Is this worth it?

Discussion in 'Squier Vintage Modified models' started by ToneChaser77, Jun 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. ToneChaser77

ToneChaser77 Squier-Nut

Sep 29, 2019
    Milledgeville, Ga
    I have an opportunity to trade a MIM strat for a 2010 VM Special. Cant find much on this particular model. Never thought I would even consider trading a fender for Squier but I think I am. Seller has it listed at 450 but I feel that's a bit high. Not to mention I dont have cash right now for a new guitar. I have 330 in the strat so I was wondering what a fair price on a like new JM SP is and your thoughts on the quality and playability of this model.Normal channels(Reverb ,Ebay,GC)
    turned up very little info on this particular model.
    Screenshot_20200607-110651_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20200607-110705_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20200607-110659_Facebook.jpg

2. Dinomikesr

Dinomikesr Squier-Meister

Nov 25, 2019
    South-East
    I would not make that trade.

3. GunnyPlaysLoud

GunnyPlaysLoud Squier Talker

Mar 13, 2020
    Wisconsin
    Yeah, I probably wouldn’t do it straight up, you will lose re-sale value. Maybe he throws in some cash or a pedal on his end if you really like the JM?

4. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    I don't think I'd do it, but its not my guitar. As far as price I found two on ebay with asking prices 7-800 dollars give or take, but that's coming from Japan. One sold listing on reverb for just shy of 400. In the end, your call, but I'd pass.

5. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    DO IT - these are super rare, especially that color combo - butterscotch with black pickguard. The Danelectro style bridge is finicky but it can be setup well.....It was only made for 1-2 years. Quality and playability like on all high end Squier guitars is top notch. The Model is 'Vintage Modified Jazzmaster Special' and the sunburst is WAY WAY more common.

Screenshot_20.png

6. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    He won't, resale value on this Squier Jazzmaster Special is 400-450

7. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

That special looks mighty tasty ? play it first - look under the hood ( so to speak )

ToneChaser77 likes this.
  8. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    I think the fact that the body on these is alder makes them more desirable along with the rarity - not like it matters but you know how people are, I've seen so many 'aversions' to basswood lately I'm about to puke.....over on Strat-Talk....

9. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    By the way, I don't think they were made until 2016 but I do have this....

Model
    • Model Number: 030-2800-xxx
    • Model Name: Vintage Modified Jazzmaster
    • Series: Vintage Modified
    Body
    • Colors: 2-Color Sunburst (503), Butterscotch Blonde (550), Polyester
    • Body Material: Alder
    Neck
    • Neck Shape: "C" Shape
    • Number of Frets: 21
    • Fret Size: Medium Jumbo
    • Fretboard Radius: 9.5" (24.1 cm)
    • Fretboard: Maple
    • Neck Material: Maple, Polyester Finish
    • Nut Width: 1.650” (42 mm)
    • Scale Length: 25.5" (64.8 cm)
    Electronics
    • Bridge Pickup: Duncan Designed™ JM-101B Single-Coil Jazzmaster Pickup with AlNiCo 5 Magnets
    • Neck Pickup: Duncan Designed™ JM-101N Single-Coil Jazzmaster Pickup with AlNiCo 5 Magnets
    • Controls: 3-Position Toggle: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups, Position 3. Neck Pickup
    • Control Knobs: Stacked Concentric Controls Volume 1. (Neck Pickup), Tone 1. (Neck Pickup), Volume 2. (Bridge Pickup), Tone 2. (Bridge Pickup)
    Hardware
    • Hardware: Chrome
    • Bridge: Fixed "Top Loader" Bridge
    Miscellaneous
    • Unique Features: Concentric Volume/Tone Knobs, Duncan Designed™ pickups, "Top-Loader" Fixed Bridge
    • MSRP: $499
    • Country of Origin: Indonesia
    • Introduced: 2011
    • Discontinued: 2016

10. Kenneth Mountain

show us the MIM that you are considering ?

JurnyWannaBe, ToneChaser77 and -r3- like this.
  11. mitch_cumsteen

mitch_cumsteen Squier-Nut

Jun 25, 2018
    Planet, Idaho
    In my neck of the woods, I can place an ad on craigslist and explain how rare the model is, how highly regarded it is, and how well it plays but all anyone sees is "Squier" and moves on. The "F" word on the headstock trumps Squier every time. I could never sell that Squier for anywhere near $300 where I live, however, the Fender would be gone in a week.

12. -r3-

-r3- Squier-holic

Jan 28, 2016
    NC Piedmont
    You should definitely check it out and if you like it, I'd say go for it! As has been previously stated above, it is a rare model. And it looks to be in great shape! You are gonna be able to replace a MIM strat WAY easier than you could replace that model Squier.

13. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    My price quotes are for online sales, not local.

14. ToneChaser77

ToneChaser77 Squier-Nut

Sep 29, 2019
    Milledgeville, Ga
    Thanks guys I think I'm going to pass on this one. Heres the Strat I was considering trading. I probably would do the trade if I hadn't dropped these SDs in it. Money wise I have nothing in the pups since I pulled them from another strat that has already long been sold. Actually parted out but still I think I'd be on the losing end of this deal.
    20200507_192229.jpg 20200507_192258.jpg 20200507_192340.jpg

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  15. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Cool Strat !

I'd keep her around too ;)

16. Kenneth Mountain

That is a lot of Duncan in there ? tough call - I do like that offset though !

duggerh, Shine and ToneChaser77 like this.
  17. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Personally, I'd do anything to dump a MIM. Of course then I'd feel guilty about ripping off who I traded with.

18. ToneChaser77

ToneChaser77 Squier-Nut

Sep 29, 2019
    Milledgeville, Ga
    Tough call is right. As far as resale goes I think it may be a fair trade. I just cant imagine that JM sounding as good as this strat. It honestly sounds better than any other guitar I own. With my American Special w\Texas specials running a close second. That JM is tempting though. I have a VM Jag that I like alot. I guess I'll meet him and at least try it out before making my final decision.

Shine and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  19. Kenneth Mountain

Never played one you like ? There are some sweet ones out there ?

ToneChaser77 likes this.
  20. Kenneth Mountain

seems like the pickups are the kicker - Does it sound great because of them or because the guitar is crazy nice ?

stock pickups really don't compare to those Duncan's ? this really is a tough tough call - I would have to say that the Squier would have to hold

it's own until you could put D's in it ? or take your strat and walk !

ToneChaser77 likes this.