Jagmaster Conversion Neck Myth

Discussion in 'Squier Duo-Sonic & Jagmaster' started by Hugh, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Hugh

Hugh Squier-Nut

Dec 15, 2009
    USA
    Several posters on various forums claim the current model Jagmaster necks will work on a strat. Not true. To make it work, the saddles would have to be moved towards the neck so far the height adjustment screws would be sitting on the bridge plate screws or even on the wood beyond the plate.

One guy on the short scale forum has a JM neck on a strat, but the saddles just sit there held in place by string tension, not the intonation adjustment screw.. they aren't long enough :roll:

I suppose one could find longer screws and put a piece of metal in front of the bridge plate if need be, but then the trem would be useless.

bummer

2. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Doesn't sound like a very good plan! I'm wondering why anyone would want to do that in the first place. :confused:

3. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Like tryin' to put a square peg in a round hole..

4. Hugh

Hugh Squier-Nut

Dec 15, 2009
    USA
    Well, I wanted a short scale strat. It will bolt right on.

But, won't work unless I mod it and give up use of the Callaham trem I put on it. That's not happening lol.

I just dig the Jagmaster 24" scale. Love the neck.

5. D34dBaWx

D34dBaWx Squier-holic

Dec 23, 2009
    Ark
    I think they work on teles better cause the screws for moving the saddle back and forth have alot more travel

6. ghostwolf

ghostwolf Squier-holic

Dec 30, 2009
    texas
    well, this is one option-
    http://www.rondomusic.com/product1433.html

Attached Files:

7. DaFulla

DaFulla Squier-Meister

May 22, 2010
    Wyandotte, MI
    Reading up on conversion necks, you still need some bridge adjustment. You can get that by physically moving the bridge, or just the saddles. A trem equipped strat is going to be your worst candidate for that, since there is so little travel on the saddles.

I've tried a Vintage Modified Thinline tele (24.75") neck I have on a Classic Vibe Custom, and it needs just slightly longer intonation screws to comfortably reach 24.75", but it's pretty close as is.

rondomusic.com has some short-scale strats on their site. I think the SX's are 3/4 gits, but the Douglas Peragos are genuine short-scale/full-size.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  8. DaFulla

DaFulla Squier-Meister

May 22, 2010
    Wyandotte, MI
  9. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    That Douglas looks like it could be a nice fun guitar.

10. Hugh

Hugh Squier-Nut

Dec 15, 2009
    USA
    thanks for the info and suggestions.... I've got the neck back on the JM body. Probably just upgrade the pups on the JM down the road.

11. Telepicker

Telepicker Squier-Meister

Jan 3, 2010
    Canada
    Hey, that's a great idea. I have an extra VM Thinline neck. I may try it on the CV Thinline. I love the VM neck and the CV body. It would be a CVVM Thinline! :D

(later that same day....)
    I just tried it. This is sweet! I'm in luv. Feels like the VM, but lighter, and sounds like the CV but a touch fuller. The neck just married with the CV body without a hitch.

I had to adjust the saddles to their fullest extent on the hi e and b strings to intonate. I could use a little more, so I see why a longer screw would be needed.

So not only is the JM "conversion" neck a myth, the 24 and 3/4" VM Tele "conversion" neck is also a myth but it can be made to work.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  12. Hugh

Hugh Squier-Nut

Dec 15, 2009
    USA
    I'd consider one of those Rondo short scales if they had smaller frets.

My Jagmaster is listed on the spec sheet as having medium jumbo frets, and my Classic Vibe Strat neck has med/jumbo. But the JM's frets are smaller. Anyone else notice that on their JM ?

13. stratphobic

stratphobic Squier-holic

Jan 15, 2011
    Arkansas
    i had my CV duo-sonic and jagmaster necks side by side and the jag's frets are considerably smaller

14. Hugh

Hugh Squier-Nut

Dec 15, 2009
    USA
    I gotta say, the frets on the JM neck feel as good to me as any I've ever played. I can't find a dead spot on the neck either.

What size strings you use on the JM ? I've got 11's on it now tuned standard, but I think 12's will be better.

15. eriksen23

eriksen23 Squier Talker

Dec 14, 2010
    chicago
    wait would the same go for if i put a full scale strat neck on a jagmaster? would i have to pull BACK the saddles?

16. stratphobic

stratphobic Squier-holic

Jan 15, 2011
    Arkansas
    i use 10s. i tried 11s before and they were just too stiff for me

17. Hugh

Hugh Squier-Nut

Dec 15, 2009
    USA
    Yea, just forget it if you want to use your tremolo. They simply aren't a drop in job.

18. Hugh

Hugh Squier-Nut

Dec 15, 2009
    USA
    I hear ya. Not that much difference in tone anyway between 10's and 11's.

19. eriksen23

eriksen23 Squier Talker

Dec 14, 2010
    chicago
    not even if i installed a completely new tremolo?? please dont crush my dreams right now bruh i need a cheap jazzy in my life and soon

20. Hugh

Hugh Squier-Nut

Dec 15, 2009
    USA
    http://www.maldenguitars.com/storeMozak3ts.htm

205 bucks. No trem, but a hell of a deal.