I did quit smoking - 2 years anniversary

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Blues256, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Blues256

Blues256 Squier-Nut

Apr 3, 2020
    Poland
    Although a year ago I have tested myself and have tried a few cigarettes a year agoto check if I still like them. I didn't, no smoking, no health issues. When i did quit cigarettes i also stopped drinking beer and coffee. Well it goes in pairs i guess. Switched to Red dry wine time to time.

I remember we have had topic about smoking and i did post there about quitting. Couldn't find it so i made a new thread

I win

:D

RoyalWe, JurnyWannaBe, gcvsa and 25 others like this.
  2. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychotic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Awesome, I still smoke half a pack a day.

3. Blues256

Blues256 Squier-Nut

Apr 3, 2020
    Poland
    Have You tried to quit? I did smoke half pack a day , which is 10 cigs

4. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Congratulations. Good job.

When I was a kid I was an athlete and rarely smoked. Then I got in the radio/TV business and fell into the habit. Everyone smoked. I was up to two packs of Camel filters a day.

I quit smoking about ten years later when our second child was born. Tried with the first one. Failed. I was weak but have grown stronger over the years, I think. With the birth of the second girl, a couple of years after the first, I got serious. The etymology of the word "decide" is from the Latin, "To cut off". Complete break. When the second child was born I got on my knees and asked God to strike me dead if I ever smoked another cigarette. Decision made. Our second daughter is twenty-six years old in July so my anniversary is coming up.

5. LaceSensor1

LaceSensor1 Squier Talker

Apr 28, 2021
    SC
    Congratulations.

I am approaching 18 months with 0 nicotine. Was a long tough battle but I feel like I'm on ther other side now. Now when I'm around tobacco or nicotine, I have 0 interest in consuming any of it.

6. waylonfan

waylonfan Squier Talker Silver Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2018
    Wilmington, Il
  7. Twostratsfornow

Twostratsfornow Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2020
    Ontario, Canada
    Congrats! September 18 will be seven years smoke free for me. I still drink coffee and beer like I’m getting paid to do it and have no plans to change.

8. SoCalJim

SoCalJim Squier-Nut

Nov 12, 2020
    SoCal
    Congrats, ex-smokers! It’s been 41 years for me.

JurnyWannaBe, DADGAD, Eddd and 9 others like this.
  9. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    Congratulations! Smoking is possibly the most devious trap mankind has ever devised. So much of the addiction is self-brainwashing.

I originally quit smoking completely just over five years ago using the Allen Carr book and he really breaks down the mental blocks that smokers give themselves to justify spending hard earned money to poison themselves. The actual withdrawal symptoms for nicotine are no worse than being mildly hungry, but your brain will continue the self-brainwashing for as long as you let it.

And nobody knows this better than me, since these past five years have not been perfect. But I take comfort in knowing that being a non-smoker is always the right choice. And I generally avoid getting hammered drunk because that's usually when my brain makes poor choices.

10. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    Fantastic!

Quitting the Coffin Nails is almost always a good thing!

JurnyWannaBe, Eddd, willhowl and 4 others like this.
  11. strat_strummer

strat_strummer John Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
  12. GunnyPlaysLoud

GunnyPlaysLoud Squier-Meister

Mar 13, 2020
    Wisconsin
    That’s an achievement! Good on you. I quit 11-12 years ago, I forget at this point and no longer miss it in any way. I was smoking a pack a day in my 20’s and just living very hard in general when I finally quit. One of the best decisions ever.

Eddd, mb doug, Davis Sharp and 4 others like this.
  13. Twostratsfornow

Twostratsfornow Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2020
    Ontario, Canada
    mb doug and Hugh like this.
  14. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    A sobering reminder that my choice to be a non-smoker is the right one.

Eddd, fattboyzz, mb doug and 4 others like this.
  15. Eddie

Eddie My Squier is on Fire !!! Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Awesome. Keep it up.

16. I quit smoking in 1980, 41 years ago, one of the smartest things I've ever done. I quit drinking 5 months ago. It was far easier than I ever thought it would be. Congratulations to anyone willing to take a positive step forward in their lives.
    Cheers, Barrie.

17. strat_strummer

strat_strummer John Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    I quit nine years ago I think it was but unfortunately the damage is already done.
    I'm not exactly sure how I survived it because I was a heavy chain smoker.
    Unfortunately it's won me a position in the SSDI Hall Of Shame.

18. fuelish

fuelish Squier-holic

Congrats, man..... I used the nasty nicotine gum to quit, it helped... but that crap’s nasty.... been a few years, my smoking got to the point where only the first cig of the day satisfied, so I stopped and used the gum to “soothe the transition”.... it worked...keep it up, I don’t even like the smell of a lit cig anymore.... have been known to have a cigar or two over the course of a year, but that’s different, really, I don’t “need” them, it’s a guilty pleasure - my birthday, vacation and all

19. Blues256

Blues256 Squier-Nut

Apr 3, 2020
    Poland
    Thanks guys for support. I have had weak mind , it was pretty hard to quit smoking. I remember trying to quit for a 3 times before, it didn't work. Glad i have tried foruth time, succesful one. After a year i told myself, i need to try to smoke a few to see if i am still addicted. I had a few days with cigarettes after year of not smoking, not in a row, like 3,4 days when i did smoke a few check myself. All i can say, they did taste and smell awful. Since now im free

Eddd, willhowl, Toddcaster64 and 6 others like this.
  20. Hugh

Hugh Squier-Nut

Dec 15, 2009
    USA
    @Blues256

Congrats !

I'm about a week away from the 6-month mark since I quit.

One motivator besides health benefits is the money one can save. I've saved about 1135 bucks since I quit.