Is there any guitar you'd pay full-price, big bucks, for?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by duceditor, Jul 12, 2020.

1. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I don't have a desire to own high end guitars. I do not criticize people that do though. I'm very happy with my Mexican and Asian made guitars. I do want an Epi Firebird though. They're on backorder everywhere unless you buy used at new prices.

ToneChaser77 likes this.
  2. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

Nice Eagle!

ToneChaser77 and AngelDeVille like this.
  3. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

Maybe the EJ "Virginia" Strat. Not the Custom Shop variant but the production one.

ToneChaser77 likes this.
  4. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

No guitar is worth a week (or more) of an "off the beaten path" travel opportunity.

ToneChaser77 and RoyalWe like this.
  5. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Big bucks for one is pocket change for another.

Big bucks for me was my 2020 Epiphone Special P90. First time new guitar in 50 years. First one was a Gibson SG bass in 1968, probably because there was no way to find a used one then.

1968GibsonMelodyMakeBass-Red_%281%29__16944.1405448178.1280.1280.JPG

1.jpg

6. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Squier-Nut

Jan 29, 2017
    ABQ
    didn’t pay the going rate for that either, I know of 3 other fretless that exist.

7. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I paid full price for my two MIA Strats, my Pro and Performer, and they were worth every penny. I'd like an AO too, but $2k is a bit too steep. It really costs Fender no more to make those than the Performer, which is $1100, so I don't like paying more just to give them more profit. Even if one guitar has slightly better pickups or hardware, the actual parts cost difference to them is very minimal, so it doesn't make sense to charge twice as much for one than the other. The only thing on the AO that costs more is the nitro finish, and I prefer the more durable poly finish anyway.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    ToneChaser77 and jjudas like this.
  8. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-Nut

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
  9. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I also paid full price for a D35 and an HD28, neither of which I still have, unfortunately.

ToneChaser77 and CVSteve like this.
  10. ToneChaser77

ToneChaser77 Squier-Nut

Sep 29, 2019
    Milledgeville, Ga
    I know you're right and I've even repeatedly told myself that guitars are tools for making music and thus should be used as such. They are meant to be played and not stashed away in the closet in a case. Yet when playing electric I still grab a Squier or MIM Fender before my American Special Strat. I love the American Special but feel more at ease playing my classic vibe. Idk why and I know I shouldn't be that way but I am. Yes sir people are odd and I'm right there with em. It's ok though. I'm still having fun.

duceditor and radiotech like this.
  11. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    ToneChaser77 likes this.
  12. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    11C932BC-930A-4B84-8E03-B87B316249B7.jpeg
    Oops pic didn’t load...

13. ScoobySnacker

ScoobySnacker Squier-Nut

Dec 4, 2018
    Never-reach, NY
    Nah. I'm a value shopper. My last 6 guitar purchases combined total under $1500. And I'm happy with them all.

14. strummer101

strummer101 Squier-Meister

Jun 13, 2019
    ohio
    when talking new, I have paid $1200 plus for a couple of guitars, and I do not regret it. I buy guitars to play them and I am hard on them. good quality is nice every now and then. I really think though that decent quality starts around $300 the ones for less than that always seem to need work.

CVSteve and ToneChaser77 like this.
  15. The only thing that comes to mind would be a Stratocaster Ultra early 90's. I played one when shopping for a Strat back then, but settled for the Stratocaster Plus which was about $300 less at the time. I absolutely love my Plus and would never trade or sell it, but the Ultra got away on me. They rarely come up for sale but perhaps one day.

https://xhefriguitars.com/page4.html

Cheers, Barrie.

mofojar and ToneChaser77 like this.
  16. gearobsessed

gearobsessed Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    I've always wanted a ric 4001/4003 bass in sunburst.

17. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    No I wouldnt. How much better is the more expensive guitar than its “lesser” counterpart? And if you are patient, you get one used. The other aspect is I am just nit good enough to make that guitar do what it is supposed to do compared to its lesser counterpart. I enjoy the shopping and selling of used (not always, but mostly), and getting to play the new instrument. If I like, I keep. If I determine after a few moths I am not enamored with it, no biggies to sell it nice and cleaned up and set up to someone else

Shine, ToneChaser77 and radiotech like this.
  18. beagle

beagle Squier-Nut

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    No, it's a waste of money.

ToneChaser77 likes this.
  19. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    As was mentioned "big-bucks" is a relative term. In today's contiguous USA new guitar marketplace anything over $129.00 may be deemed expensive. So many perfectly good guitars may be had under the $129.00 mark that it's become a realistic benchmark for me. Yes, I've paid more in recent years. $300 for a used B stock Epiphone Wildkat that the previous owner had playing great. A bit of fret wear, but it's ideal for what I need.

I stopped buying "expensive" guitars when I landed my dream guitar. At the time I was climbing a steep learning curve pretty successfully by emulating Robben Ford. I poured over his instructional material. Books, DVDs, CDs. I had a chance to see him a handful of times here in the NY area years back. I saw him at outdoor festivals here in Jersey, small clubs downtown, small theaters near my home and even a show on the lawn in the town square. Love the way he plays. Love his 1962 Telecaster too. Having owned a handful of different Telecasters, an MIM, MIA, MIK, Squier CV and SX, I was still looking for a guitar to love as close to Robben's as I could find and afford.
    robben_ford_060.jpg

Found it. I was with Asian work friends in Japan and they were kind enough to take me to the guitar epicenter in Ochanomizubashi. None of us spoke Japanese but we were able to navigate the trains and get there okay. We must've visited fifteen shops. My friends are very gracious and patient. Last shop, upstairs, used section, there it was... It must've been under a kids bed for years. CIJ '62 RI. Sweet. Perfect condition. About $500. The worst part was I had to negotiate to show some strength for my Hong Kong friends. The Japanese are not big fans of negotiating. Especially since the price was more than fair. Anyway, I came home with it and it's the most I'll ever spend on any guitar ever again. I think.
    Telecaster CIJ 62 65.jpg 011.JPG

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  20. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I wonder how much the various opinions and experiences here are dependent on how we were raised -- on our underlying value system -- that in contrast to our wealth.

Many of us have grandparents, for instance, that came to the USA with absolutely nothing. That was so for me.

My grandmother, Rose Sucher, was such a women. She came here from a "shtetl" - a small mostly Jewish town in the Ukraine. She was a teenager who spoke no English but was sent here (I have no idea if she'd had any say in this at all) to marry a 2nd cousin who'd come over just before her.

All they had was their spirit and willingness to work. And great self discipline.

She and my grandfather worked and worked. Nothing was wasted. Everything was for the future -- for their children.

By the time I came along my dad, his sister, and brothers -- yes, even those once with nothing but hopes grandparents -- owned homes. Had education (Only English was allowed to be spoken in their home by the children.)

It was my dad who bought me my first Gibson -- that AFTER I'd saved for a crappy guitar and actually started making music on it.

He'd first said no to my request for a guitar. But when he saw what I was doing -- how hard I and my pal were working to master music making on those hard to play crappos -- he spoke very appreciatively to me about what he saw -- and said that I then deserved a decent instrument. And he bought me this...

Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 1.18.48 PM.png

It was the only guitar I had from my early teens all the way up until the money from the Abstracts started coming in as I neared my 18th birthday.

It, a good amp, a microphone, and a shared interest in a PA system. That was everything I owned of a musical nature. Or -- as important -- expected or really wanted to own.

The week my dad had decided to buy me (then about age 14) that electric guitar my grandmother visited. My dad asked me to bring down my cheapo acoustic and play and sing for her.

I loved that woman dearly -- all the family did! -- so I sang and played my young heart out for her.

The guitar's quality didn't really matter to me. To this day I remember my dad pointing to my grandmother foot tapping with the beat, and his big smile to see her made so happy by it.

When I was done he told her he was buying me "an electric guitar." "Oh", she answered with some disappointment, "but I think it is so nice when he plays it himself."

Who cared about having a lot of gear? Who at least in my circle growing up, even thought that a possibility, that would enter the mind?

No, but playing it. Making music. Making people smile. THAT mattered to us.

Life was about doing, not having.

I am thankful for that.

And yes, I think my grandmother's thinking and way of living, passed along, has served me well.

Buying a Gibson then, to my dad, was not a choice. It (or something similar) was what a musician required.

Interestingly my wife's parents felt the same way. They never had much. Never took vacations. Never ate out.

No, they lived simply -- but for their daughter who wanted to play piano and to sing and to dance everything needed was always there. The lessons. The costumes.

Jan still has (and treasures) the well used, but good, piano they bought her.

And it is she -- Jan -- who has provided me with most all of my better guitars.

When several years back I wanted a Jazzbox I looked at inexpensive used ones. "No" Jan said. "I see where your heart is!"

That Christmas, under the tree, there it was. A D'Angelico.

Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 1.56.33 PM.png

Not many. Just one. And I'll likely never even think about having, much less actually needing, another.

-don

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020