I'm in trouble...

CV50sFan90

Squier-Meister
Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
Ever since my Uncle found out that I picked up a guitar and started learning a few years back, he's been back and forth on whether or not to buy a guitar and start learning himself. He's a huge music fan, and a big part of the reason why I really started getting into music as a kid. He and my Aunt are back in town from AZ for the week and will be up at our cabin this weekend. So yesterday I was sitting in my truck on my break at work, and I decided to check out the local Craigslist to see what new listings had been posted, and I came across the title "Squier '70s Classic Vibe Telecaster Custom". I looked through the pictures, then I noticed the price. $190 out the door. I thought "if it seems too good to be true...", but decided to send an email to the seller. The pictures showed some (admittedly pretty large) cosmetic flaws, but at $190 I don't care as long as it plays well. I asked if there were any other issues besides the damage to the finish that was shown in the pictures, and he responded saying that everything functioned perfectly and the only thing wrong with it was the damage. Cool. So I texted my Uncle and told him that I found a killer deal on a great guitar locally, that he should jump on it while he's in town, and that I would go check it out for him, and plug it in to make sure everything functioned properly. I met the guy in a grocery store parking lot, he got the guitar out, and I tuned it up & plugged it into my little NuX Mighty Air practice amp. Everything worked great. Here's the best part though: the second my left hand grabbed the neck, I knew it was going to be a great guitar. Then I strummed a chord without the amp and it just rang out so beautifully. Needless to say, I left with the guitar and called my Uncle. He asked me if I'd tear it apart and go through it, which I did and found no issues. He also wanted me to "do the neck like you did on your Strat" (I sanded the thick finish off of the back of it), so I did that too. I figured I might as well give it a good cleaning, polish the frets, and yeah the setup as well. Man, once I got this thing all cleaned up and set up it played like an absolute dream. Just a great, great guitar. Here's where I'm in trouble: I love this guitar. I really wish that I could keep it for myself, but I'd also really love to sit and play with my Uncle, and I figure there's a better chance that he'll stick with the learning and practice with an awesome playing, sounding and looking guitar. Here's the only before picture (doesn't really show how dirty it was) and after I got it finished:

Attachments

• IMG_20220628_172627_01.jpg
    IMG_20220628_172627_01.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20220628_203512459.jpg
    IMG_20220628_203512459.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 31

BlueSquirrel

Squier-holic
Dec 21, 2018
France
Ever since my Uncle found out that I picked up a guitar and started learning a few years back, he's been back and forth on whether or not to buy a guitar and start learning himself. He's a huge music fan, and a big part of the reason why I really started getting into music as a kid. He and my Aunt are back in town from AZ for the week and will be up at our cabin this weekend. So yesterday I was sitting in my truck on my break at work, and I decided to check out the local Craigslist to see what new listings had been posted, and I came across the title "Squier '70s Classic Vibe Telecaster Custom". I looked through the pictures, then I noticed the price. $190 out the door. I thought "if it seems too good to be true...", but decided to send an email to the seller. The pictures showed some (admittedly pretty large) cosmetic flaws, but at $190 I don't care as long as it plays well. I asked if there were any other issues besides the damage to the finish that was shown in the pictures, and he responded saying that everything functioned perfectly and the only thing wrong with it was the damage. Cool. So I texted my Uncle and told him that I found a killer deal on a great guitar locally, that he should jump on it while he's in town, and that I would go check it out for him, and plug it in to make sure everything functioned properly. I met the guy in a grocery store parking lot, he got the guitar out, and I tuned it up & plugged it into my little NuX Mighty Air practice amp. Everything worked great. Here's the best part though: the second my left hand grabbed the neck, I knew it was going to be a great guitar. Then I strummed a chord without the amp and it just rang out so beautifully. Needless to say, I left with the guitar and called my Uncle. He asked me if I'd tear it apart and go through it, which I did and found no issues. He also wanted me to "do the neck like you did on your Strat" (I sanded the thick finish off of the back of it), so I did that too. I figured I might as well give it a good cleaning, polish the frets, and yeah the setup as well. Man, once I got this thing all cleaned up and set up it played like an absolute dream. Just a great, great guitar. Here's where I'm in trouble: I love this guitar. I really wish that I could keep it for myself, but I'd also really love to sit and play with my Uncle, and I figure there's a better chance that he'll stick with the learning and practice with an awesome playing, sounding and looking guitar. Here's the only before picture (doesn't really show how dirty it was) and after I got it finished:
What a wonderful gift to your uncle!

Nadnitram

Squier-Meister
Jan 1, 2020
Ohio
Great find! I've been looking for the SH version for ages. I had the VM with the double humbuckers and it had one of my favorite necks ever.

CV50sFan90

Squier-Meister
Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
Great find! I've been looking for the SH version for ages. I had the VM with the double humbuckers and it had one of my favorite necks ever.
Yeah, after I got everything tweaked and wrapped up, the neck on this is every bit as good as the neck the 50s CV Tele that I used to have, and that was probably the most comfortable neck I've ever had in my hands. My Uncle got a real winner with this one.

Nadnitram

Squier-Meister
Jan 1, 2020
Ohio
Yeah, after I got everything tweaked and wrapped up, the neck on this is every bit as good as the neck the 50s CV Tele that I used to have, and that was probably the most comfortable neck I've ever had in my hands. My Uncle got a real winner with this one.
If I could find them for a decent price, I'd have both the SH and the Custom II (2P90). The SH would live its entire life in 5-string Keef tuning.
1656778792036.png 1656778803332.png