I Drooled on myself

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by MrYeats, Jan 13, 2021.

1. 65refinyellow

65refinyellow Squier-Meister

Jun 29, 2015
    norcal
    C7F40D07-A2F5-4789-947E-B3C3629CE334.jpeg Bigsby B-5, 50, and 500s are good trems if you learn all the stabilizing routines to keep it sound like stretch strings, make ball end string rounded perfectly around shaft, (oil the nut, shaft, and saddle pieces), etc. Locking tuners don't hurt. Graphite nut is good as are roller bridges.

You don't have to do everything but the more stability factors you add, the better the Bigsby treats you.

It's a crummy trem if you don't take the time to set up and prep all string binding factors, but it's actually as stable as a Fender trem if you take the time to set it up.

Tzsteve, vlxerdon, mb doug and 4 others like this.
  2. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    That’s awesome! Two thumbs up!!

HNGD!!

3. VM51SQ

VM51SQ Squier-Meister

Apr 14, 2017
    oregon
    A stunning guitar ! What does it weigh in at, 11 lbs ?

4. 65refinyellow

Jun 29, 2015
    norcal
    Another thing that some B-5 trem users swear by is working in the spring.

When the strings are off you can remove the main spring and step on it a few times to make it more spongy. It returns to a true zero easier that way.

Very few B-5s can simply be strung hastily snd expected to stay in tune.

I highly recommend to join a Gretsch or Bigsby or rockabilly forum like I did and put in the time to get to know your Bigsby. We are a brotherhood and sisterhood.

Any Bigsby is a fertile, wild, and rabid animal (not at all kidding) that you have to tame, and you will soon see. Lol.

But there's over 70 years of well tested tweaks to show you how to get maximum tuning stability and sustain from your unit.

I sacrificed a little bit of tuning stability and kept my 60s reissue tune o matic bridge in order to keep sustain. Rollers are better for tuning but have less sustain.

Far more sustain happens though when you have a stop tailpiece so you may have to get used to a gentler attack on your guitar than if it had the common tune o matic bridge and stop tailpiece.

Attached Files:

5. 65refinyellow

Jun 29, 2015
    norcal
    Also if you are willing, you can put in a non modifying, locking nut with fine tuners:

Kenneth Mountain and MrYeats like this.
  6. GEECEE

GEECEE Squier-Nut

Jan 11, 2017
    MI
    Way to go Mr. Y!!! That's a beaut and you're good to listen when the Man is showing you something.

Kenneth Mountain and MrYeats like this.
  7. MrYeats

MrYeats Dr. Squier Platinum Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    I didn't weigh it but it is over 10lbs.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  8. MrYeats

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    I know what you are all thinking. I will keep and cherish this guitar....Heh heh....

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  9. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I despise those Bigsbys with the second bar that the strings pass under. They are a PITA, and IMO don't work as well as the single kind, which can be put on a solidbody, because Gretsch does it, except not on an affordable Elelctromatic Duo Jet, only on their expensive ones. Here's one on a gorgeous $3300 Koa Penguin.

2400518821_gre_ins_frt_01_rr.png

10. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Squier-Meister

Mar 9, 2020
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats and HNGD. Great looking Epi LP.

MrYeats and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  11. VM51SQ

VM51SQ Squier-Meister

Apr 14, 2017
    oregon
    I
    I'm going to try working in the spring next time I have the strings off. Although,I have close to zero tuning issues, and mine is an after market licensed Bigsby. They're really not that unstab!e, in my experience.

12. 65refinyellow

Jun 29, 2015
    norcal
    I think with tuning stability, I got spoiled with Kahler, Floyd, and the Washburn Wonderbar back in the day. The flavor of that day was extreme trem use do equally extreme measures were warranted in these heavy duty trems.

So when I later started using non locking trems like the Bigsby and Fender, I found that they didn't hold tune as well, but they weren't designed to be used like those 80s heavy metal trems.

My natural inclination with a Bigsby is to use it less anyway so I just live with tuning my guitar more often than if I had a fixed bridge and just see it as a necessary task.

But if I could easily put in a more stable strat trem into my SG copy, I would. But with the Bigsby, it just took an hour and no routing so that sells the Bigsby itself.

I want to say that nothing sounds the same as a Bigsby but I can get the approximation with it in a strat trem. But part of what makes it so cool is because it's this 1940s design that no other trem quite replicates in looks.

VM51SQ and MrYeats like this.
  13. MrYeats

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    I can't stand Bigsby's and seldom do I ever put a whammy on a strat. I just got it for to sell or trade for something I like, like money!
    Anybody got anything to trade for it. IMO the guitar is beautiful the Bigsby makes it clunky.

65refinyellow likes this.
  14. MrYeats

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    I am really contemplating taking the Bigsby off and selling it. I love the Paul but hate the Bigsby.

65refinyellow likes this.
  15. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    If you take the Bigsby off, you'll have to drill the body for a stop tailpiece. I wouldn't dare attempt that, but you may be more courageous than me.

MrYeats likes this.
  16. MrYeats

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    Guess what? The holes are already there. the only thing I have to live with are the two small mounting holes for the Bigsby which I have already listed on Ebay.
    3c.JPG 3b.JPG 4c.JPG 4b.JPG

17. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I didn't realize that they were covered by the front roller bar that I hate, lol. Because on 335s with a Bigsby you often see a plate that Gibson put on covering where the stop tailpiece holes were drilled. I had forgotten that on those the Bigsby is a lot further from the bridge.

0389957adb5bdfa328663f9bc8d5b1d8.image.1140x760.jpg
    I like vibratos, so I'd put a Les Trem on it
    s-l1000.jpg cuSYmit.jpg

Angry Possum and MrYeats like this.
  18. MrYeats

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    Well @Angry Possum now I can let the cat out of the bag. I paid $310 OTD at a pawn shop. I removed the Bigsby and sold it in less than an hour on Reverb for $90. So I have $220 in this superb LP.

3a.JPG 3c.JPG 3b.JPG

19. bigbagoong

bigbagoong New Member

Nov 29, 2020
    California
    Looks amazing, can't wait to see finished.

MrYeats likes this.
  20. MrYeats

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    I have the stop bar pieces and it will be together tomorrow. I would like to upgrade the pups tho. This will be a keeper....For now anyway. It is by far the best Paul I have.
    And, It is Korean, not Chinese! I think they made them better.

Angry Possum and 65refinyellow like this.