I'm done with ShopGoodwill

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by mitch_cumsteen, Dec 1, 2020.

1. mitch_cumsteen

mitch_cumsteen Squier-Nut

Jun 25, 2018
    Planet, Idaho
    I'm 0 for 3 when buying from them.

The first guitar had a stripped truss rod and I made a very softhearted agreement because they are a charity. The second purchase was an amp and it was local so I didn't lose much when I found out it would only work when it was laying on its back.

This last purchase, I'm not going to be so forgiving. The fretboard is obviously separated from the neck. It took all of 30 seconds for me to see it when the guitar first arrived. The fact they didn't catch it before sending it out just tells me they have no business selling used guitars.

In my research about Goodwill, I found out they are multibillion dollar operation and two-thirds of the stuff that's turned in gets shipped outside the country. So, I don't feel like I'm taking advantage.

IMG_7944.JPG

2. Eddie

Eddie Squirt Startocaster Infinity Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I've had mostly good luck with SGW ... but the few bad apples ruins the entire pot. With no recourse on damaged or not working goods, I'm not taking the risk anymore.

Considering the bids have gone sky high, I'm not taking the risk anymore.

3. Eddie

Eddie Squirt Startocaster Infinity Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
  4. strat_strummer

strat_strummer John Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
  5. Deepblankspace

Deepblankspace Squier-Meister

Sep 28, 2018
    Washington state
    2 years ago, i won-repaired-and sold 100 guitars with shop goodwill. As soon as pandemic hit prices were out of my range for resale.

Mind you i was only ever making 5-15 dollars per guitar.
    But yeah now its too popular, too much competition. People willing to pay used prices, when i was only ever willing to pay "for repairs" prices :p

6. wickedtools

wickedtools Dr. Squier Gold Supporting Member

May 16, 2010
    west texas
    I think a lot of the bids are being bumped by employees. There were couple of times I was contacted by SGW that the winning bidder had backed out and I was the next high bidder. :confused:

7. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Nut

Sep 23, 2016
    Western Illinois
    I'm with @Eddie - the prices are the same or higher than in other places to buy used stuff.

The return or recourse policies are varied and normally a version of "as is," in my observation.

And at the average employee pay level, I'd be surprised if an "inspection" involves anything more than ensuring an item isn't an obvious candidate for the dumpster before listing it.

The reasons to avoid SGW are already more numerous than otherwise just with those points alone, I should think.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  8. Number 6

Number 6 Squier Talker

Nov 15, 2020
    Great White North
    Trogly's Guitar Show has taken a look at this.
    Some weird bids out there on some stuff.

Angry Possum and mb doug like this.
  9. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    I used to go to goodwill to look at guitars, but they’ve made so much with SGW that now the guitars have labels that say to bid online...

They do have sales once in a while where you can buy the guitars outright, but anything that’s already been posted is off limits... so there’s only ever a few available.

Angry Possum, mb doug and dbrian66 like this.
  10. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    You have to remember that they are not a used guitar store. My guess is very few employees know much about music equipment. Or TVs or sporting equipment or anything for that matter. They are just selling what someone else gave away. Anytime you buy from them it’s a crap shoot. They normally state very clearly that stuff is sold as-is. You just have to adjust your bid accordingly. Don’t bid more than you are willing to loose. Both guitars I have bought from them were exactly what the pictures showed.

Shine, drewcp, Angry Possum and 2 others like this.
  11. DoctorBB

DoctorBB Squier-Nut

Mar 2, 2016
    Beaumont, TX
    Ive bought a few guitars and a couple amps and all were nice. But now prices have gotten a little crazy.

dbrian66 and Angry Possum like this.
  12. rocket_tx

rocket_tx Squier Talker

Jun 6, 2020
    Houston, Texas
    I live in Houston and there a dozen or so around the city. I stop in them all the time, but mainly to buy CDs, cassettes and records. The few things I bought on SGW were ok, but it’s still a crap shoot.

Shine and dbrian66 like this.
  13. cool gouhl

cool gouhl Squier-holic

Dec 4, 2014
    Cincinnati
    Shine, drewcp, dbrian66 and 1 other person like this.