Images!

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by duceditor, Sep 6, 2018.

1. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    Now if I only had a “real” camera and not just a phone...
    925CB75D-D80B-443B-8461-F861E25B859B.jpeg

2. Twostratsfornow

Twostratsfornow Squier-Nut

Nov 14, 2020
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks! A local community paper used it on the cover, and it was a favourite in a charity fundraising calendar I produced.

duceditor likes this.
  3. Twostratsfornow

Nov 14, 2020
    Ontario, Canada
    A phone is a real camera, don’t let anyone try to convince you otherwise. I don’t use mine for that much, but I should. I used to visit National Geographic’s “Your Shot” site frequently and I was flabbergasted by the quality of photos submitted that were taken on a phone.

daan and Loin Lover like this.
  4. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    "Growin' in the Snow"

Yes, coming across these in mid-January was a surprise. Nature's like that! :)

Growin' in the Snow.jpg

-don

Loin Lover, daan and Geode like this.
  5. duceditor

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I'd say 90% or greater of mine here were shot with my iPhone 6S Plus.

And having an even better camera is the only reason I think some about upgrading to a 12 Plus.

-don

daan and Twostratsfornow like this.
  6. Twostratsfornow

Nov 14, 2020
    Ontario, Canada
    Summer Saturday Morning - iPhone 7 1EE483AB-25F7-4765-89D2-69866FC0885D.jpeg
    I renewed my relationship with cycling in a big way this year. I would rather just use my phone over toting my Olympus when I’m out.

daan and Loin Lover like this.
  7. duceditor

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    "The World Dressed in White"

The World Dressed in White.jpg

-don

Twostratsfornow and daan like this.
  8. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    I went to school for Photography, I lived in an Artists Co-Op, I lived and breathed cameras, film and photo stuff since the early 80’s. My kids broke my DSLR like, 2 years ago and I sold off my 120-format stuff to pay for my car. So this is the longest I’ve gone without an actual camera since getting my Chinon SLR in 1984... I just feel like using my phone is “cheating” or something.

Geode and duceditor like this.
  9. duceditor

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Hah!

When my dad told my grandmother that I, at about age 13, was about to get "an electric guitar" she felt that way. "I so much like it when he plays it himself" said she.

Seriously, that is how some people saw it those new fangled things.

To me -- and I both studied film arts and made a lifetime career of doing it -- a camera is just a tool that records patterns of light. If it does that and I can transmorgify what it records into what I "see" in my mind then it is a good tool.

I still have gobs of great camera gear. Entire systems in 2/ 1/4 (Rolleiflex), 6x7 (Pentax), 35mm (Nikon F3 systems), 4x5 and 5x7 sheet film. -- its all in boxes.
    And my Canon DSLR system is still lovely, but it is used far less often than my iPhone.

Maybe I am just lazy? ;)

-don

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021 at 7:45 AM
    Geode and daan like this.
  10. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    No, you aren’t lazy, you’re just using the tool that makes it most easy to record the image you want. I just seem constantly wishing I had something else to use (a Fuji GX-617 with all of the available lenses if I’m honest, but that’s about $15,000 worth of camera... :( I’m frustrated with what I see are the limitations of my phone, instead of marveling that I have something that can do what it is able to do... “it’s just your attitude that’s the problem, Daan!” :)

Geode likes this.
  11. Geode

Geode Squier-Nut

Nov 30, 2020
    MB, SC
    @daan

I used Chinon gear
    w/excellent results.!

The 'Squier' of
    photo equipment..??

Modern tech makes
    a phone comparable.

daan likes this.
  12. CapnDave

CapnDave Squier Talker

Dec 3, 2020
    Fort Collins, CO USA
    I took this on my phone a couple of years ago when out on my morning walk. We have an observatory here and the morning clouds were just right. Enjoy!
    Stargazer at dawn.jpg

daan, Geode, Loin Lover and 1 other person like this.
  13. Geode

Geode Squier-Nut

Nov 30, 2020
    MB, SC
    Screenshot_2021-01-15-11-28-48~2.png I got a rise out of my
    LG-7 Premier Pro.

This, over 'the pond'.

Loin Lover and daan like this.
  14. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    My dad had bought his Chinon at a PX somewhere on a deployment to replace the Petri he still had, that the shutter broke on (it was stuck on about 1/15, no matter what you set it to) There used to be seemingly dozens of camera manufacturers.

Attached Files:

15. Geode

Geode Squier-Nut

Nov 30, 2020
    MB, SC
    Chinon made some decent equipment. I really liked the CE-4 and bought it over the contemporary Pentax ME Super. It had some very nice featues and accessories and was actually rather advanced in comparison to any of Pentax's consumer cameras. For example, it had a nice electronic Seiko metal shutter that was pure bliss at that time. Build quality was excellent.
    A little history, Chinon made cameras and parts under different names for a variety of companies for many years before finally going end-user in the late 70's. Design and manufacturing was their strong suit but don't feel that extended to lens...they probably bought that from someone else.

daan likes this.
  16. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    The Chinon I had, was the only one I ever saw until years later I worked at a camera store. Mine was kind of the lowest level one and I was checking out the really nice CE ones in the used area. Those really could have been a big player if they had a different name or something. remember the Minolta autofocus ones? The Chinons seemed just as good, but like 10 years earlier

Geode likes this.