I've become filthy.

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by brians, Nov 16, 2020.

1. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    So, there it is, out in the open.
    My name is Brian, and I just can't be clean any more.
    I've really tried and tried.

When I pick up a Strat, with all good intentions, it's just minutes until the fuzz and the OD kick in and I become a Cry Baby.

So, what's your poison?

Clean or dirty?

I'm really missing the old 100 watt days when it was cool to fry the drummer.

My current therapy is to force myself to play acoustic, but it's just not working.

I never used to always be like this......sometimes, but I was quite a believer in being clean.

But hey you know what? I'm loving it.

Thank goodness I have two jam buddies who get this.

Let's see where this thread takes us , and don't spare the horses.

Oh and talk up, cause there's a lot of noise over here.

2. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Supporting Member

If I'm playing amplified, it's clean or a with a little blues distortion. Years ago I found that playing with a lot of distortion covers up mistakes, and that defeats the point of practicing. A lot of my practice is on an electric guitar, unplugged.

dboulders, mb doug and brians like this.
  3. ToneChaser77

ToneChaser77 Squier-Nut

Sep 29, 2019
    Milledgeville, Ga
    I get it. I practice with an acoustic most days but when I do get the itch for electric its because I'm craving some dirt. Maybe not as dirty as some cause Im not all out distortion. I've got 2 overdrive pedals and I stack them so one acts as a boost and the other gives me that classic OD I love. Add a little reverb from the amp and I'm in Blues\Classic Rock heaven.

mb doug and brians like this.
  4. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I'm with @Triple Jim. I play with a light and bluesy overdrive pedal type of distortion 99% of the time, to add sustain and richness to the tone, without really adding any fuzziness or grittiness. Upon hearing it, I think many would probably consider it a clean sound. I'm doing it to simulate the sound of a cranked BF Fender Deluxe or Super Reverb at low volume with a SS or modeling amp, or recording direct thru the USB output on my Mustang LT25 and THR10C amps. I finally got Cakewalk to recognize the LT25, and it's completely free with no purchase required, so I now have another recording option, 'cause the Cubase software that came with the Yamaha amp will only work with it and not with the Fender amp.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  5. CV50sFan90

CV50sFan90 Squier Talker

Oct 10, 2020
    Minnesota
    I always play clean over the amp. Maybe with a little crunch sometimes.

6. Led Pants

Led Pants Squier Talker

Jan 4, 2013
    Iowa
    I try not to be a dirty old man (I'm only 52).
    If I start on acoustic I generally stay on acoustic.
    If I start on an electric and am clean, the dirt starts to creep in. The volume will creep up a little too, but manageable and polite, because I mostly play outside on the deck on warm spring/summer/fall evenings, so I try to protect my neighbors from hearing any gawd-awful mistakes.
    Sometimes however a song is heard, a mood is felt, a vibe needs exploring, an itch needs scratching. In those cases, fuzz on!! Yardbirds/Jeff Beck/ Zep I and II, Bo Diddley, ZZ Top, Neil Young... yeah baby!
    I actually think sometimes the neighbors enjoy those different OD/fuzz songs- gotta have some variety, and I'd hate to bore my captive audience with just the same stuff everyday.

If the wife is out of the house for the afternoon, and I get the whole house, then the volume goes to 11 and I rattle the plates in the cupboard. I just have to make sure I straighten all the pictures hanging on the walls before she walks in the door.

7. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Western Oregon
    I tend to run slightly dirty, and when I want more I switch to the bridge humbucker to really drive the amp. Recently, however, the lead guitarist in my band quit so I’ve been having to fill more soundspace and take over solos, which has me using my pedals more. It’s great fun, but something I need to practice more to do well and musically. Every now and then I try to crank the gain and get all hair metal shreddy...but I have no idea how to play that so it just sounds like Hi gain bad blues playing hahaha.

8. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    I'm using Cakewalk too, good DAW.

mb doug likes this.
  9. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    I like this, a lot !

mb doug likes this.
  10. Treehouse

Treehouse Squier-Nut

Dec 4, 2019
    The Arboritum
    Les S. Moore

mb doug likes this.
  11. Benlostforyears

Benlostforyears Squier Talker

Aug 17, 2020
    Western NC
    I nearly always have an OD pedal on when I play now. Cranking my amp to get natural tube distortion is unrealistic in my living situation so I need a buzz box to get there. Crank the pedal's volume and turn the drive to about 9 o'clock, adjust the tone depending on which guitar I'm playing.
    But sometimes you just gotta wind up that drive and shred some solos. I know some people think overdrives are just for covering up crappy playing, but imho some tones can't be achieved with natural amp distortion. Hendrix, SRV and David Gilmour didn't use them bc they wanted to cover up their mistakes.

Block Head Ike, mb doug and brians like this.
  12. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    Spot on man.
    Crappy playing is crappy playing.
    When you play with or for people who know their stuff, you can't cover up mistakes.
    I think you have to have good technique before you can use effects properly.

mb doug likes this.
  13. MrYeats

MrYeats Dr. Squier

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    Asking me to be clean is like asking a pig to stay out of the mud.

Led Pants, mb doug and brians like this.
  14. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    Like your videos

MrYeats likes this.
  15. howserx

howserx Squier-Meister

Apr 20, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    my skillz - >Cocked wah - > Distortion -> delay -> reverb -> Clean amp

It's just noise by the time it hits my ears. But I like it.

brians likes this.
  16. spanker63

spanker63 Squier-holic

Nov 16, 2010
    Upstate NY
    For me, it really depends on the type of jam. Some songs just beg for some dirt, while others not so much.

17. lost sailor

lost sailor Squier-Meister

Oct 7, 2013
    Wolf 359
    I like the edge of clean to light distortion, the harder I hit the string the more it distorts giving me a little dynamic range without having to make amp or pedal adjustments.

18. Block Head Ike

Block Head Ike Squier-holic

There is harmonic richness in the dirt! The opening guitar riff to "American Woman" is like a violin on steroids, it is oh so beautiful! Yes, distortion can cover sloppy playing, but if you really spend some time in there you will find that it lends itself to different techniques and yields unique treasures: sustain, harmonic overtones, "note bleed", grit, girth - these can all become a new vocabulary, a new "voice". Playing clean versus dirty is like comparing Joe Cocker to Pavarotti. OD or Blues Driver is kinda like Tom Jones.

[​IMG]

brians likes this.
  19. BarnyardShark1979

BarnyardShark1979 Squier-Meister

Jul 9, 2020
    Baltimore Maryland
    I keep a Mosky klone on with the gain way down almost all of the time, just for a little more presence and a touch of sparkle. Other than that, depends on the song. Some need clean the whole way through, some call for a little drive, some call for a Big Muff or an HM-2 or something.

I do like my clean sounds to be pretty pristine though. It always makes me chuckle when I watch gear vids and the person is like "Here's my clean sound" and then plays through what I would consider medium-gain OD, if not light 'crunch' distortion. That one guy who has the "Guitar Manifesto" channel on YouTube does that all the time.

20. Block Head Ike

Block Head Ike Squier-holic

My typical minimal setup is guitar-metal pedals "Ultraman"- amp. The Ultraman lets me dial in as much drive or distortion as need and also is an excellent tone shaper with a switch to compensate for changes between single coil and humbuckers:

[​IMG]

brians likes this.