I just can't believe it.....

Naked Strat Brat

Squier-Meister
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 27, 2022
North, Snow, UFO Ville!
Here's the deal with Tig, He's about 2 years old and was a rescued feral kitten from San Bernardino. Got him very young, but when he got bigger, he's never stopped looking for a way out of the back year. I have built 2 catios and have spent hundreds on cat 'jail fencing' because the yard is very nice for them. The other cats make no effort to leave at all, but Tig, I have seen him walking the perimeter looking up at the top of the wall searching for a spot to get out. I've started using corrugated roofing panels along the tops of the wals so there's nothing for him to grab. Works good, but I missed a spot and he went over the wall. I'm doubling up on the panels so there'll be about 4 vertical feet of horizontal corrugated panel so that he can't get any grip at all.
Wow he sure wants to investigate the world out there. You know he loves you all or he would not have returned!

OOMTOM

Squier-holic
Jun 19, 2021
Johannesburg South Africa
I am so happy for you James and your Wife ( HB ).
My late wife and I were brought up as Cat people. Just about every house had a cat, mainly to keep the Rodents at bay. My dad brought home the one cat from the factory he worked at. It was not the most domesticated of cats. The fireplace in the sitting room was huge with deep space behind the fire grate. This cat was snoozing on the rug in front of the dying fire. Suddenly his ears went up and he crouched staring at the fire. Next second he leaped over the grate and jumped back with a Mouse locked between his teeth.

Boyd L

Squier Talker
Dec 11, 2021
Kentucky
I'm happy for both of you. Male cats can be a challenge emotionally when they decide to do the tomcat thing. The picture says he's happy, you're happy , life is good.

20220227_163928.jpg
This was Buddy, a 5 1/2 year old male who had the most un-cat like demeanor. Not an aloof bone in his body. He used to hunt for field mice, barn rats, the occasionally Darwin-challenged rabbit, etc...along the fields and fence rows over the roughly 3 miles of farmland between my place and my parent's farm. The pic above shows him in his second most frequented habitat, the front seat of my pickup truck. He enjoyed a ride home when I'd pick him up (like a local hitchhiker) after a day or two (or three, four...) of "tom catting around". In past 6 months or so his adventures kept him away from home 3 significant periods of time, 2 1/2 to 4 weeks each time instead of the usual 2-4 days. Twice during those times I found him in pretty bad shape (I think coyotes once, possibly snakebite the other time) and took him to the vet for treatment. He'd rebound and tear out for parts unknown as soon as he healed. The last time he didn't rebound so well. He disappeared for a few days and managed to survive long enough to make it home before he died, probably not fully recovered from the snakebite.
My son-in-]law described Buddy as the Jeremiah Johnson of his cat world. He's been gone now three days. Never thought I'd say it, I miss my cat.
Apologies if I'm bumming folks out. I get the "I'm happy my cat is home" feeling.

SoCalJim

Squier-holic
Nov 12, 2020
SoCal
Here's the deal with Tig, He's about 2 years old and was a rescued feral kitten from San Bernardino. Got him very young, but when he got bigger, he's never stopped looking for a way out of the back year. I have built 2 catios and have spent hundreds on cat 'jail fencing' because the yard is very nice for them. The other cats make no effort to leave at all, but Tig, I have seen him walking the perimeter looking up at the top of the wall searching for a spot to get out. I've started using corrugated roofing panels along the tops of the wals so there's nothing for him to grab. Works good, but I missed a spot and he went over the wall. I'm doubling up on the panels so there'll be about 4 vertical feet of horizontal corrugated panel so that he can't get any grip at all.
Years ago, we had a rescue Calico cat. Every now and then, she‘d get out, and we wouldn’t see her for days. Sometimes, she’d come back home looking like she’d been in a heckuva fight.

She was a sweet and friendly cat indoors, but outdoors, she must’ve been living her feral cat dreams. 😼

Naked Strat Brat

Squier-Meister
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 27, 2022
North, Snow, UFO Ville!
I am so happy for you James and your Wife ( HB ).
My late wife and I were brought up as Cat people. Just about every house had a cat, mainly to keep the Rodents at bay. My dad brought home the one cat from the factory he worked at. It was not the most domesticated of cats. The fireplace in the sitting room was huge with deep space behind the fire grate. This cat was snoozing on the rug in front of the dying fire. Suddenly his ears went up and he crouched staring at the fire. Next second he leaped over the grate and jumped back with a Mouse locked between his teeth.
Dang! A real Mouser!

Lanaka

Squier-holic
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
I saw Him in Vegas!:cool: Glad He made it back!
You'd be surprised how far a cat could range. A friend had a indoor cat escape her home. Cat turned up nearly 30 miles away on other side of island about 3 weeks later during a routine TNR (Trap Neuter & Release) of a feral colony. To this day we still don't know how the cat managed to cross a mountain range! Luckily the cat had a microchip and was separated from the rest of the ferals and returned to my friend.

Make sure yer furry friend has updated info on the tags and chip!

Naked Strat Brat

Squier-Meister
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 27, 2022
North, Snow, UFO Ville!
You'd be surprised how far a cat could range. A friend had a indoor cat escape her home. Cat turned up nearly 30 miles away on other side of island about 3 weeks later during a routine TNR (Trap Neuter & Release) of a feral colony. To this day we still don't know how the cat managed to cross a mountain range! Luckily the cat had a microchip and was separated from the rest of the ferals and returned to my friend.

Words of wisdom for all our pets! (except Gold Fish, etc.) LOL!

SubSailer671

Squier Talk Member
‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎
Jul 4, 2019
Ohio, United States
My cat Apple is also an indoor cat. As a kitten of 7 months or so, he decided to take runner out the front door. Unbeknownst to him, we had an overnight snow (this was in January) and the wind had blown a pile of it just outside the door. He landed in snow deeper than his head!

He has not ventured out since. Haha.

I'm glad he is back to you James.

DSCN0022.JPG

jamesgpobog

Squier-holic
Feb 18, 2020
SoCal

He's chipped, all the cats are except for the 2 small kittens that we got 2 days before he came back...

blackspider57

Squier-holic
Mar 11, 2017
Somewhere east of the rockies
A timely story.
16 years!!
WOW!

Latest posts