Ibanez RG550

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by shingh2002, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-holic

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    I played one of those RG550s about 2 years ago, it had the purple finish. The neck was very comfortable for me, the guitar in general gelt very good. If those "old" ones are the same, then I would recommend getting it, the price doesn't seem bad either.

2. fadetoz

fadetoz Dr. Squier Gold Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    The reissue RG550 is 1k

3. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-holic

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    Yeah, that's the one I played. I'm not that knowledgeable in Ibanez, but if they are similar, then it's a great option to get a great guitar for around half the price. I liked the reissue, but 1k is too much money for my cheap blood, lol.

4. fadetoz

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    Did you buy this RG? I hope so bro!!

5. TheVoid

TheVoid Squier Talker

Jul 25, 2020
    Nebraska
    Yep. You should do it.

fadetoz likes this.
  6. shingh2002

shingh2002 Squier-Meister

Sep 30, 2020
    UK
    No, I haven’t been able to see it yet! I’ve got two very young kids and we’re limited to one car so gotta find the right time to have a 2 hour expedition for gear..! The sellers been slow replying too - still yet to set up a date. If it doesn’t happen Monday it’ll have to be the following weekend, and who knows what could happen between...

7. shingh2002

Sep 30, 2020
    UK
    If this was a £100 purchase I probably wouldn’t be thinking about it so much, but £450 feels somewhat more serious.

Though, I’ve been thinking of selling my Ltd EC-400 recently, and it’d be good to replace it with another 24 fret guitar but with a floating bridge.

8. fadetoz

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    Well unless there is damage I can’t see it’s a killer deal.

9. shingh2002

Sep 30, 2020
    UK
    There’s the missing bridge block, rusty bolt-on bolt, some chips to the finish on the body (can’t quite work out where it is!), and discolouration on the fretboard between the 8th and 14th frets. It still feels like a great deal. I just wonder if that’ll bother me long term and if I’ll lose out if I find I don’t get on with it and decide to sell it on. Still, I’m progressing with a meet up!

Attached Files:

10. 65refinyellow

65refinyellow Squier-Nut

Jun 29, 2015
    norcal
    The 550 is a real classic. Where as the famous Les Paul has the breaking headstock, guitars with ultra thin maple necks (Jackson, Charvel, ESP/LTD, Schecter, too) could warp, yes. But these usually maple necks don't crack easily though.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    shingh2002 likes this.
  11. fadetoz

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    It's an original 550.. It has some wear.. Wouldn't stop me for a sec.

shingh2002 likes this.
  12. fadetoz

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    Having SD pickups in it disturbs me more than the wear.. HAHA
    Nothing wrong with that but I would put Dimarzio in it myself. My Socal had SD pups and they are great.

shingh2002 likes this.
  13. TheVoid

TheVoid Squier Talker

Jul 25, 2020
    Nebraska
    Yeah, I am not a fan of Duncans in RGs myself. Never found any that sounded right to me in them. DiMarzio pickups are perfect in a RG. If I bought that RG550 personally I'd put an Evolution in the bridge and an Air Norton in the neck. Sell the Duncans.

shingh2002 and fadetoz like this.
  14. fadetoz

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    When I rebuilt my RG320 ( I call it a 1320 now) I put an EVO in the bridge and a PAF Pro in the neck. I also installed a new Low Pro Edge in it. Sounds and plays amazing.
    The RG550 is such a great guitar. If I had $450 and had one to buy I would snatch it up as fast as I could. You don't just find them for a good deal anymore.
    Your going to realize you should get it and it will be gone... Just saying...

shingh2002 likes this.
  15. LonePhantom

LonePhantom Squier-Meister

Jul 17, 2019
    Canberra, Australia
    An awesome guitar, and it looks to be in decent condition too.

SD pickups are a bonus most likely, if you like the models that it's loaded with.

And Yes, the original Edge is potentially the best bridge out there, bar the actual Gotoh model, which is built with the same materials as a Floyd Rose, plus the upgrades of locking studs, etc.

shingh2002 likes this.
  16. shingh2002

Sep 30, 2020
    UK
    Gonna check it out tomorrow guys.

Noticed in one of the pics (attached) the poor guy has had the bridge jacked up probably since the last time he strung it. Any concerns that the blade could be damaged from being played/left like that for such a long time?

Attached Files:

17. shingh2002

Sep 30, 2020
    UK
    I hear SDs generally aren’t liked for basswood bodies. I’ll have to try them to know, but it’ll be nice to drop into one of my strats to see how the work in a different wood.

I see this as a high gain, heavy metal shredder, so any suggestions for pickups are welcome. Would love to explore DiMarzios and BareKnuckles
    edit: That is if I buy it of course!

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    65refinyellow likes this.
  18. 65refinyellow

65refinyellow Squier-Nut

Jun 29, 2015
    norcal
    Basswood works exceptionally well with high gain humbuckers, either passive or active.

The Seymour Duncan JB has been in many a basswood superstrat in the 1980s. But there's nothing wrong with almost any mid to high gain DiMarzio humbucker.

I can't really detect a huge difference and if you have a humbucker over 10K ohms, I can't see where either pickup brand has a tremendous advantage. DiMarzio does have that basswood and superstrat option in many an Ibanez model.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    shingh2002 likes this.
  19. fadetoz

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    I do t even k ow how you would get the tremolo at that angle. Sometimes I wonder how people manage to stay alive... that’s what mine looked like when I picked it up. Should be fine but try to take a look at the knife edge for any obvious damage...

shingh2002 likes this.
  20. LonePhantom

LonePhantom Squier-Meister

Jul 17, 2019
    Canberra, Australia
    I've got Duncans in a bunch of Ibanez guitars, and they are perfectly fine, just as good as DiMarzio, etc. Just like different ice cream flavours, all good to the right person.

shingh2002 likes this.