Identify the Squier telecaster game

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by nicod98, May 12, 2019.

1. nicod98

nicod98 Squier-Nut

Jul 9, 2014
    Belgium
    I have found this Squier telecaster in a pawn shop that really puzzles me. Even after studying many Squier telecasters I never read anything about this one existing at all. So I have an identification, but by turning this into a game, I hope to find out more about the backstory, about why it exists, and why I’ve never read about it.

I’ll start of with a few facts, which might hopefully lead to people sharing their conclusions and thoughts about which tele this might be and what they know about it.

Rules:
    • There’s nothing you can win, except for honour, gratitude and respect.
    • Don’t just give a model name, but also why you came to that conclusion (how you link it to the other properties, and the backstory if you know it)
    • I will add three facts/properties of the guitar every day. Some pictures will be converted to black and white, to avoid identification by colour
    CHALLENGE 1: the neck
    • 21 fret rosewood neck with the 12 th fret markers quite far apart
    • IC00-serial, so I suppose it is a 2000
    • hexagonal tuners
    The documentation I collected over the years, only puts the rosewood Squier Standard telecaster in Indonesia in 2001, but production could have started in 2000. At that time it should have a 22 fret rosewood fretboard. The 1999/2000-version has a 21 fret maple fretboard. I have a 2000 Squier standard tele (rosewood fretboard) with sealed tuners.

challenge1.jpg

Which Squier telecaster models were made in 2000 in Indonesia with a 21 fret rosewood fretboard and hexagonal tuners?

squierbilly and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  2. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Well the tuners would put it at the low end of the line so you'd think bullet or some promotional guitar made for advertising.

3. drewcp

drewcp Dr. Squier

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Since I can’t see the front of the headstock, all I can say for sure is that’s a Squier.

squierbilly and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  4. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    You're not showing the bridge pickup, color or the headstock face. So those must be giveaways.

I'm going with Standard Tele FSR: HS, with "Standard Series" on the headstock and a red sparkle body.

Kenneth Mountain and duggerh like this.
  5. nicod98

nicod98 Squier-Nut

Jul 9, 2014
    Belgium
    It is a low end-model, true.
    That was already in the post itself, but yes, that's true... You even know it's an Indonesian Squier telecaster.
    Colour could be a giveaway, and that's why I made the picture in black and white. On the other hand: the colour might lead to an immediate identification, and I'm more interested in the backstory right now. Tomorrow I'll post an update on the bridge (with the bridge pickup), although I'm not sure if that will solve much. It was quite misleading for me, and is part of my quest to find out more about it.
    I have never seen a Squier Standard with a 21-fret neck with rosewood fingerboard, so if it were a Standard, why would it have only 21 frets?

Is there anyone on this forum that has knowledge about an Indonesian Squier tele with a 21 fret neck with rosewood fingerboard and hexagonal tuners?

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  6. snivlem

snivlem Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2018
    FL
    body thickness?

7. nicod98

nicod98 Squier-Nut

Jul 9, 2014
    Belgium
    Please invite him to give his insights...
    As stated, I will post new information every day, in the hope of finding the backstory. The body thickness is one of those facts.
    In the meantime, my main question remains: is there anyone on this forum that has knowledge about an Indonesian Squier tele with a 21 fret neck with rosewood fingerboard and hexagonal tuners?

8. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    @Roccobagadonuts is the king daddy ooohhhh of knowledge on most every squier ever made. Hopefully he'll chime in.

9. nicod98

nicod98 Squier-Nut

Jul 9, 2014
    Belgium
    CHALLENGE 2: the bridge
    • 6 barrel bridge with symmetrical barrels
    • string-through and top-load bridge
    • 3 screws are used to screw the bridge to the body
    The 1999/2000 and at least some 2001 Standards have either the same or at least a very similar bridge, but this is no Squier Standard.

challenge2.jpg
    (I still have to polish the body and clean up the bridge and replace the string)

Which other 2001 Indonesian teles with a 21 fret rosewood fretboard use this type of bridge?

10. drewcp

drewcp Dr. Squier

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    The bridge reminds me of the California Series Tele, but those were Chinese, and didn't come out until 2003?

I'm surprised no one has been able to figure this out yet. I'm not surprised that you've stumped me though.

Shine and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  11. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    The serial no. And trap tuners should have given it away..
    But I just dont know didly about teles..
    Im going to guess some kind of promo or the ultimate parts caster..

Stratlover84 likes this.
  12. nicod98

nicod98 Squier-Nut

Jul 9, 2014
    Belgium
    It's no California Series tele.

Nope, it's neither a promo guitar nor a partscaster.

I'm really convinced that it is completely original. In the meanwhile I have removed the pickguard and bridge, and there are no clues that either were not original (there are no unused holes for instance). I don't think people will deliberately replace the tuners with these hexagonal ones (at least I hope nobody would).

13. nicod98

nicod98 Squier-Nut

Jul 9, 2014
    Belgium
    removed: double post.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  14. drewcp

drewcp Dr. Squier

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Is it Midnight Wine?

15. nicod98

nicod98 Squier-Nut

Jul 9, 2014
    Belgium
    If it were, what model would you think it is, and even more interesting: why would you say it's that model?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

16. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

this is fun and educating ! ! ! :D

SquierTap, nicod98 and Stratlover84 like this.
  17. nicod98

nicod98 Squier-Nut

Jul 9, 2014
    Belgium
    Sorry, I'm an IT teacher at a university college... [emoji3][emoji41][emoji847]

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

SquierTap and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  18. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Dr. Squier

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    The only thing I can think of is an early 2000 Affinity.

SquierTap and Kenneth Mountain like this.