JM hum issue (angle of guitar)

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by Fezmond, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Fezmond

Fezmond Squier Talker

Dec 7, 2020
    UK
    Not sure if this is normal or not but I'm getting a lot of hum from both the regular and rhythm circuit.

However, it seems to be fine when the guitar is sitting in a normal playing stance but leaning forward or back causes a lot of hum, especially when the guitar is parallel with the floor. (see video, but is louder in person).

Any suggestions?

Just noticed that the pickups strongly pick up my watch ticking too, but maybe that's normal?

Eddd likes this.
  2. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Single coils are prone to hum, especially with a lot of gain. We have learned that just turning a few degrees in relation to the amp while playing can reduce the hum significantly.

3. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    I don't think that's too unusual. When I turn away, toward, up, down, the hum changes. Jazzmaster pickups are noisy beasts. If you get no hum in the middle position on the lead circuit, you're okay.

You might get some slight improvement by shielding the PG.

4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2014
    Gilbert, AZ
    As mentioned, this is typical, nothing unusual. You can shield the cavities and pickguard and it will help, but never eliminate single coil hum. You could even apply copper foil to the cover and coil (at the cost of some additional capacitance loading), but I rather just kick in the middle position for hum canceling.

5. Eddd

Eddd Squier-Nut

Nov 20, 2019
    Canada
    My JMJM and all my Teles do the same thing, even the watch ticking sound.

6. Fezmond

Fezmond Squier Talker

Dec 7, 2020
    UK
    Ah ok, thanks guys.

First time with single coils so not really sure how they all work. Still not sure how the angle of a guitar changes the level of hum but at least it's normal.

7. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-holic

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    When you lean or turn, you're changing the position/angle of the pickup in relation to the house wiring, or whatever you're picking up the hum from. Hence the changes.

VealCutlet and Fezmond like this.
  8. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    Some of my Strats do this, some don't and I think it's down to the pickups. My ones with Dimarzio True Velvets and Fender Noiseless don't, the others with stock MIM and Rio Grande pickups do.

9. strat_strummer

strat_strummer John Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    If you are playing somewhat close to a florescent light fixture it will make it hum also.

Dr Improbable likes this.
  10. Fezmond

Fezmond Squier Talker

Dec 7, 2020
    UK
    Today, with absolutely no change in the gear, location, lights above me etc. there is basically zero hum.

drewcp likes this.