Images!

JtTantrum

Squier Talker
Aug 8, 2022
Ontario canada
It's be fun learning how many here are and/or have been involved in photography. It, as much as music and writing ,have been central to my life,

That so many of us here have discovered photography's joys in a sense is not surprising. For both of these 'arts' -- photo imaging and guitar playing -- share the mixed joys of creating and playing with "instruments."

I"ve shared some of my own imaging, and had others join in adding theirs, on several threads. But thought that a thread devoted just to this might be nice. Along with the invitation for all to share their own works, be they casual or more serious.

When I retired from a career in imaging -- mostly for science and medicine -- I gave myself the goal and exercise of creating at least one "shareable" image each day. This to discipline myself and to provide a 'stage' for my eye -- to keep it alert to visual things and events -- even just the ever ongoing passage of light and time.

I've done this pretty consistently now for several years and have posted those images in various places.

For a time I was a 'hired on' content provider for PJ Media. The editor there used to enjoy posting my work sans article. Just images for images sake.

When he and I both left working for PJM I started posting daily on Facebook -- something that I continue to do under the heading "My Image for the Day."

I thought I might occasionally share such here as well. As today.

My image for the day today was entitled "Across the Way." It was taken from the location of my mailbox, looking northeast across the road to a neighbor's property.

View attachment 109642

-don
Is it just me or does anybody else wanna pop A-tent under that tree. Bring a good acoustic, A case of beer to bag a weed.... Just a beautiful picture.

duceditor

Squier-Axpert
May 29, 2014
The Monadnocks, NH USA
Is it just me or does anybody else wanna pop A-tent under that tree. Bring a good acoustic, A case of beer to bag a weed.... Just a beautiful picture.

That was very much the spirit that got me into the project that for me led to this thread. Seeing, appreciating -- becoming "involved" with the simple beautyy of the world around us.

Like so many of us even the 'country' feel of where I was born and raised (on Long Island) disappeared into boring suburban samnitude. Then schooling and life/career choices brought me closer to actual "city". -Something some people love and find beautiful, but that didn't effect me that way at all.

So my wife and I moved away from it. And until we could make that change full time it was a matter of us grabbing what we could. Yes, early on tents. And then a camper van. Then a weekend getaway cottage. Until finally... ah! ... full time surrounded with country peace, beauty and quietude.

I now live during the warmer months on my porch. (Winters here in NH have their own cold beauty.)

Bumnitude 2.jpg

"Under their own vibe a fig tree" is the old biblical promise, "...with no one to make them tremble."

Amen to that.

Yes, even now. :)

-don

Lanaka

Squier-holic
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
Second to last in series of Lily Pics.

Baby Lilies Ready to Bloom. v.0683

2A47A5CD-617C-4CA4-ADAD-402D7086AB31.jpeg

Here I tried to keep the fresh and crispy new feel of the little bulbs. So I moderately pushed viviance, saturation, also added a little denoising (not too much as this also kills the sharp edges), countered with a little sharpening (again not too much as it increases graininess), and upped the shadows and highlights a touch too. Then to focus attention to the center, I added a very subtle vignette around the perimeter, like a transparent black burst.

Only thing left is to get the old n dying flowers to complete the Circle of Life Set.

Below is the original...

Attachments

• 7C10308D-A2B2-4122-881D-AEF4ED721E2C.jpeg
    7C10308D-A2B2-4122-881D-AEF4ED721E2C.jpeg
    167.5 KB · Views: 1

duceditor

Squier-Axpert
May 29, 2014
The Monadnocks, NH USA
Second to last in series of Lily Pics.

Baby Lilies Ready to Bloom. v.0683

View attachment 239526

Here I tried to keep the fresh and crispy new feel of the little bulbs. So I moderately pushed viviance, saturation, also added a little denoising (not too much as this also kills the sharp edges), countered with a little sharpening (again not too much as it increases graininess), and upped the shadows and highlights a touch too. Then to focus attention to the center, I added a very subtle vignette around the perimeter, like a transparent black burst.

Only thing left is to get the old n dying flowers to complete the Circle of Life Set.

Below is the original...
It all works very nicely IMO! :)

Few cooks so freely share their secret recipes. Most just like to put the food elegantly on a platter and let the sights and scents work their magic.

That said, few good cooks don't have secret tricks -- eve if they don't let anyone know them. Just as photogrpaher's models have tricks that take them from being "pretty", to "OMG! gorgeous,"

I rarely share my "tricks." But yes, most every one of my images has them. "Painting with light" I call them.

Here, using today's "My Image of the Day" as an example -- an image with only moderate manipulative effects work. (Some have much, much, more.)

Original from the camera to what was presented...

Origi vs MIofD.jpg

-don

Last edited:

Lanaka

Squier-holic
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
It all works very nicely IMO! :)

Few cooks so freely share their secret recipes. Most just like to put the food elegantly on a platter and let the sights and scents work their magic.

That said, few good cooks don't have secret tricks -- eve if they don't let anyone know them. Just as photogrpaher's models have tricks that take them from being "pretty", to "OMG! gorgeous,"

I rarely share my "tricks." But yes, most every one of my images has them. "Painting with light" I call them.

Here, using today's "My Image of the Day" as an example -- an image with only moderate manipulative effects work. (Some have much, much, more.)

Original from the camera to what was presented...

View attachment 239534

-don

LOL, thanks, but it's really nothing fancy (so far), I just use the photo and image editors on my cell phone for basic tweakings. For SERIOUS work, I'd use the set of editor softwares on my PC.

On the iPhone it's purely the Apple Photos built in editing suite. There's not many apps on iOS thats not practically crippled with excessive ads. On my Android devices, I use five apps, Google Photos, PhotoShop, Polarr, Photo Editor and Snapseed.
Basically each app has it's strengths and weaknesses and I use them together and send the file to an app as needed to do what I need done.

Also, because the apps I use are all free and/or came with the OS, it's not hard to figure out how to use one or more apps to produce an art picture. So by telling people how I did it, perhaps we can see better pics of guitars on S-T! 😉😁👍

Last edited:

Lanaka

Squier-holic
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
I should add that for artsy pics like those shown in this thread, the tweaking can be rather extreme or drastic as the purpose is to compose and/maybe mod a pic for best viewing pleasure or to make a statement.

But for display pics like the ones I take of my guitars for documentation purposes, the tweaks I do on these pics are a LOT more restrained and are done to create the most accurate image of the guitars.

More often than not I'd also control the shooting environment for the best pic possible which would require less tweaking.

duceditor

Squier-Axpert
May 29, 2014
The Monadnocks, NH USA
I should add that for artsy pics like those shown in this thread, the tweaking can be rather extreme or drastic as the purpose is to compose and/maybe mod a pic for best viewing pleasure or to make a statement.

But for display pics like the ones I take of my guitars for documentation purposes, the tweaks I do on these pics are a LOT more restrained and are done to create the most accurate image of the guitars.

More often than not I'd also control the shooting environment for the best pic possible which would require less tweaking.

Quite so. As when a person speaks in public their very first self-assignment is to ask "what is the purpose of my words?" Then, "what does the intended audience know, and what do they need to know?"

And so it is for an imager.

A snapshot of one's granny is loved foremost for its subject. Composition and the technical aspects are at most secondary. Then the next point of importance is does it show her as we wish her to be seen and (perhaps) remembered. A warm heart? A hard, scolding, nature? -And again the technical side, and the actual "beauty" of the image itself, is of little real importance.

My work as an imager for science and medicine was like that too, but there what was important were things the average viewer of the image would likely not even see. And my career was based on being able to reveal those in such a way that they were 'seeable' -- often on a medium less revealing than that available to the original researcher. But -- and this was key -- the context was important. Visual "landmarks" had t remain almost as if they were road signs.

Thus upon my retirement my starting up of my imaging project. First entitled "Images from my Morning Walk", then -- at the suggestion of a newspaper writer assigned to cover my project for the local paper -- "My Image of the Day."

If there is one thing that most of the images there share it is that they are "image oriented," not "subject oriented."

The "Jan's Flowers # __" series is a partial exception to this. But even there what matters is the image itself, not how well the shared image represents the original bouquet.

That newspaper writer "got it" when he went thru large number of my daily images so as to choose (along with the newspaper's editors) a few to include. No photos of my granny were included. Nor. really, of any "thing."

As he put it in his piece... "the Image is everything"

Yes, the image itself. For its self.

-don

Image is Everything article WEB copy.jpg