Images!

daan

Squier-holic
Oct 21, 2013
Twin Cities
@AxelMorisson
Yeah definitely I should have tried a different repair place, not that there were many choices where I live. There was a pretty good camera store that I actually worked at, but their in-house guy is who told me it wasn’t repairable. He was usually good with stuff (he put a Beattie focusing screen into my Rolleicord and got the shutter somewhat close to where it should have been) but digital stuff he maybe didn’t want to deal with.

AxelMorisson

Squier-Nut
Nov 15, 2021
Fagaras, Romania
well I have a new snail and a confused cricket.. here's them...
melc-jpg.242396
crikey.jpg

Attachments

• melc.jpg
    melc.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 28

AxelMorisson

Squier-Nut
Nov 15, 2021
Fagaras, Romania
@AxelMorisson
Yeah definitely I should have tried a different repair place, not that there were many choices where I live. There was a pretty good camera store that I actually worked at, but their in-house guy is who told me it wasn’t repairable. He was usually good with stuff (he put a Beattie focusing screen into my Rolleicord and got the shutter somewhat close to where it should have been) but digital stuff he maybe didn’t want to deal with.
well it's easy then- get a SH one, they surely go for peanuts now. A good not-so-used one can be had for significantly lower than 100 $... almost anywhere. To the "is it worth it?" I can only say - you know if it is for you. It was well worth it for me.. even the D40x that I got so late.. I enjoyed the easy photography it allowed. Instant keepers- most of the time, and not a lot of fuss to make decent stuff. That's a keeper in my book. I also print a lot- most of what I did were made on either D40 or 40X.

duceditor

Squier-Axpert
May 29, 2014
The Monadnocks, NH USA
A hint for photograhers looking to capture Autumn colors... Get out just after first light. The low sun means that some of the blue spectrum is filtered out by the atmosphere -- including the itself unseen, but color deminishing, UV.

As the sun more fully rises the contrast is increased -- either a plus or a minus depending on the subject and your imaging goals -- but so are the remaining greens that have long hidden the always there, but buried beneath them, reds, oranges and yellows.

:)

-don

duceditor

Squier-Axpert
May 29, 2014
The Monadnocks, NH USA
Great info Don. I'm wondering why you would alter the natural beauty of autumn colors?
I understand the is the style you love and I enjoy looking at all of your photos.
I was just wondering is all.
The Great Artist has done His work. To me just copying it to share - while legitimate in its own way (Hey, how many of us has actually gotten to the Louvre to see the actual Mona Lisa?) - just would give me little personal pleasure.

And that, simply speaking, is why I these days ‘take’ pictures. -The pleasure of the doing.

-don,

duceditor

Squier-Axpert
May 29, 2014
The Monadnocks, NH USA
just copying it to share - while legitimate in its own way (Hey, how many of us has actually gotten to the Louvre to see the actual Mona Lisa?)

@strat_strummer - Just thinking more about this.

Leonardo's Mona Lisa -- no one knows who she actually was. When we mention "her" name what we are thinking about is not actually "she" at all. It is how Leonardo rendered her.

Was she such a magnetic beauty that men lost their ability to think clearly when she entered the room. ( I know three women whose very presence quite often had that effect.) Perhaps she was.

But still, what we think of -- what attracts millions to her "presence" in the Lourve -- is not her own beauty, but the magic and mystery created by da Vinci's rendering of her.

This fits right in with the thread here on S-T discussing 'note for note' imitation vs the preference of some of us to add a more personal 'touch' to how we render a song -- any song.

I, within a very short time playing, was drawn to the later. Even things like true "standards" of the repertoire -- in some (many!) cases even songs done by artists whose gifts are way beyond my own -- people like Muddy Waters.

Why?

In simple words: All of the Above.

That someone would gravitate to, say, my rendering of "I've Got My Mojo Working" -- preferring it to Muddy's (Or the Butterfield group's) -- is not even close to the expectation.

No - I do it for the simple joy of creation. To me it comes down to the very reason I play. And image. And -- well -- everything. Such is life. Such to me is living.

:)

-don

Last edited: