Ibanez RG550

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by shingh2002, Apr 29, 2021.

1. shingh2002

shingh2002 Squier-Meister

Sep 30, 2020
    UK
    Another jem popping up nearby.

Seems to be in good condition, though having never owned a maple boarded, maybe someone can diagnose the discolouration in the pictures?

Anyone with any experience with these? Details are short from the seller, but I’m making enquiries. Serial dates it to 2002 so it’s from the end of the reissue period. Seems most were shipped with an edge tremolo and Ibanez pickups - any ideas on what level FR it is and what those SD pups might be?

If the necks straight I’d be very tempted.
    Bit of damage to the finish on the body near the strap pin, and maybe a rusty bolt to check out at the bolt-on.

What price would you buy it for ?

Attached Files:

2. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Ive only played with the JEM jr, but I thought that was a good guitar. I think their pricing is relative to what it is like in your area, but they ar highly regarded guitars. I know that doesnt help much, but thought I might chime in with what I do know

shingh2002 likes this.
  3. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychotic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    If it's made in Japan It's worth between $400 to $600. I'd pay $500 tops if it's Japan. Especially the cond it's in. I bought this RG570 below for $550 a few years ago, after a refund for a surface crack in neck pocket, it was originally listed at $750. It was in EX cond. No case. PS What is the serial #?

Ibanez RG570 Pink/Purple Pearl https://reverb.com/item/19460811-ib...are&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=19460811

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    shingh2002 and Luvs2yoko like this.
  4. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    Nice find, hard to tell the model of the Duncan's without taking them out. The fretboard discoloration is not uncommon for an older guitar that has been played. Hopefully you can play it before deciding.If it were local to me ,and It played well I'd go as high as 300.00.

shingh2002 and Angry Possum like this.
  5. shingh2002

Sep 30, 2020
    UK
    It is indeed MIJ, with its serial reading “F0205340”

I can’t work out if they were shipped with the SDs or installed? The seller says he got the guitar to learn on, and it’s been in its case since 2008 but that seems suspect if those aren’t stock pickups.

Seller is looking for £450 (which thumb in the air is around $510~), but it comes with a hard case. No sign of the trem arm or adjustment tools but may be in the case.
    Can someone take a close look at the FR? I notice once string is popping out like - is that normal or is there a piece missing? Never owned a FR equipped guitar so I’m a bit clueless at what I’m looking at

Attached Files:

Angry Possum likes this.
  6. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Good deal especially w the HS case. The FR looks good, I don't see any issues with that string popping out. I bet it's gonna kick some ass with those Duncan's in it too.

Screenshot_20210429-085237_Chrome.jpg

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    shingh2002 likes this.
  7. Luvs2yoko

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    image.jpeg
    The e string saddle looks like it is missing the block that clamps down to hold the string in place. Common part and easy fix.

8. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Low E? If so bridge blocks are inexpensive and easy fix.

shingh2002 likes this.
  9. shingh2002

Sep 30, 2020
    UK
    Okay, thanks for the replies guys!

I’m reading online there’s some historic warping issues with the necks, but given it’s probably been laid flat in its HS case for years I think it should be fine!

I’ll get a little more serious in my chats with the seller and arrange to meet up.

Angry Possum likes this.
  10. fadetoz

fadetoz Dr. Squier Gold Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    Ibanez RG550 with the Edge trem. Killer guitar. I would snag it if I could. Those are one of the best tremolos made. I just installed a new Low Pro Edge in my RG. They are not cheap but very good. I was looking on ebay to find a used one and the tremolo alone is $250 to $300. I found Thoman sells them new for $285. So the whole guitar for that price is well worth it.

Angry Possum and Luvs2yoko like this.
  11. Luvs2yoko

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    Yeah, looks like they just clamped the ball end of the string.

fadetoz likes this.
  12. fadetoz

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    That's what I was thinking. The RG I got was a mess they tried to put 10s on it and lost the screw and block on the low E and just ran a string through the back of the saddle. I guess if you have never used a Floyd it's confusing.. idk.

Mine is all rebuilt now.
    IMG_1273 (1).JPG IMG_1266.JPG

13. shingh2002

Sep 30, 2020
    UK
    The Bulk of the RG550s had the edge tremolo, but I’ve read a few and that includes this one shipped with a Floyd Rose. Hoping it’s a 1000 as I hear poor opinions on some of the lower models.

fadetoz likes this.
  14. shingh2002

Sep 30, 2020
    UK
    I could totally see that happening, especially if the seller bought this guitar to learn on (!)

Your RG looks great! That tree of life inlay is a sticker right? How does it feel to play on?

fadetoz likes this.
  15. fadetoz

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    The picture you posted is the Ibanez Edge https://ibanez.fandom.com/wiki/Edge

IMO it's better than the FR 1000. The Edge has a push in bar that I like allot better. I have a 1000 on my Charvell Socal

drewcp and shingh2002 like this.
  16. fadetoz

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    I Love my RG. Plays amazing. The 550 is a better guitar than mine but I have mine as upgraded as I can pretty much.

fattboyzz likes this.
  17. shingh2002

Sep 30, 2020
    UK
    It says FR at the bottom. Is it some sort of hybrid?

Attached Files:

18. fadetoz

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    Licensed.. Trust me it is an Edge. Another plus is it has locking studs.

FR 1000
    2021-04-29 08_33_56-Floyd Rose FRT100 Original Tremolo System - Chrome _ Sweetwater - Brave.png

Edge
    300px-IbanezEdge.jpg

shingh2002 likes this.
  19. shingh2002

Sep 30, 2020
    UK
    Fair enough - thanks for clearing that up!

Great playing and tone! Channeling Vai to the max there!

fadetoz likes this.
  20. fadetoz

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    As far as I know Gotoh made the Edge originally.

The Edge is based on the original, patented Floyd Rose tremolo design which Ibanez & Gotoh licensed.

shingh2002 likes this.