I'm Gonna Just Say It...

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by duceditor, May 18, 2017.

1. so1om

so1om Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Well? My love of Squier began in August or so of 1983 when the ads began showing up in Guitar Player, "There's Magic in the Breed". I sold my mini bike, the Global and pulled extra hours for the $169 for it. To me it was a "copy" but not really because it also had the Fender name. There was no way I could get closer!

It's still quite an exceptional instrument.

I switched to bass a couple years later with an old EB-3, but bought a 1989 Jazz bass.

During the "interim" I ended up with some old Gretsch guitars, a MIJ Bass VI and the Duo Sonic, a few others. I think about 2009 I got a used 03 Affinity Tele.

Everything changed in 2012 with the announcement of the VM Jaguar. I've wanted one since the mid 70s! Followed on by the VM Jaguar bass special, the Bullet HH, the Dimension bass..

I've used them without fail as a weekend warrior, completely reliable... all before the "praising" at S-T.

Some need work or tweaking, but stock they more than fit the bill.

Modding is not necessary, but at the same time, a modder's paradise.

And.... I missed the 90s and the 00s Squiers!

Rock on everyone!

2. Las Palmas Norte

Las Palmas Norte Squier-Meister

My intro to Squier began with an Affinity P-Bass, just to get a feel for the Precision Bass without laying out big cash. It was stolen in a break in and I replaced it with a USA Precision Bass which I'm truly happy with. The Squier name stuck with me as I began sourcing out Stratocasters / Telecasters of which I now have four ... for now :)

Cheers, Barrie.

3. Strato67

Strato67 Squier-holic

Jun 17, 2013
    Texas
    My first was a 84 Japanese squier strat that I routed for a humbucker in the bridge. It was black with a maple neck..I had a JB and the stock neck and middle..I played it for about 3 years..the neck was so sweet. I lost interest in them for a long time...until I scored a CV Tele custom...I wish I had kept that one...but since then I have owned several and they have stepped up the quality...when you can gig a 40 dollar bullet that speaks volumes.

4. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I'm not complainin'...

b u t...

Seems redundant.

It's why we're all here after all. :D

skypeace, Brever, so1om and 4 others like this.
  5. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    I do loves me some Squires! I am repeat offender.

I find these threads awkward.

6. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Its only redundant of you repeat yourself often.

I only repeat myself once, not often.

Let me say that again.... ;)

In all serioocity I do think this thread is a bit different than "Squiers are not cheap crap. They can be pretty good guitars."

I would have posted the above back in 2004 when I discovered for myself the Affinity series. But guitars like the VMs and CVs deserve more than that.

Going further this seems to be so for other Asian-made "inexpensive" guitars as well. In an earlier post I related my own experience of needing to go "up" to a Gibson to get a gig and session worthy instrument. I think that guitar -- an ES-125TCD -- cost about $350 back when I got it in 1961 or `62. That was BIG bread back then when a teen musician earned, typically, $15 a night.
    Now jump forward to 2010 when, with some talk going around about the Abstracts regrouping for a European tour along with the release of "Hey, Let's Go Now!," I wanted to get a similar guitar. Gibson didn't make an exact equivalent of that ES125, but this is pretty close, just a bot more 'upscale':

ES275.JPG

I looked at the price -- fairly close in 2010 dollars to what the my ES cost be back when -- and said "no way." Instead I got one of these for.... $349. $349 actual 2010 dollars.

ASR-70.JPG

Added a Bigsby (just as I'd done back when to the ES-125) and I had it.

How did that Ibanez compare to the Gibson I'd bought in the `60s? It was better in every way. Better neck. Better build quality. Fancier too. (Bound neck for instance)

The same is true IMO with the better Squiers. They are not "pretty good" for an inexpensive guitar. Not just 'starting points.' They are better than the so often praised (typically by people not around back then to own 'em) ;) American-made "classics." Moreove they are as "good" as the name-brand guitars are today. In some cases and ways actually better.

That is no small thing.

-don

7. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Actually, it sounds much like the end of many a post where we've defended Squier's, imparted on the quality of current manufacturing processes, and how great it is to be a guitarist gear-wise nowadays.

But that Ibanez ASR70 story... that IS new ;)

skypeace, duceditor and nobucks like this.
  8. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Shhhhh. The bots are reading this and archiving comments for search engines.

Squire sucks.
    Bad sustain.
    Tin tone.
    High action.
    Gypsum board bodies.

Epiclone sucks too. Buy a real guitar, an MIA like Fender Custom Shop, Gibson Custom, or PRS Private Stock.

Ishmann, radiotech, skypeace and 3 others like this.
  9. GEECEE

GEECEE Squier-Meister

Jan 11, 2017
    MI
    Well... I have very little experience with guitars compared to most here, but I do recall my first electric, a powder blue Kalamazoo. It was definitely an entry-level model made to be competitive at a low price point. I recall one manufacturing shortcut in particular - the bridge was a piece of curved spring steel and the trem arm simply flexed the bridge. It worked okay, but a very cheap-looking cost efficiency. There were no finish flaws or build defects I recall, but it was very clearly a less-featured, bargain instrument. The action was high and it wasn't an easy guitar to play. By comparison both my '95, ply MIK black label, and '14 Indo standard are worlds better in every way - more features, low cost, impressively good build quality and both are easy to play - low actions, good necks, etc. There's a lot of value for the buck and more than in times past. The same is true of other products as well. CNC, newer manufacturing techniques, technology and new materials have made a huge impact on things across the board. Used to get a car tuned up every 20 K or less. Now we get 100K+ on the OE plugs.

nobucks, duceditor and Caddy like this.
  10. so1om

so1om Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    On the plus side, that now adult teen is maintaining by still scoring $15 a night.

11. Brever

Brever Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    Other than some crackling pots in an old Bullet that I have, all my Squiers are excellent. Yeah, a little fret-end dressing, nut work and such for a good setup is all I have ever had to do (which I truly enjoy). Never a twisted neck or un-level frets or anything else that would cause playing problems. There is great quality consistency, as Don mentioned, from factory to factory. If I were wealthy, I might consider a Gibson or actual Fender but I'm not so Squier and Epi do me just fine.

skypeace likes this.
  12. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    If that's true then we guitarists should be triply glad there are Squiers!

Nah. Can't be. Just can't. (Can it?)

-don

skypeace likes this.
  13. hunter rose IV

hunter rose IV Squier-Nut

Oct 19, 2010
    seattle,WA
    I love the fact that my black "Gilmour " tribute Squier NC can smoke anything on the wall at GC, and all I did was swap the old bridge for a Wilkenson one, and add a set up/cream covers, knobs. It sustains like crazy, and is easily one of my favorites.

skypeace, duceditor and nobucks like this.
  14. skypeace

skypeace Squier Talker

Jul 31, 2014
    Connecticut
    Being a newbie having only acquired my first guitar a Squier Bullet, just a couple of three years ago, I remember the day I bought it. I went to the local music shop determined to get my first guitar, had what I thought was a decent budget for a beginner guitar thinking somewhere between $300-500 should get me started. I knew nothing, nothing about guitars.

The Bullet HSS sunburst caught my eye, and the salesman told me it was okay to take her down from the hanger. Immediately I fell in love and thought okay this is going to cost. When he told me the price, about $119 plus tax I was elated thinking I need to pay for this quick before he changes his mind, or maybe it is some sort of fire sale and they are going out of business. Yet the salesman was calm and said he would set it up and intonate it while I waited and put new strings on it for free.

I watched as he worked thinking he knows this particular guitar well. He didn't treat me like I was buying a low end instrument, but he treated me just like I felt, like I had just scored the greatest instrument on earth. Feeling quite good I said throw in a guitar stand, and some other extras not believing I was going to leave with my prize and under $150.

I left that store with the biggest grin on my 61 year old face. She has has become a friend and companion. Yeah, Squiers have a place in my heart, too.

hunter rose IV, Caddy, so1om and 4 others like this.
  15. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Awkward, maybe I don't belong here................

skypeace and Brever like this.
  16. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    What a great story!!!

Enjoy! Enjoy!

Do, please, explain Davey.

-don

Caddy and skypeace like this.
  17. so1om

so1om Squier-holic