8. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I have the same sunburst Johnson . I think it is a good guitar as it has an alder body and EMG-Designed passive pickups. It also has a great-feeling and -playing neck with rosewood fingerboard, easily one of the best among my 20 or so electrics. In fact that finish looks better than mine because the three slabs aren't matched all that well and the middle slab is a little lighter in finish and so the seams or separation can be seen.

I don't know anything about the construction, however.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  9. corn

corn Squier-holic

Feb 27, 2013
    San Diego
    I have used a few of these necks and reshaped them to Tele’s I think they’re great necks I’m always looking for them
    93A1DF35-899D-413A-9085-BF8F8723A1ED.jpeg

10. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Btw, you may hate or love those pickups ... hate, if you want more of a classic Strat tone ...love, if you want something different, thicker, warmer almost like the offspring of a P90 and a regular single-coil Strat pickup. At least that is my $0.02.

11. Forum Guest

Jan 22, 2019
    United States
    I planned to reach out to the guy last night to offer him $50 to try to get the ball rolling on a deal, but I took too long thinking about it, and it’s gone... it is what it is...

These seem to pop up semi-frequently in my neck of the woods. At least more more frequently than reasonably priced Squires and Starcasters do.

I’m more prepared/knowledgeable next time I see one come up. Thanks for all of your input on these!

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.