Is this squier strat original or fake?

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Xerxessq, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Xerxessq

Xerxessq Squier Talker

Jan 8, 2017
    Iran
    https://goo.gl/SmvmKy

If you check the link above you'll see an ad of a used squier I want to buy.
    My first question is that does the guitar look fake or not because the serial number doesn't make sense to me!? it says COS 1014. If 10 means 2010 then what does 14 mean? we only have twelve months :D something doesn't seem right.

Has any one of you played this guitar? I haven't heard the sound yet, I probably will go and check out the guitar today. I'm more into alternative rock music btw. Is this a good guitar to start with?

Sorry if I asked too many questions.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  2. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-holic

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    welcome to ST ! it's a 2010 bullet strat - 100 - 150 new - Any squier is great to start with ! Doesn't look fake to me ? the first 2 digits are the year - the rest of the numbers are how many were made !

Brever and DA King like this.
  3. Xerxessq

Xerxessq Squier Talker

Jan 8, 2017
    Iran
    Another question I have is that, is there any difference between -Squier Bullet Strat 1982 20th Anniversary Crafted in China- with the guitar I just talked mentioned in the first post?

I don't know which one I should buy. are the pickups the same? what's the difference?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  4. Kenneth Mountain

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    do you have a picture of the 2nd one - is it possible for you to play them before you buy ? I'm guessing the 82 might be worth more - not sure - even a s/n would help if you don't have a picture

5. Kenneth Mountain

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Do you already know how to play ? When it comes to pickups - it's a personnel choice ? what amp are you using - how long have you been playing ?

Flowing Chords likes this.
  6. Xerxessq

Xerxessq Squier Talker

Jan 8, 2017
    Iran
    I use to have an Ibanez electric guitar about 6-7 years ago. I have been having a classical guitar and haven't played electric guitar for more than 6 years now. I can play guitar but like an amateur. I can play songs like nothing else matters (without guitar solo) or the intro of "paranoid android" by Radiohead. That's it. I don't know any scales or whatsoever.

Here are the pictures of the other guitar:
    goo.gl/3Wa5AT
    goo.gl/xd1lb3
    goo.gl/kEUCQ0

He hasn't sent the picture of the whole guitar. He told me that the pickups are SSS(three single)

I haven't bought the amp yet. I can buy a more expensive guitar but I have been recommended that it would be better to buy a normal guitar and a good amp than to buy a bad amp and a good expensive guitar. That's what I have heard from others. I have seen terrible guitars having good sounds when they are plugged in good amps (like full tubes, etc)

By the way, thank you for replying my questions. I appreciate it.

7. Xerxessq

Xerxessq Squier Talker

Jan 8, 2017
    Iran
    How many squier strats are out there? Here is another one I found. It doesnt say its bullet ... Its crafted in 2004. It doesnt say COS it says CAE

I am confused
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. jimbojo

jimbojo Squier-Nut

Jun 30, 2010
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Lots of Squier Strats out there they started making them in the 80's. If you are fairly new to electrics I would suggest something new so you can just plug and play. Many older ones are modded and this can be good or bad.

Kenneth Mountain and Xerxessq like this.
  9. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
    I am guessing that the second guitar is a 20th anniversary and was made in 2002. If that's the case, I would probably opted for the 2010. The Bullets are still the entry level Squiers but the latest batch have gathered quite a following for "biggest bang for the buck" status. I doubt there is all that much difference between the two but if it is sight unseen, I would go 2010.
    The difference in CAE and COS I believe is just who manufactured them. CAE would be AXL. I don't know who COS is.

10. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    That is a Squier SE, far better guitar than a Bullet in every way. Get that one hands down.

11. Kenneth Mountain

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY

I have one of these " 00 " it's one of my favorites ! ! ! If the price is right - grab it !

12. Kenneth Mountain

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Samick maybe ?

13. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
    Possibly. I don't know if Samick has a Chinese factory. Same with Cort.

14. mikm

mikm Squier-holic

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    That's a SE from the "Strat Pack" Originally sold w/amp and accessories etc. Full size Agathis wood body. Electronics and neck on par with a Bullet. Tuners are better though. I like em better than the Bullet or Affinity, some don't.

15. Brl312

Brl312 Squier Talker

Nov 20, 2016
    NC
    I bought my son a squier affinity back in 97ish. He messed with it a month or so(he's a sax player) so he has tender fingers. Anyway at a show one night our guitar players gibby fail off the stand, pop, head stock gone. He's freaking out he didn't bring a back up. I remembered the squier was on the trailer. He grabbed it, tunes it played the rest of the show. I asked him how was it as I knew nothing about squiers then. He said its not a gibby or a fender mim or Mia but he was very excited. It was stock only had it setup. I swear I couldn't tell when listening to the shows recording the next day that it wasn't a Mia or mim fender strat. I still have it, still stock. I enjoy playing it ever now and then. Maybe i got lucky I don't know. I just know it's a damn fine guitar for 129.99 with gig bag back in 97. Thank for listening to this long story.

16. Xerxessq

Xerxessq Squier Talker

Jan 8, 2017
    Iran
    Yes . That SE guitar you are taljing about comes with a pack. But i dont want to buy the whole pack but just the guitar.

Are there pickups of the SE any different?
    The guy says he has this guitar for three years and its been in the closet... How many centimeters should be the distant from the string to the fretboard be? Im talking about the action of the guitar. As far as I know,since its been in the closet for three years, the warm and cold weather might have caused the neck and fretboards to get bowed. Am I right?

17. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-Meister

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Mights, if's and but's have nothing to do with reality. You wont know the the condition of the guitar until you have it safely in your clammy grasp. Buy it, change it, make it your own...

Flowing Chords likes this.
  18. Xerxessq

Xerxessq Squier Talker

Jan 8, 2017
    Iran
    By changing it, do you mean this guitar's pickups could be changed later, if I want to?

19. Flowing Chords

Flowing Chords Squier-Meister

Sep 27, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Most everything that fits a FENDER Strat fits an Squier SE-100.
    That one in the pics is an SE-100 exactly like mine. I have never seen one with the serial number sticker still on it. Must have hardly been used.
    I had to file the fret ends smooth and mineral oil the fret board and fix a broken tuner and widen a string slot or two but that's it.
    I'm going to 10's though 09 strings are too light. Best Regards

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  20. OldGuitarPlayer

OldGuitarPlayer Squier-Nut

Jul 17, 2012
    the basement
    Yes you can try different pickups if you don't like the ones in it now. Old ones can be removed and new ones installed. As to your other question.

Since the guitar has been sitting in a closet for years it will need new strings and most likely a truss rod adjustment and the action setup to your liking. 3-4mm above the 12th fret is ok after the truss rod has been adjusted. The tremolo may or may not need setting up too.

If you are unfamiliar with these kind of procedures I'd suggest you bring it to a tech or someone trained in guitar repair and have them take a look at it. I'd also suggest watching the tech do the work (if they'll let you) so in the future you can do it yourself saving you time and money :D

Edit: If you don't have a guitar repair person near you I'd also suggest ordering this book. It covers most things you'll ever need to know about guitar set ups: https://www.amazon.ca/Guitar-Player-Repair-Guide-3rd/dp/0879309210

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017