I'm going back to college. Join me?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Eddie, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Eddie

Eddie My Squier is on Fire !!!

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I just applied to a tuition-free online graduate school program. I figured why not? Tuition-free. I have next to nothing to lose. I'm gonna try their MBA program.

https://www.uopeople.edu/programs/

Anyone want to join me and take some classes together? The only costs are the application fee ($60) and an exam fee per course ($260). Total cost for the MBA will be about $2800 ... something like that. Cheaper than 1 course at a private university.

I already set up my profile. First class starts on Nov. 11

OUP.JPG

MrYeats, Ladeeh, fadetoz and 8 others like this.
  2. Mojotone

Mojotone Squier-Meister

Jun 5, 2021
    Chateauguay, QC

Cool, never too late for anything I say, but curious a MBA in what, Explorer? :D

fattboyzz, dbrian66, Shine and 3 others like this.
  3. Eddie

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

The cost for the MBA is essentially the same as an Explorer. ha ha. Masters in Basically Anything. ha ha

From my research, it's an accredited institution. Probably doesn't have as much clout as say and NYU MBA ... but why not? Nothing to lose other than 1 Explorer. :)

fattboyzz, speelyei, fadetoz and 5 others like this.
  4. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2016
    Humm, maybe.

I was about 2/3 of my way through my graduate program in American Literature (just my thesis and I think 6 to 9 hours of classroom work) when I got my first job at a small daily newspaper as a reporter. And those hours were crazy as I was always "on call" for breaking news stories such as the latest cat beauty pageant (yes, small-town news). I never went back to complete my degree and I've always regretted it.

5. Eddie

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

This is a great opportunity. Online classes are very flexible. Think about it. Take one class at a time. That's what I'm doing. I don't really need it. But I wanted to take advantage of a free education.

Mojotone, speelyei, fadetoz and 4 others like this.
  6. Hadronic Spin

Hadronic Spin J Squier, Esquier Gold Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Um, I'm 107 credits shy of a BA...:oops:

Jason

7. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Good for you, Eddie!

Learn, get additional credentials. Open up who knows what now unforeseen possibilities?

When my son went off to college Jan decided it was time for her to return as well. She started with the then available equivalent of "on line" education -- televised courses with mail-in exams. Then, loving it so much she started at a series courses at Boston and Cambridge universities. (Yeah! There were lots to choose from!) :) And she, too, ended with a Master in Business -- done at night while she developed a new career by day.

You never know where such will lead you. You really don't!

Oh, and I half expect, any day now, for Jan to announce plans to go for her doctorate. She just loves learning so.

So again... GOOD FOR YOU!!!!

-don

8. strat_strummer

strat_strummer John

Nov 24, 2018
    In the shop building RCs.
    I'm too stupid for something like this.

9. ScoobySnacker

ScoobySnacker Squier-holic

Dec 4, 2018
    Never-reach, NY
    Go for it @Eddie. Your still young enough to put it to good use.

Speaking personally, I would be leery of anything that has a web link that starts with the letters "uo".

As in "you owe".:oops::confused:;)

Robb, Mojotone, Hadronic Spin and 3 others like this.
  10. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    The best thing about university were the nights in the students union bar...

40 years on I still miss them sometimes. :D

Robb, Mojotone, Hadronic Spin and 5 others like this.
  11. Shine

Shine Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2016
    West Coast Landia
    Good on you, Eddie--learning for learning's sake.

I never thought of myself as particularly school-ish, but I've been teaching CC for about 25 years and completed a doctoral degree in 2015. Not at all what I envisioned for myself as a kid.

Now I would rather tinker with guitars, get better at playing (and singing) in a few genres, travel, work on house projects, etc.

Good luck!

12. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    I don't think I'm too stupid, but I'm definitely too lazy.

13. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    I worked behind the bar at ours, and I agree. Crazy, fun times.

Robb, Mojotone, beagle and 4 others like this.
  14. sconniesquier

sconniesquier Squier-Meister

Aug 16, 2017
    Wisconsin
    Nice Work Eddie! I just got one word
    TOGA!

15. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    I'm teaching my 6 year old first grade at home.That is all the education I can handle.

fattboyzz, Eddie, duceditor and 5 others like this.
  16. ScoobySnacker

ScoobySnacker Squier-holic

Dec 4, 2018
    Never-reach, NY
    How do you do a Toga party on line?

Eddie, shingh2002 and Shine like this.
  17. wak atak

wak atak Squier-Meister

Jul 8, 2021
    florida
    maybe zoom a toga party?

Eddie likes this.
  18. radiotech

radiotech Squier-Axpert

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    I was originally going to college for electrical engineering, life threw a curve, and I ended up going to tech school. Spent the next 15 years bouncing from place to place replacing 50’s to 70’s tech with the most current tech, spent the next 20 learning/working on the latest communications tech for public safety. During one gap between jobs in the 80’s, I started back at college part time, just when I really got back into it, I was offered a job at 3M in field service that killed my class schedule. I never went back.

I make more than most of my HS friends that ARE engineers. I have the affliction (shared by many here) of “institutional knowledge”, the know-how of transitional tech, and how/why things work they way they do (usually legacy compatibility).

This is the exact reason that so many boomers are still working at a high level (much to the fury/chagrin of current college graduates).

Pushing 60, I feel no need to go back to college, I’m much more interested in continuing my goal of playing out regularly.
    Though I should probably take an advanced Excel class… I use it every day, but I find when I need macros, and formulas, that my knowledge is lacking, and YouTube videos only get me so far.

Eddie likes this.
  19. White Dog

White Dog Squier-Meister

Oct 19, 2011
    Iowa
    :cool:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021