I think im dissapointed on my Squier Telecaster VM Custom I

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by arkada, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Shine

Shine Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2016
    Rings of Saturn
    Hello,

I have a 1974 Fender Telecaster Custom, which I believe is the same guitar as yours, more or less. I always felt the pickups seemed somewhat mismatched myself. The neck pickup could get close to a Johnny Winter tone, but the bridge unit never sounded especially tele-ish to me and seemed out of balance with the neck.

Two things I have tried:

First, I installed a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder bridge pickup. This sounded thicker though a bit duller, so it wasn’t moving in the right direction. However, the middle position had a really cool funk tone that the stock pickups couldn’t quite match.

Second, I put a wah wah pedal in the signal chain. I got a pretty fat sound by finding a cool tone in the sweep of the pedal and just leaving it there.

In addition to these and the other set-up suggestions, I would also consider how many instruments are in your band, and what gear are they using? Maybe you would like to hear more contrast between your sound and theirs.

Good luck!

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  2. Stratlover84

Stratlover84 Squier-holic

Jun 16, 2016
    NY - EC
    Sounds to me like you're looking for something to fill in your sound a bit more, but I don't think going from a humbucker Telecaster to a single-coil Telecaster will help you much!!

I am sure it will be a bit difficult to do during these tough times, but is it possible for you to visit a music store in your city (or the closest one to you) so you can actually sit down and try some of these guitars, preferably through a Blues Jr. That way you will have a much better idea of what is what - at this point I think there is little a pickup change/height adjustment or capacitors can do if you have your heart set on a new guitar. It can take some time and different situations, bands, music genres to figure out you are no longer in love with a guitar! Sounds like its time!

And yes, an SG is extremely versatile - would you be willing to find a used Standard or are you looking for new?

Kenneth Mountain and Shine like this.
  3. fadetoz

fadetoz Dr. Squier Gold Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    I would look at the pickup height first. Correctly adjusting a pickup height can make a junk pickup sound like a custom shop. That is what I found on my bullet tele. Second I would look at the amp settings and EQ. But if nothing works Ken can at least give you some pickup ideas.

4. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-holic ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    I agree with @fadetoz about adjusting your pickup heights, but first I want to see the settings on that blues jr. before you do anything else. The bridge pup should not sound thin through a blues jr.

5. Shine

Shine Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2016
    Rings of Saturn
    YouTube "Universidad" has several BJ tone-setting videos, some of which I've used myself.

Here's one:

6. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

Whatever you do - keep your Tele - and find a additional guitar - you can never have enough guitars - you would miss it ! ask us how we know !

Shine, Viking, CVSteve and 1 other person like this.
  7. arkada

arkada Squier Talker

Dec 9, 2017
    chile
    My band is: drums , bass with a standard bass amp, guitar (laney tube amp + gretsh guitar) and me. (3 voices)

I would love to try a SG on the Fender blues jr, i hope any music store will open very soon. Yes, that last sentence is very true.

Thanks a lot guys. Im going to take some advices from you, especially:
    1- Adjusting the pickup's height / trying other settings/eq on my amp.
    2- Sell my guitar and get another ( sg or tele standaard)
    3- change pickups ( the most expensive solution

8. fadetoz

fadetoz Dr. Squier Gold Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    When I got my bullet Tele I was not happy with the pups at all. They were terrible. I went ahead with the setup and the saddles were way too low so I raised them for a little higher action. When I did that it made the pickups lower with more clearance from the strings. I played it and it was like a whole new guitar and sounded amazing.

This was the result. It is stock with only a setup.

JazzBass72, Caddy, CVSteve and 2 others like this.
  9. SUMMER_69

SUMMER_69 Squier Talker

Sep 8, 2017
    Denmark
    These are relative uncomplicated things to start with. Try to listen carefully to how you guitar plays unplugged. If there is prominent buzz from the strings being too close to the frets the guitar will sound thin and unpleasant no matter how good/expensive pickups you buy.

CVSteve, Shine and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  10. arkada

arkada Squier Talker

Dec 9, 2017
    chile
    Any advice on Adjusting the pickup's height and getting a not so thin sound on the bridge PU or getting a better sound ( maybe brighter) on the Neck PU ?

Yeah, i definately will do the adjustment. Beatuful guitars btw

CVSteve, Kenneth Mountain and fadetoz like this.
  11. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychotic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    I'd replace the bridge pickup with a Dimarzio Tone Zone a Dimarzio Super Distortion or a Seymour Duncan Distortion Pickup.
    Love my Squier. Pic enclosed with a Dimarzio SD only with a coil tap push pot.

20200112_161432.jpg

12. TeleSi

TeleSi Squier-Meister

Aug 12, 2020
    Florida
    My 2020 Epiphone SG is an absolute beast when it comes to cutting through a mix. Don't sleep on the new Epiphones. It's a shame you're not in the US because I'm selling mine!

13. arkada

arkada Squier Talker

Dec 9, 2017
    chile
    Any advice on Adjusting the pickup's height and getting a not so thin sound on the bridge PU or getting a better sound ( maybe brighter) on the Neck PU ?
    Today i play around the guitar movin' the tone knobs and the pickup selector, but i still find the neck wide range PU very muddy.

14. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Left the Forum
    Your amplifier has a problem with bad electricity....so I think this is part of why you don't like the sound of this guitar.....

15. arkada

arkada Squier Talker

Dec 9, 2017
    chile
    I have another amp my friend.

16. Shine

Shine Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2016
    Rings of Saturn
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  17. arkada

arkada Squier Talker

Dec 9, 2017
    chile
    thanks! i didn't think about reading reviews. Now i read a couple of it (spanish and english) and the most of the guys that own the guitar, dont like the neck pickup or they are thinking about change it. Im not the only one i think.

18. Shine

Shine Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2016
    Rings of Saturn
    No, you might be in good company!:)

19. Shine

Shine Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2016
    Rings of Saturn
    Here is a video of *our* guitar in action. Probably not quite your band's style of music, but a good example of it in a trio setting:

Same band, same song with a LP @ 5:54:

Here is a video of the original tune with Spanish captioning. Note the guitarist is playing a Gretsch!

The Who, Live at Leeds. I believe Pete was playing a Gibson SG Special at the time.

20. marcello252

marcello252 Squier Talker

Aug 2, 2020
    Italy
    That guitar is a workhorse, I wouldn't change it, I'd change both pickups instead.
    for the bridge and your style a single coil size HB would be ok (for example a Seymour Duncan hot rails, but there are bazillions other options), for the neck one easy mod is changing the pickguard finding one with a standard size HB, a good Alnico 2 paf style HB would do the job, you can find cheap good options through guitarfetish site or tonerider for example.
    You could probably keep your pickguard putting a standard HB ring and screwing it in place of the WR pickup