Images!

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by duceditor, Sep 6, 2018.

1. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Just a kicked back frog... Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    They have the highway closed so we couldn't get pics of the actual fire . We are going to run back up there in a little while to see if it topped the ridge on this side.
    We counted 27 fire trucks on the highway from neighboring towns headed to the fire. 2020 is crazy and needs to go away...

Loin Lover likes this.
  2. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    "North Cottage - Detail"

North Cottage - Detail ALT.jpg

=don

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  3. Al Blanco

Al Blanco Squier Talker

Sep 8, 2020
    Bexley
    Well guitarists being creatives its not uncommon to be creative on other areas, when l was young l liked doing art which in later years transcended into photography.. heres some of my recent work taken with an infra red converted canon digital camera.. IMG_9193.JPG IMG_9190.JPG IMG_9210.JPG IMG_9233.JPG IMG_9519.JPG

4. duceditor

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Nice work! Thanks for sharing! :)

Yeah, there is some real talent here. With photography. Also with graphic design and more traditional painting. Look thru this thread with joy and wonder! (I often do!)

I think the mix of interests and talents are just as you describe. Here and in lots of places.

Some years ago I participated in a two week seminar for scientific and biologic photographers at a then well known school in Santa Barbara, CA. One day when a bunch of the participants were sharing lunch break one of our number noticed how many of the participants (almost all!) had very unusual, sophisticated and rather expensive watches.

Yup! A similar pattern. One that made sense just as what you observed does. In that case (not too different from here) it was observed that photography was a mix of mechanical technology and artistic expression. Just as were all of our watches. Love one, love the other. And we almost to a man (and women -- it was a female participant that first took note of this) shared in it.

So too with electric guitars. Art and technology hand in hand. Kind'a makes sense, doesn't it?

Sweet! :)

-don

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    Forum Guest, DougMen and Al Blanco like this.
  5. duceditor

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    "The Start of the Season's Color"

The Start of the Season's Color ALT.jpg

-don

DougMen and Las Palmas Norte like this.
  6. duceditor

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    "Late Season Flowers Against a Wooden Wall"

Flowers Against a Wall.jpg

-don

7. duceditor

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    "Come, September!"

Come September.jpg

-don

8. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    My version of live entertainment.

WGI_0270.JPG

9. duceditor

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    "Morning Field of View"

Field of View.jpg

-don

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  10. duceditor

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    There are quite a few of us here that are to varying degrees into "images" -- the theme of this now long established thread.

Some of us are snap shooters who share some of the fun and interesting things we come across in our daily lives. Others of us are into the imaging itself -- photographic in many cases. Other have shared dynamic illustration, drawing and even paintings. Much of which I at least have found exciting in even inspiring. So much talent on display. And true enthusiasm for the image.

In harmony with that I am here sharing something that I think some of us at least will find to be just that: Exciting and inspiring. No, not my own work, but a just this past week released YouTube video by my very talented friend and past musical collaborator, the greatly (and widely diversified) artist/musician Mike Machat.

Mike and I became friends back in 1964 when he left a rather good surf band, the Vibratones, and joined up with me and several very carefully selected local musicians to form The Abstracts. Mike joined us as our drummer.

But even then drumming (and Mike went on to for a time be a successful L.A. session drummer) was secondary to Mike's even greater passion: That of being an aviation artist.

Today Mike's work hangs in the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum, the Pentagon, and a host of other places -- including a large welcoming mural at the famed Edwards Air Force Base Flight Test Center visitor's center

Here, as an example, is one of Mike's works. One he was hired on to do by Chuck Yeager himself (and which got him a back seat flight in an F16, I think) with Yeager at the controls -- one timed to show exactly the place as it was lit when Yeager made his record breaking, first 'breaking of the sound barrier', flight

Screen Shot 2020-09-12 at 10.04.32 AM.png

Anyhow, for those interested in how one grows as an artist -- and this is equally true for a graphic artist and a musician -- Mike's newest video is just fascinating.

Here Mike leads us through his growth with the very technique used for the above drawing. (Yes, drawing! With Prismacolor colored pencils) -The very technique he covers in this vid. Something he started to do before he was even 10.

Enjoy!

-don

Oh, and here's Mike in the capacity I best knew him, and then the two of us together, both "In Concert"...

Abstracts - 1965.jpg don_brooklynmovie.jpg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  11. Wildfire smoke on what would otherwise be a clear sunny day.

Smole.jpg

Cheers, Barrie.

Uncle Joe, duceditor and Loin Lover like this.
  12. duceditor

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    "Flowers, Year's End"

Flowers, Year's End.jpg

-don

LAPlayer, DougMen and Loin Lover like this.
  13. duceditor

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    "We Have Lift Off!"

Lift Off!.jpg

-don

Forum Guest, DougMen and Loin Lover like this.
  14. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    No fires here in the middle of the gulf of St-Lawrence, just fog rolling in at dusk.

2020-09-13c.jpg

2020-09-13a.jpg

15. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Some from this past summer in Îles de la Madeleine. Our stay ends tomorrow early morning as we board the ferry to the mainland.

2020-08-27 Rose nanane et lune.jpg
    2020-08-26.jpg
    2020-08-25.jpg
    2020-07-27 19h52.jpg
    2020-07-24 20h38.jpg

16. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    We have had a few dozen green bell (sweet) peppers. This is the first red bell. Mrs. Lover is using them in a stir fry as we speak.
    peppers 9 14 2020.jpg

Uncle Joe and duceditor like this.
  17. duceditor

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I often mention my wife Jan and sometimes post old pix of her.

Here's something different -- one I took this morning. A casual shot -- no "makeup" or anything. "Jan au natural" I call it. Just a 'grab shot' with the ever present iPhone after a lovely morning together, running errands, sipping coffee together as we walked in a local park. Then home where I grabbed this.

I won't say Jan "likes" it -- but she was willing to let me share it.

Aging is hard for us all. Doubly so, I think, for a women.

Jan was 17 when we met. Barely 18 when we married. She'll be 70 on her next birthday.

Time is, I think, on her side.

Yes, I am partial. ;)

Jan Au Natural - Sept 2020 copy.jpg

-don

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    Gunny, Forum Guest, LAPlayer and 4 others like this.
  18. duceditor

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    "Contoocook River in Time of Drought"

Contoocook River in Time of Drought.jpg

-don