I think I have tangled my brain thinking about this one....

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by IronSchef, Feb 17, 2017.

1. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    Was recently showing my kids some video of Jimi at Woodstock, and this morning I started thinking about his guitars and his unique twist...

We all know he played a righty guitar lefty, and really the only modifications he did was string it in reverse and swap the strap pin to the lower (upper for him) horn

Obviously, many have looked at this in detail for many years, so I started reading up... and learned some really cool things - most interesting for me was that Jimi's "upside down" configuration created a situation where SOME things were different - but oddly enough, SOME things were exactly the same!

Visually, the reverse angle of the bridge pup is the first thing that jumps out at you - this surely had an effect on his sound. Then, when you think about the "staggered" pole pieces - those heights are ALSO "reversed". What effect that has on tone seems to be more debated (I won't go there, :D)

I thought it was really interesting that, no matter how the pickup is oriented, its "polarity" and "wind direction" do NOT change! I had to think about that one for a while to get it :)

The reason I was thinking about all of this is because I was thinking it might be cool to take a lefty guitar and string it righty to create that same "reverse" effect ... and then I thought "I HAVE a great set of pups I just pulled from my RW for the SRV tribute! I could use THOSE"

Wait ... Lefty guitar - righty staggered pups, turned upside down to play righty ... would I then need to install them upside down?? or install them "normally"??

that is pretty much where where by brain seized up :eek: but I kept at it anyway.

anyway, I THINK I talked my way into this:

If I install righty-staggered pups in the "normal" orientation (wires running from pups toward bridge) in a lefty guitar, and play it upside down and strung for a righty - that creates the same "reverse" effect - right? o_O

My brain hurts

ElRey67 likes this.
  2. so1om

so1om Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Steve Miller? 84884249.jpg

3. so1om

so1om Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    oh yeah.. the white one too
    Steve-Miller.jpg 026_Steve-Miller-72157-14-A.jpg

4. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-Meister

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    If I'm following accurately, no. The only difference will be in the slant of the bridge pickup.

If you want to "reverse" the stagger of the pickups, you'll have to mount the pickups with their hot and ground leads pointing toward the neck.

IronSchef and ElRey67 like this.
  5. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    This is why my brain hurts, and why I need you guys ...

righty-stagger pups in a lefty guitar (wired normally) are reversed - but if I string it reversed as well - doesn't that reverse-reverse and make the stagger "correct"?

6. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-Nut

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    IronSchef likes this.
  7. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    ElRey67 likes this.
  8. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    OK, the fog has cleared - it makes sense to me now - thanks @LutherBurger !!

- install them "upside down" if I want REVERSE stagger - normally if I was correct stagger per string

clear as mud :)

LutherBurger likes this.
  9. Bailey1214

Bailey1214 Squier Talker

Jan 24, 2017
    Philippines
    My thought is get a proper lefty with specsc you want(fretboard radius, staggered pickups) then string it up as a righty.

IronSchef likes this.
  10. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia Suburbs
    I'd sure bet he changed the nut around too. Seems like a fun idea but why not just install left hand stagger pickups and a reverse slant pickguard on a righty guitar and avoid the annoyance of the controls in the way under your forearm ...

IronSchef likes this.
  11. MikeyH

MikeyH Squier Talker

Jan 2, 2017
    Hawaii
    Forget about all that macho stuff and learn how to play your guitar upside-down.

StevenGuitarMiller.jpg

Big tuna likes this.
  12. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia Suburbs
  13. OldGuitarPlayer

OldGuitarPlayer Squier-Nut

Jul 17, 2012
    the basement
    The weird thing about Hendrix is that he wrote using his right hand...:eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Big tuna likes this.
  14. 9-42

9-42 Squier-Meister

Jan 30, 2014
    NJ
    I have a set of lefty CV 50's pups in my righty '87 MIJ Squier Strat.
    Can't say that the revers stagger makes any difference. If it does, it must be a very slight difference that my old ears just don't hear.

15. DJGranite

DJGranite Squier-Nut

Feb 7, 2012
    maine
    Here's a thought, and I haven't checked, but does Fender even make a "Left hand" set of pickups?

16. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    I was about 12 years old when my friends started playing guitars. I am left handed and play right handed guitars thank goodness. The guys that play left handed just adjusted the pu's as anyone else would to what they wanted the sound to suit. I think the same way now.

17. mikm

mikm Squier-holic

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    Doyle Bramhall II plays a left handed guitar strung upside down! Yeeesh!! 8662165.0.jpg

jimbojo and OldGuitarPlayer like this.
  18. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-Meister

19. OldGuitarPlayer

OldGuitarPlayer Squier-Nut

Jul 17, 2012
    the basement
    Yes I remember people being forced to use their right hand as children. I have heard stories that Jimi was also able to play right handed as well. Glen Campbell is apparently left handed but plays guitar right handed. Otis Rush and Albert King played left handed and upside down. Ringo Starr is left handed but learned to play on drums set up for a right handed player.

I guess it's all in the way you learn to play and what ever works for ya!

IronSchef and SoundDesign like this.
  20. MikeyH

MikeyH Squier Talker

Jan 2, 2017
    Hawaii
    I never realized that. I wonder if he was pushed to write right-handed by teachers? I've heard a lot of leftys were back in the day. I think it's considered to be unecessary and harmful now.