if you had say OVER a thousand dollars what strat would you buy.

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by gary mitchell, Feb 8, 2020.

1. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I’ve had my Strats every which way, one volume and one tone, one volume only (ala ‘51), split switches on HB’s, serial/parallel on HB’s, and a kill switch... Toneshaper with using the 2nd tone for neck-on... my problem is that the 2nd tone to bridge is so useful, I like the VTT setup for tone alone, just bit placement. I have settled down in my playing in recent years, and I’m less likely to bust a knuckle on the volume than I was just a few years ago.

ToneChaser77 likes this.
  2. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Squier-Nut

Jan 29, 2017
    ABQ
    Hate strats...

Ships on the 26th...

0516048000002000-00-290x290.jpg

drewcp and Best1989 like this.
  3. pblanton

pblanton Squier Talker

Jan 27, 2020
    Black Forest, Colorado
    That's about $5,500 more than "over a thousand"; though the OP didn't specify exactly HOW over $1000 we could go.

you could buy a nice used MIM and add the Lace pickups and Fishman bridge, pry for around $1000.
    Or, you could save ~$100 and use the ...
    So depending on what you pay for the guitar, add either $475 for the pickups and Fishman, or $375 for the pickups and L.R. Baggs, and you have your Townshend guitar for easily under $1k.

Here's a good guitar platform to build it on (https://reverb.com/item/32062966-fender-stratocaster-2007-red) but $60 is a bit much for shipping. Maybe if you live near Maryland you could jut go pick it up?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    Bothand Nether and IronSchef like this.
  4. pblanton

pblanton Squier Talker

Jan 27, 2020
    Black Forest, Colorado
    I get it, but for beginners, I always recommend that you block the trem and loosen the claw screws to "hard-tail" it.

It's much easier for a beginner to eliminate the complexities of a tremolo. Once you get through the basics, and are ready for it, you can un-block it and step-up your game.

waynes world likes this.
  5. BT224

BT224 Squier-Meister

Feb 7, 2020
    DFW
    A $50 Bullet in Cabo. The rest would be for "expenses" to get the guitar.

drewcp likes this.
  6. Floridatelepicker

Floridatelepicker Squier Talker

Mar 23, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, Fl
    A (another) 50's Classic Vibe (probably used) and (another) vintage Vibro-Champ. I paid $125 for the somewhat beatup 50's CV I got on CraigsList, and the Champ I bought new ($85) with my Tele Deluxe in '73. My first Strat in all these years, and I fell in love with it before I ever plugged it in. The tuners were worn out and the frets were uneven enough so that the previous owner set the action sky high. I did my first ever fret level & recrown and got a new set of Gotoh Vintage style tuners from Stew Mac (drop-in). A couple years later now and it still is my goto living-room guitar. It is the standard 2 tone burst finish and I would love to have a red one, and maybe a 60's rosewood board one just for variety :).

7. Rodiebobw

Rodiebobw Squier-Nut

Jan 12, 2020
    Rockwall, Tx.
    Maybe that and some good lessons to learn how to play em like he does!

8. Scarabeus

Scarabeus Squier-Meister

Sep 15, 2015
    I’d probably get one of these…
    ECAB2E2D-48E9-4523-A12E-EF8A84164006.jpeg
    ... and be done with it… Because really what else do you need?

But i might get one of these...
    5BC25ED2-96FB-4B37-9E38-C3BCF2C30BC3.jpeg
    and make it look more like one of these...
    9C0F2578-F6CD-4F0C-9E3C-2771673F3F91.jpeg
    Because I like the aesthetic

TEXINGA and Bothand Nether like this.
  9. pblanton

pblanton Squier Talker

Jan 27, 2020
    Black Forest, Colorado
    I have that same one with four small differences.
    - Instead of mint-green, the pickguard started white, but is now this aged, creamy color that more closely matches the knobs.
    - The neck is Maple/Rosewood.
    - The headstock is the smaller version, but I have put the old-style decal on it with the curved "Stratocaster". I love the way that decal looks on the smaller headstock.
    - It has the six-point trem rather than the two-point.

I'm at work so I don't have a picture of the full guitar, but I do have a pic I took to send the guy who made my decal.

upload_2020-2-12_10-33-27.png

Attached Files:

Bothand Nether likes this.
  10. Bothand Nether

Bothand Nether Squier Talker

Nov 18, 2015
    1k to spend on a Fender ST?
    You made me open Jauce, damn you.

If I had the luxury of time....
    -I'd patiently hunt for an '84-'85 MIJ E-Series that had been kept in a Closet or under a bed in it's case, with all it's candy.

If I had to buy it right now:

Fender Japan Stratocaster ST54-75RV (Special reserve Custom Shop)
    https://www.jauce.com/auction/s712565309
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OR:
    1993 Fender Japan ST-72
    https://www.jauce.com/auction/u290743684
    [​IMG]

OR:
    Fender Japan StratocasterXII ST12-98TX
    https://www.jauce.com/auction/d353343110
    [​IMG]

OR:
    Fender Japan ST71 WAL
    https://www.jauce.com/auction/u292141319

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OR:
    Fender Japan ST62TX BMT
    https://www.jauce.com/auction/u292141319
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sigh, why did I open this accursed site...I knew I'd see something tasty.

Best1989, TEXINGA and drewcp like this.
  11. captnsquid

captnsquid Squier Talker

Jun 16, 2018
    Canada
    This is s Nice lookong git. Much more stage bling than a burst. I think you did good ..

radiotech likes this.
  12. RMSblues

RMSblues Squier Talker

Feb 22, 2018
    San Diego California
    I'm with Snivlem, The Eric Johnson signature in 20200126_212141[1].jpg Aqua-fire-mist (1970 Cadillac). In fact I just got a great deal on one this Christmas....Aint she beautiful?

13. Bob123

Bob123 Squier Talker

Aug 13, 2019
    New Zealand
    I'd buy a Roland VG Strat... I DID buy a Roland VG Strat!
    I even got $100 change for my $1000.
    The seller didn't realise these will become very collectable in their own right.

Strange thing is Fender distanced themselves from them and sent them off to Mexico to be assembled. All American [but not quite, if you want to be picky].
    Then after a couple of issues discontinued them.
    Beautiful finish, mine was around 5 years old when I got it and flawless down to still having the plastic on the pickguard.

They have IMHO, 2 shortcomings..
    1: being the inability to turn the electronics off. You have to unplug to power them off. [easily fixed by a little know-how and a switch]
    2: Chews up AA batteries.. there's 4 x AA batteries in a nice little module. They should've sold with 2 modules that you could swap in/out, or given more life to the power and longer life.
    I tried to buy a spare module and my enquiries disappeared into the aether.. so I just keep plenty of rechargeable AA's.

The ability to have so many sounds coming out of a Strat is cool [although the Sitar is pure novelty]
    It's staying in my collection for a loooooong time.

Bothand Nether and gary mitchell like this.
  14. gcvsa

gcvsa New Member

Mar 30, 2015
    US
    I would buy some version of a mid-2000s FSR American Deluxe, like the None More Black, the Bad Boy Blue, or the Guitar Center 40th Anniversary Mahogany SSS. AFAIAC, this is the epitome of the modern Stratocaster.

Or a Warmoth equivalent thereof.

nmb2.jpg
    20108161_10212884461779531_5536209019405976046_n.jpg
    22154155_10212884462899559_3029189972149142384_n.jpg

gary mitchell likes this.
  15. Nortally

Nortally Squier Talker

Mar 7, 2018
    Berkeley, CA
    [​IMG] Um, none? But hear me out. I own three Strats. One is a '90s Fender, Mexican, SSS, authentically road-worn. I paid way too much for from a used store. Sonic Blue body with a Mint Green pickguard. Worn frets, finish on the back of the neck is totally cracked, it's been through the wars. I never play it. Make an offer?

Strat number 2 is a partscaster. I picked up an HM Strat neck from this guy really cheap. It turns out there was a reason: Although the fretware is moderate, some *genius* decided to take a round rat-tail file to the neck's nut-slot. After much effort, I was able to fill it with super glue and get it shaped to take a new nut. Then I had to find a body, but being an HM Strat neck, it's about 1/16" too wide to fit in a standard Strat neck pocket. I ended up buying a cheap body, probably from a Squier, and cautiously widening the pocket with a Bosch 1 HP palm router. I finished it with a scavenged Squier bridge and Guitar Fetish tuners & single PAF humbucker pickguard. It plays great, and it's a tone monster if you like a strat with a humbucker at the bridge (I do).

Strat number 3 is the partscaster I had in mind when I purchased the above-mentioned HM Strat neck and then found out it's nut was f-d up and it wouldn't work in the body I'd purchased. This one has a Strat-O-Sphere maple neck (tung oil finish by me) and a gorgeous orange GF body with a white vinyl racing stripe like a Mustang, all the hardware came from GF: Tuners, 2-point bridge, HH pickguard. I didn't like the GF PAFs on it for some reason, tried a bunch of pickguards, wound up putting on an obscure HH set called Hexbucker (their gimmick is that all 12 pole pieces are adjustable). Whatever, it's another tone monster, my first build where I set the bridge posts myself, and I just love it.

Between that, my Squier '51, and a couple of Tele's, I'm Fender'd out. Last 2 purchased were over a grand each, Gibson SG & Martin dreadnought.

16. KRamone27

KRamone27 Squier-Nut

Dec 12, 2009
    Carterville, IL
    I’d build a Warmoth strat exactly how I want with the parts I want.

17. John L Rose

John L Rose Squier-holic

Ah. With this budget to burn, my dream Strat would look like this:

[​IMG]

Yes, it does look remarkably like a Rickenbacker 370/12 in Fireglo.
    Funny thing, that. o_O

Nortally likes this.
  18. Redwhiteandblues

Redwhiteandblues Squier-Nut

Mar 28, 2018
    North idaho
  19. TEXINGA

TEXINGA Squier-Nut

Dec 7, 2018
    GA
    I have one with a few mods and I love it.

xivie 167.jpg

Scarabeus likes this.