Ibanez RG550

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by shingh2002, Apr 29, 2021.

1. shingh2002

shingh2002 Squier-Meister

Sep 30, 2020
    UK
    The more I look at the pictures the more I’m starting to believe this was the guys first guitar.

Would that be visible without taking it apart?

2. shingh2002

Sep 30, 2020
    UK
    For sure, and I won’t be making any decisions until I’ve had a good couple of months with it. Heck I don’t even know what they are yet.

3. shingh2002

Sep 30, 2020
    UK
    Good to know, thanks for the advice. I don’t have a resistance meter to check the pickups with but hope I can identify them and get a vague idea of what they’re about.
    I guess it’s the tone wood topic influencing a lot of those opinions, whether you’re a believer or not is a different story!

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  4. shingh2002

Sep 30, 2020
    UK
    Bought the guitar today for £375.

Took a bit of a punt on the blade not being damaged on the tremolo as I just couldn’t get any sight in with it being so tightly fixed to the body (the action at the 12th fret was about a cm!), but at that price I thought it was a fair gamble. The neck is in fantastic shape and there’s plenty of life in the frets - it’s going to be soooooo therapeutic to get them polished, they are incredibly dirty. :eek:

Only real issues I found was there are a lot more dings in the body that have been sharpied/nail varnished over, and the jack is really loose. Hopefully that’ll remain the case.

Will do a NGD once I get a chance to strip it, clean it up and put it back together again. I’ll be sure to include lots of pics for y’all. Give me a couple of weeks :D

Thanks for all the advice gang!

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    Best1989 and fadetoz like this.
  5. fadetoz

fadetoz Dr. Squier Gold Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    SO HAPPY YOU GOT IT!!!
    Once you clean it up and get it setup correctly you will love it.
    One thing I'll mention is the tremolo uses bushings for bar stiffness.. So you may need a set of those if the bar moves around too easily. Not an immediate issue but thought I'd mention it.

2021-05-04 10_08_52-Window.png

shingh2002 likes this.
  6. shingh2002

Sep 30, 2020
    UK
    Will keep that in mind @fadetoz , thanks!