Intonation Question

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Lincoln518, Apr 8, 2021 at 11:18 AM.

1. Lincoln518

Lincoln518 Squier Talker

Jan 21, 2021
    Albany, NY
    So I just intonated my stratocaster and this picture is what my saddles ended up looking like. Is it normal to have them dialed back this far too the bridge or is this something I should be concerned about? The neck is straight with a slight bit of relief on the first few frets. Thanks in advance for the advice. 20210408_111109.jpg

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  2. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    New strings? Pickup height properly adjusted? Neck relief and string height properly set? I don't think its anything to worry about but you might double check all that and be sure.

3. Lincoln518

Lincoln518 Squier Talker

Jan 21, 2021
    Albany, NY
    My pickups are set low and the string height is as low as can be without fret buzz. Strings are about 2 weeks old.

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  4. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    I usually end up having to use smaller springs or cut the springs in half for the saddles on the low E and G strings on a Strat. I'd say most of my Strats have those two strings as far back as the ones in your picture.

radiotech, JurnyWannaBe and drewcp like this.
  5. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Squier-Nut

Feb 25, 2017
    Rhode Island USA
    1st thing that hit me.
    Slight relief on the first few frets....
    Huh?
    If you press the 3rd fret you shouldn't have more than a red c hair at the first & 2nd.
    If you capo the 1st & press on 17 or 18 fret how much relief is there at 7th- 9th.

JurnyWannaBe and drewcp like this.
  6. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    Yup...what Bob said. Capo at first and then see how much relief there is. If you don't have feeler gauges use a business card. If thats good then press on the low E at the last fret and see if you have 2mm gap between the string and the top of the pole, repeat on the high E and look for 1.5mm. Make sure string height is about 4/64". Some of this stuff a lot of folks "do by feel" but when asking a question like this we need numbers, not your "feel".

JurnyWannaBe and drewcp like this.
  7. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    None of mine are that far back, but don't sweat it. If it sounds and feels good, it is good.
    In my experience, intonation goes off as strings age, so don't be surprised if you need to adjust it again when you install a new set. I only set intonation when strings are new, and I change the strings when they don't sound right anymore, or if I break one.

JurnyWannaBe and Hal Nico like this.
  8. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Supporting Member

If you press the third fret you won't have any string clearance at the second fret. :)

9. fuelish

fuelish Squier-holic

I only see "saddle position" as a problem if the guitar cannot be intonated. If it's intonated properly, don't worry about it. Nobody but you is gonna look at your bridge/saddles

10. BarnyardShark1979

BarnyardShark1979 Squier-Meister

Jul 9, 2020
    Baltimore Maryland
    When I've upped the string gauge on some of my guitars I've had to crank the saddles way back to intonate properly. Some to the point where I had to remove a section of the spring that goes around the adjustment screw.

On my Mustang I ended up swapping in a new bridge because the stock one had the adjustment screws pressing into the strings:
    Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

11. Hal Nico

Hal Nico Squier-Meister

Dec 21, 2020
    UK
    If they have intoned correctly don't worry about it. There are variations on all guitars and strings/frets etc.

As they say, "If it works, don't fix it " :D

JurnyWannaBe, Lincoln518 and drewcp like this.
  12. Lincoln518

Lincoln518 Squier Talker

Jan 21, 2021
    Albany, NY
    It is intonated perfectly and sounds great. I just want sure if it was an indication that something was wrong with my neck.

LutherBurger likes this.
  13. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    Like any mechanical adjustment, it’s good to have it in the middle of the span so you can adjust it more if you need to, but you still have some adjustment left. Any more, and I’d suggest shimming the neck back slightly to get those closer to the middle (that’s also what micro-tilt necks are for).
    My ‘51 is about like that.

14. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    Nah.

Are those Graph Tech saddles?

Lincoln518 likes this.
  15. Lincoln518

Lincoln518 Squier Talker

Jan 21, 2021
    Albany, NY
  16. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    A micro-tilt ONLY affects the neck angle, and the height of the neck in the neck pocket, and has no effect on the length of the neck in relation to the bridge, and so has no effect on the intonation in any way. That's absurd!

17. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    Tilt the neck back so the headstock is further away from the bridge will absolutely effect intonation...

...or you are really bad at sarcasm...