Jackson JS12 Dinky

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Blues256, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Blues256

Blues256 Squier-Meister

Apr 3, 2020
    Poland
    Hey i am looking for cheap humbucking guitar, i did make up my mind. I do not need hollowbody but a super strat. I do own tele and strat with single coils. My mind is telling me to play some powerful stuff, i do mainly listen to things like Tool, Chevelle and Barones at the moment. What do You think of Jackson Js12 Dinky? Does it rock or not? How are the tuners and pickups? What about quality of it? Would You recommend it? Last thing i need to known, if it is so cheap does it have thinner body like bullet and affinity squier or it is full body thickness like other mid-end to high-end guitars? Im aiming for red one

Cheers :)

dbrian66, Taurus and drewcp like this.
  2. Eddie

Eddie Squirt Startocaster Infinity Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Not sure about the JS12, but I've owned the JS22 and it's so-so. Nothing special. Looks mean but plays not so mean.

If you want a guitar with bite, I would find a Squier SE and upgrade the pups to something heavy. I don't know about Poland, but GuitarMadness makes some nice high gain pups. I've upgraded all my Squiers, and several of them are heavy hitters ... for not that much money.

I think the JS32 would be a better bet and better value for the money ...

3. Stratlover84

Stratlover84 Squier-holic

Jun 16, 2016
    NY - EC
    I've had the JS32 and it was nice but did switch the stock HB's to a pair of Seymour Duncan PATB-1 (highly unique set) but didn't get along with the floyd rose unit and eventually took out the SD pups and sold it stock.

I always liked the look of the cheaper Dinky models:
    (a local JS11 - I would totally throw some alnico V or III HB's on it and call it a day)
    [​IMG]

I say if you don't want to spend a lot of $$ and experiment with a heavier sound, you can start with one of these - and if you find a set of improved humbuckers for cheap or used, all the better! This is the perfect opportunity to dip your feet in the world of DIY modding as well :D

4. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I worked at a Jackson dealer, and I would agree that the JS32 is the lowest price really good one.

drewcp and Blues256 like this.
  5. Andrew Holtom

Andrew Holtom Squier Talker

Dec 12, 2014
    Woodbridge, Va
    I bought a Jackson JS32Q a few years ago with Floyd Rose. I upgraded the wiring to a pre-wired Dragonfire assembly, put in the Hot Rodded Humbucker set from Seymour Duncan and locking straps and that's it. The bridge humbucker has a coil split from Dragonfire for more tonal options. Otherwise I have not changed a thing on the guitar and it is night and day the difference in sound from stock. I wanted to retain the basic look of the guitar, but wanted to make more of the changes internally, and for me that made the difference.

Blues256 likes this.
  6. Blues256

Blues256 Squier-Meister

Apr 3, 2020
    Poland
    Thanks guys for replies, i had been thinking of js32 on the past but due to the actual World situation i am force to Save more, I have limited funds as for today. I do only hesitate between white and red, so far red wins. Ngd in 2 weeks, hope it will keep in tune. Can't find SQ Squier here. Does Jackson js12 dinky has full body thickness like other higher end Jackson or thinner like bullet or affinity squiers?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    drewcp likes this.
  7. Stratlover84

Jun 16, 2016
    NY - EC
    A bit of research on google revealed the following: originally they debuted as 7/8 size but I'm not sure if that's still true. Quite honestly my JS32Q felt comfortable - I just couldn't bond with the floyd rose.

Blues256 and drewcp like this.
  8. Blues256

Blues256 Squier-Meister

Apr 3, 2020
    Poland
    Hate floyd rose too, never bought guitar with one. So i guess whole dinky line from the cheapest to most expensive has a little thinner body ?

9. Stratlover84

Jun 16, 2016
    NY - EC
    I would assume so. The word "Dinky"is most likely for its smaller size (7/8).

Blues256 likes this.
  10. Blues256

Blues256 Squier-Meister

Apr 3, 2020
    Poland
    Lust like Ibanez S and Rga have thinner bodies than RG

11. Blues256

Blues256 Squier-Meister

Apr 3, 2020
    Poland
    My only wish is they did offer more maple fretboards. Black and Blue would look much better with maple fretboard while White and Red with rosewood

12. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I forgot about the JS22. Where else are you gonna get a carved top and compound radius 24 fret neck for $199? Fender hits another homerun IMO.
    2910124527_gtr_frt_001_rr.png

Blues256 likes this.
  13. Geetarman72

Geetarman72 Squier Talker

Apr 18, 2020
    Deltona
    Jacksons are great guitars low end high end they are just good guitars. I've had a couple and they always are solid guitars

Blues256 likes this.
  14. Blues256

Blues256 Squier-Meister

Apr 3, 2020
    Poland
    Good to known

Guys ngd in two weeks. Im going to get red one

DougMen likes this.