It's crazy sexy but is it all show and no go?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by optofonik, Jul 21, 2020.

1. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

Yeah, I'm a trem kinda guy as well. My '51, Bullet Stang, LP, and Dano 12 string don't have 'em but everything else does. Man can you imagine keeping a 12 string with a whammy in tune?

dbrian66 likes this.
  2. jordnot

jordnot Squier Talker

May 1, 2020
    EU

Ok, thanks for clearing it up.

I thought he got in trouble with Rondo because of his opinions.

dbrian66 and drewcp like this.
  3. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    The part that really annoyed me was that the guitar I wanted came with a gigbag, and they could have easily shipped it in that, in a box with packing materials without incurring any damage. At the store where I worked, we shipped guitars like that all the time, and Martin, Taylor, Gibson, Epiphone, and many other companies, including Fender, ship their guitars to dealers without double boxing them, just the guitar packed in its original box with packing materials, and no case, and they arrive without damage. And, in the case (no pun intended) of Squier, Epiphone, and other Asian guitars, that's how they come to Fender, Gibson, and the other parent companies from the factories in Asia. Without the hardcase, the shipping was $73, but with the case the total cost to me including shipping came to $420, on a $159 guitar! So, instead, I bought three Squier Teles from MF, which they shipped double boxed, with the Squier box inside a larger box with packing materials around the Squier box, and all three arrived in perfect condition. And, they only cost me $32 each for UPS two day air!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    Taurus and mbroadus like this.
  4. John L Rose

John L Rose Squier-holic

Well . . . NCSA Mosaic was the beginning of in-line images and such. It existed before that with text-base browsers like Lynx
    BTW - Do you remember your Hayes modem command set?

Oops. Back to your regularly-scheduled guitar thread.

optofonik and dbrian66 like this.
  5. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I had AOL, which cost $3 an hour, and a grainy B&W pic took an hour to download on a 2400 baud modem.

6. nomadh

nomadh Squier-Nut

Jun 11, 2010
    SD CA
    Rondo is an outstanding company to deal with and out of the 100 personal reviews of liquids I've read not sure there was a negative one. I love the 4 sx guitars I have.

7. otisblove

otisblove Squier-Nut

Aug 19, 2016
    Chicago
    I’ve only had good dealings with Rondo.

I’ve bought 2 guitars and 3 basses from them.

One SX bass had a warped neck. Sent it back and Kurt refunded my money, no problem.

The other 4 (an Agile LP, an SX Strat, a Douglas violin bass and an SX P bass) were excellent instruments. The cases are nice too.

I live in Illinois. The shipping was quick as well.

JohnnyMac, optofonik and dbrian66 like this.
  8. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

I had the hardest time trying to explain to a friend that, although AOL was on the internet, it wasn't the whole of the internet.

Yeah, Lynx was a few months before Mosaic.

That would predate the WWW, IIRC, and my use of the internet.

Now that the dew has been shaken off the lilies . . .

9. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

This bit of modding looks intriguing.

[​IMG]

If this stock model had the three P90s my checking account might be shakin' in it's boots. Functionally, I prefer the Jaz/Jag style trem but the Bigsby above really looks the business on the Liquid.

[​IMG]

Shine and radiotech like this.
  10. John L Rose

John L Rose Squier-holic

There's something about the chunkiness of the Bigsby that just looks right on some bodies.

11. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    That's impressive, hoss.. remind me to never piss you off, lol...

12. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-holic

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
  13. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-holic

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
    What do you think of the Douglas violin bass. I'd like to have one but I'm not much of a bass player and don't want to pop for a more expensive brand.

14. otisblove

otisblove Squier-Nut

Aug 19, 2016
    Chicago
    I love it. It’s short scale, which I think makes it easier to play. Very light. Great tone. Thumpy. Especially with flat wound strings on it.
    I’m sure quality wise it won’t be confused with a $5000 Alembic, but it’s simple and does everything I want it to.
    Great value.

Shine likes this.
  15. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    I still have a 1200 baud modem on the shelf, and i had the first privately owned hard drive before the computer science class had one. Bulletin board, partial access through the college, the IRC wars and Nutscrape.
    Somewhere i have the box with the original version of Windows in it!
    I started at DOS 2.0.
    All that means, is that some of us have been wasting our time online for a very long time!

16. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-holic

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
    Thanks. Looks like it's currently out of stock.

17. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-holic

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
    I just found this one available locally but would prefer the burst finish.

Edit: Maybe...black looks pretty sharp.

Edit: Oops. That's an old ad and no longer available. :(

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 11:02 AM
  18. John L Rose

John L Rose Squier-holic

It does look pretty sharp, but the first thing I would do is paint the controls plate gloss black.
    The stock one looks like a Mad Max bolt-on job. It sticks out like a sore thumb.
    While I'm at it, I'd swap the knobs too, for Rickenbaker-style knobs.
    [​IMG]