if you had say OVER a thousand dollars what strat would you buy.

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by gary mitchell, Feb 8, 2020.

1. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    myself i would buy a used zion, i had one in the early 90s , it was loaded with megs sa/sa/81 pickups ,i loved that guitar saved up a long time for it. the picture below is one like it. but a drummers cymbal got knock over striking my zion breaking the neck, had it fixed the few months later playing an outside gig, some one trip over some wires and broke the neck again . had it fixed again then sold, didn't get near the price i paid for it, i loved that guitar a lot, it was my dream guitar it had a floyd rose loved it, but i couldn't afford another one. ended up with a use gibson les paul. images.jpeg

2. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Here's what I would get with $1000:

- used Katana 100 head ~ $220
    - used FGN NCLC100 Les Paul Custom ~ $800

That means I would have to shell out $20 from my own pocket. ha ha

3. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    So no one thus far would buy a Strat? I'd buy one of the candy green Claptons.

4. Stillhouse

Stillhouse Squier Talker

Dec 15, 2013
    Deep In The South Of Texas
    Probably a Jimmie Vaughan Tex Mex.

Davey, Rodiebobw, Mr Bones and 6 others like this.
  5. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Squier-holic

Feb 14, 2019
    I’d buy up all the used Standard Strats & Teles I could find. The Standards just seem to be the most bang for your buck that Squier offers.

6. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I like the new HM, but they're more than a grand.

7. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    A New Purple Lead III isn't technically a Strat, but that's where I'd put my money if I had an extra grand.

8. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I’ve gone through so many Strats to get where I’m at (and completely happy with).
    Used & Modded MIM GC FSR, was SSH originally, now has a set of American Standard A5’s, and Fender/Ping locking tuners.
    I might have preferred a burst, but this is a very solid/reliable/comfortable player (except for the knuckle busting volume control).
    $200 for the Strat, $75 for the loaded guard (included a tone shaper), and $50 for the tuners.
    I don’t need any more strat than this.
    CE8F3773-85DF-4692-A5A6-C9C60B4A686F.jpeg

Tool, Sonicbridge, captnsquid and 8 others like this.
  9. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

For a thousand I'd get a custom body and neck made and finished to my specs, and all the hardware of my choice that I'd need to put it together.

10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
  11. ToneChaser77

ToneChaser77 Squier-Nut

Sep 29, 2019
    Milledgeville, Ga
    Well it does say OVER a thousand dollars and asks what STRAT would you buy.
    Screenshot_20200208-093044_Chrome.jpg
    But realistically I would never drop that kind of cash on an axe so this would probably be it. Funny thing is I had a Squier standard that was very close and I sold it. Similar looking finish, maple neck, 9.5 Radius. Different bridge and pickups. Still This one checks all the boxes for me.
    Screenshot_20200208-092716_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200208-092827_Chrome.jpg

12. drneilmb

drneilmb Squier-Meister

Jun 8, 2019
    Iowa, USA
    If I had $1000, I'd get a used CV or MIM for $300, spend $200 for badass pickups and a pro set up and pocket the other $500 for something where the expense really counts. Nothing in my guitar playing merits a guitar that costs a grand.

I must be reading too much TDPRI, I'm starting to get testy about guitar snobs. :) But if you just want to know what guitar I'm dreaming about in that price range, it'd be a PRS S2 Custom 24.

Or maybe I'd just spend the $1000 on components for building a couple nice tube amps.

-Neil

13. Hoss

Hoss Squier-holic

Dec 20, 2009
    McGill, Nevada
    I'd put a down payment on a 1959 Tweed Vibrolux.

...or, maybe a set of nut files from Stew-Mac

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    Mr Bones, jbrowning, dbrian66 and 2 others like this.
  14. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    The Zion I like I don't think you could even get a mint used one for a grand, first one I seen Phil Keaggey and he still uses it with Duncan pickups , his secondary guitars were a 1959 Gretsch Anniversary and two other flatline guitars,I went to a concert in Wichita Kansas took my zion to have him to sign it and he did. i really really loved that guitar. you can watch him play it on youtube.

jbrowning, dbrian66 and ToneChaser77 like this.
  15. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-holic

Well, I have a grand to spend and I haven't bought any strat. I guess that's the answer.

Mr Bones, jbrowning, dbrian66 and 4 others like this.
  16. Paruwi

Paruwi Squier-Nut

Apr 28, 2019
    Kraut-Territory
    maybe some thing like this.....:D

Big-Block Strat.jpg

17. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    OVER a thousand??

right on - I'll take one of these :D

[​IMG]

LIMITED EDITION PETE TOWNSHEND STRATOCASTER®

Known for his pummeling guitar work with The Who, Pete Townshend introduced a new sonic and visual vocabulary to rock ‘n’ roll with his masterful playing, inspiring countless guitarists to pick up their guitars and play. His innovative songwriting powered The Who’s rise to the forefront of the British Invasion and his auto-destruct-powered live performances set the standard of showmanship for rock guitarists. Since 1989 Townshend has played a Fender Stratocaster modified to meet his unique needs—and now the Fender Custom Shop is proud to present the Limited Edition Pete Townshend Stratocaster to players and fans.

One of Townshend’s hallmarks as a songwriter is his use of intertwined electric and acoustic guitar sounds. At his request, Fender incorporated a method for him to easily access both voices without switching guitars. A two-post Fishman™ Powerbridge tremolo bridge provides a palette of acoustic and hybrid acoustic/electric tones for Townshend to easily access as dictated by his needs.

Townshend has never been one to shy away from incorporating technology into his sound; the Townshend Stratocaster uses three Lace Sensor Gold™ single-coil pickups for noise-free performance inspired by classic, crisp, bell-like Fender tone. The pickups’ signal is boosted by an onboard Fender preamp to drive a tube amp into gloriously creamy and harmonically rich overdrive.

Designed to meet Townshend’s wide-ranging needs while performing his classic catalog, this instrument is the perfect palette for guitarists who need both acoustic and electric sounds without switching instruments. Blending modern musical technology with Fender’s timeless guitar design, the Limited Edition Pete Townshend Stratocaster is perfect for players who need a flexible guitar that will easily stand up to a few windmilled chords while sounding great all night long.

18. jbrowning

jbrowning Squier-holic

Jan 28, 2019
    colorado springs
    If it was me, I'd look to see how many I could get for $1000.00 . I don't need/want a brand new one. I would take a few from the '90's MIM. One red, one white and one blue.

Mr Bones, Brocephus, dbrian66 and 5 others like this.