Is This Surf????.......

Discussion in 'Surf Music Forum' started by willhowl, Sep 20, 2016.

1. willhowl

willhowl Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2011
    Houston Texas
    Just found this....Los Sraitjackets.....Rig Rundown.......This one is FRESH, ya'll....

Link.......

Looks like Fun, Fun, Fun......Cowabunga!!!.......willhowl........[​IMG]

2. late2guitar

late2guitar Squier-Nut

Feb 5, 2016
    West Tennessee
    I'd say so. Weird surf, but yes. I saw Toad The Wet Sprocket at City Winery, Nashville, last year. Great clubs.

Caddy likes this.
  3. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I'm not big on doing definitions because in the end they say "go here but not there." So instead I'll point out a few similarities and differences to and from the surf sound as created in its seminal years -- at least as I hear them.

Guitar tone was similar, but not derivative. These guys apparently hear a sound in their heads -- not one just copped of an old record -- and that (to me) is to their credit.

Clean but with reverb. Yeah, that part is similar.

The music itself, though, is to my ears rather different. Traditional 1960s surf put the emphasis on melodic line over a driving, but highly repetitive, bass line. This made the melody stand out much as laying a curve over a straight line makes its curviness stand out. Here I hear a different approach that emphasizes musical texture.

Yeah, that was with just a quick listen. One that reveals differences more than similarities. And such is not to be mistaken for a marking of "good" or "bad." Just different.

As the French say "vive la différence."

:)

-don

4. so1om

so1om Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    By all means it is surf and one of the best around, a few keeping surf alive. Theses guys always sell out strings of shows in Chicago... Great band!

corn likes this.
  5. tbb007

tbb007 Squier Talker

Aug 8, 2016
    San Francisco
    Los Straitjackets cover a pretty wide range (they have a couple of albums called Encyclopedia of Sound volumes 1 and 2, that are basically auditions for soundtrack work, running through a variety of tempos, moods, etc.), but yeah, I'd say that a lot of their best work meets any surf criteria. Helluva live band, too.

6. grayn

grayn Squier Talker

Feb 12, 2017
    Lancashire, England
    Anyone who can do a gig, in full suit and wrestling mask, has my respect.

7. novamax

novamax Squier-Meister

Aug 18, 2015
    Their influences are surf and Rock'n'Roll (and many others, they even cover tv themes like Ghostbusters or the Munsters, ventures-style). I'd say they do not limit themselves to surf (they do a very wide range). But I consider it a knighting if this band here actually covers your most famous song “Calhoun Surf“ (yep, go figure....):

“That was probably the biggest thrill of my life, having the guys who inspired me to play guitar in the first place record a song of mine. I couldn’t have been happier.“

For me, that settles it ;)

BTW, the LSJ signature model guitars (DiPinto Galaxies) seem to be modeled more after the Mosrite sound period of the Ventures (high output pickups) rather than after their first Jazzmaster period.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    duceditor likes this.
  8. jjudas

jjudas Squier-Nut

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    It's definitely surf and they are awesome!

9. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Yup! That's it!

So for the sound and the song. :)

-don