I hadn’t planned on buying a new guitar for a while....

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by KRamone27, Dec 9, 2019.

1. KRamone27

KRamone27 Squier-Nut

Dec 12, 2009
    Carterville, IL
    While doing more adjustments on this guitar I’ve noticed something that’s got me perplexed. The truss rod nut takes a standard 3/16” Allen wrench vs. the normal 4mm Allen wrench these import guitars usually take.

Angry Possum likes this.
  2. KRamone27

KRamone27 Squier-Nut

Dec 12, 2009
    Carterville, IL
    It’s transformation is complete. Added a CTS 500k 5% tolerance pot, new knob and fender Tom Delonge pickguard. New guard didn’t line up with any holes so I had to plug and redrill

Attached Files:

Angry Possum, grizmit, drewcp and 8 others like this.
  3. KRamone27

KRamone27 Squier-Nut

Dec 12, 2009
    Carterville, IL
    Another shot

Attached Files:

Angry Possum, drewcp, TEXINGA and 4 others like this.
  4. Gavaldi

Gavaldi Squier Talker

Apr 29, 2015
    London, Ky.
    She's a Beaut! Love that color. Nice find!

5. kenneth

kenneth Squier-Meister

Aug 3, 2016
    Canada
    Congrats on that! Great find.
    I recently got a 1 pickup Yamaha and love the simplicity.
    Do you think the 1 pickup, 1 volume is enough, or do you think it is limiting for you?

6. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Congrats, hoss... You got a CRAZY deal! I'd LOVE to find one of these for double that price! Lol... Get 'er cleaned up and show 'er off!

7. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    That’s a steal for REAL!

Conga-rats!

8. TEXINGA

TEXINGA Squier-Nut

Dec 7, 2018
    GA
    so nice I had to look twice!! Great job.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  9. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I'm gonna try my own Tom DeLong Squier.

I'm not gonna buy another guitar for awhile also ... is awhile over yet ??

10. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

you kinda had one ? lol

Angry Possum, drewcp and Eddie like this.
  11. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Yes, it's a killer. Total rock machine.

I wanna try to build one myself. Looks like a fun easy project.

I dug into my parts pile, and found a set of new GM HB pups in the envelope ... untouched. I have a HB single pickguard, and I'll use one of the GM pups. I ordered the push/pull tab from ebay ... I'm ready to go. I just need a new body (literally). haha

12. KRamone27

KRamone27 Squier-Nut

Dec 12, 2009
    Carterville, IL
    It suits my needs perfectly. I’ve had guitars with hss setups and I found myself using the bridge 98% of the time so all my guitars with the exception of 2 have just 1 humbucker in it.

13. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I'm a Neck guy. I find myself always using the Neck.

I wanna build a Neck-only Tom Delong style Strat. That would look ugly, but fits my needs. :)

14. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    I should take pictures of the Detonator that was in my Tom DeLonge. I actually wore quite a bit of the finish off the pole pieces just by playing it a LOT.

Same with my Jackson. It uses the same Duncan Designed Detonators the Tom DeLonge does and I have worn the finish off the pole pieces of the neck and bridge pups.

I kept my Tom DeLonge relatively stock but I did put a Tusq nut on it. Swapped the pot with a new 500k and a new switchcraft output jack and I actually bought a real Invader to make it more like the Fender version.

I do think the route on the Squier is better than on the Fender version. There was never a USA version of this guitar and the Fender version was MIM using standard bodies they had laying around, with HSS routes. I like the fact that the Squier is almost entirely wood except for a small route for the bridge pickup and knob.

They were also made to Standard specs in Yako so they are among the best Squiers of that period. As far as I know they are only from 2002 because Tom got a Gibson signature guitar right after that.

Great score! More than a little jealous.

15. TEXINGA

TEXINGA Squier-Nut

Dec 7, 2018
    GA
    What a great find and do not get me started on that color, she is a beauty!!

16. KRamone27

KRamone27 Squier-Nut

Dec 12, 2009
    Carterville, IL
    I’ve been thinking about selling my replica since I found the real thing. The replica had a Trem bridge. Was gonna keep the pickguard and pickup out of it and sell the rest to find my Warmoth build.

Attached Files:

17. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    Here's the pictures I was mentioning. Here's a couple photos of the natural "relic" that seems to happen to Duncan Designed Detonators.

20200114_070323.jpg 20200114_070515.jpg

18. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

Aren't these called " Invaders "

Angry Possum likes this.
  19. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    The Seymour Duncan version is called an Invader and the Duncan Designed version is a Detonator.

I don't know exactly why they make this distinction. Some stuff I read says that Detonators have only one magnet, but Invaders have three. Some people on the SD forum say the Detonators are more like a Distortion with Invader pole pieces.

If I find out more I'll post in this thread.

Edit: I found a thread on Strat-Talk that says they have different designations:

Invader: SH-8
    Detonator: HB-108

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  20. wickedtools

wickedtools Dr. Squier

May 16, 2010
    west texas