Identify these tuners please

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by bigtuna, Oct 27, 2020.

1. bigtuna

bigtuna Squier-holic

Nov 1, 2015
    s.w.mo.
    Ok I'm looking for a new set of tuners. Prefer these in gold . don't have to be 100% exact but screw holes in same location a must. Who sells them. Oh and you get bonus points of you attached a link. 20201027_091200_HDR.jpg

dbrian66 likes this.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Those are your everyday cheapo trapezoid tuners....on most low end guitars.....there is no upgrade that will 100% match the screw pattern, even some gold ones in the same style MAY be off.....the specs have varied over the years......

If you're 100% set on not ever having to fill and re-drill a single mounting hole for any of the tuners....it's not gonna happen I don't think.....

drewcp likes this.
  3. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I don't think I have ever seen trap tuners in gold, but will be keeping an eye on this thread to see what the gang comes up with.

dbrian66 and Guitarmageddon like this.
  4. bigtuna

bigtuna Squier-holic

Nov 1, 2015
    s.w.mo.
    Ok . looks like fill and drill... Thank you guys.

drewcp, dbrian66 and Guitarmageddon like this.
  5. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Or get a set of Hipshots with the mounting plate. I put a set on a new Strat neck and didn’t have to drill anything. They are a little bit pricey, but they are really nice!

drewcp likes this.
  6. bigtuna

bigtuna Squier-holic

Nov 1, 2015
    s.w.mo.
    Well looks like dbrian just hit one out of the park. Now pm me your address to collect your prize.

7. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    But...they might not fit the holes like I said.....and the quality of them is very bad like the ones on there.....

8. bigtuna

bigtuna Squier-holic

Nov 1, 2015
    s.w.mo.
    I really prefer not to redrill . the ones I have are just too sloppy. If the new ones fit should last for a while. If they don't line up o should be able to return.

dbrian66 and Guitarmageddon like this.
  9. jtees4

jtees4 Squier-Meister

Jun 7, 2012
    NYish
    They are not worth replacing. Period. Get better tuners, you don't have to spend a lot either, many cheap replacements are still better.

10. bigtuna

bigtuna Squier-holic

Nov 1, 2015
    s.w.mo.
    Can u recommend something with same hole pattern.

dbrian66 likes this.
  11. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Like I was trying to explain, there is nothing with the same hole pattern that is a quality tuner....they're all terrible, the ones with that pattern....and the gold ones no better.....

THIS is what I do but it requires re-drilling....and you can do the same technique with 3+3 tuners, you just need vintage 8mm shaft style.....I even re-use the same bushings and leave them in the headstock when doing it....

https://amateurluthiery.wordpress.c...he-tuners-on-a-squier-by-fender-bullet-strat/

dbrian66 and drewcp like this.
  12. bigtuna

bigtuna Squier-holic

Nov 1, 2015
    s.w.mo.
    Think you guitarmagedden. I will continue looking.. Loved the article

dbrian66 likes this.