Hum Cancelling

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Black Strat, May 23, 2020.

1. Black Strat

Black Strat Squier-Nut

Nov 30, 2014
    Virginia
    How important is it to you to have hum cancelling in position 2 and 4 on a classic
    Stratocaster? I'm doing a Black SE Gilmore Strat. I prefer vintage pickups like SSL1 and Fender 57/62. The ones I have have no hum cancelling. I also have a set of Tex Mex that seem a little muddy when I play them

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    Jim Belaye likes this.
  2. Eddie

Eddie Squirt Startocaster Infinity Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    You can shield the cavity. But that only does so much. Doesn't totally remove the hum.

It's part of life with single coil pups. I've learned to live with them.

brians, MI redneck and Black Strat like this.
  3. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    With the Tex Mex you have sounding muddy...

Do they sound muddy to you in demos you are hearing? Or is it in your own guitar, when you are the one playing?

Personally, I would never want to have a strat in SSS configuration without the hum canceling effect of a RWRP pickup in the middle.

Black Strat likes this.
  4. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Supporting Member

Since I never use position 2 or 4, hum canceling in those positions is not important to me at all.

The most recent Strat I put together had a RWRP pickup in the set I bought, so I put the R one in the neck position and put a push-pull switch in to add neck to whatever is active. Now I have hum cancellation in neck-bridge... the Tele-like combination.

Black Strat likes this.
  5. Black Strat

Black Strat Squier-Nut

Nov 30, 2014
    Virginia
    I have mim, Tex Mex, Texas Specials, SSl1, 57/62, Lindy Fralin vintage hot bridge. Its possible I'm remembering a tone from the past? Or my hearing is changing as I get older?

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  6. MrYeats

MrYeats Dr. Squier

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    Just wire the middle pickup hot to ground and ground to hot.

Black Strat likes this.
  7. Black Strat

Black Strat Squier-Nut

Nov 30, 2014
    Virginia
    My Tex Mex sound muddy and hot when I just put them in today and played them, with no adjustments. The Tex Mex sound similar to my mim pickups. When someone else played my mim HSS Strat he flinched and cursed and said man those pups are really hot! They could sound hot to me because, I've been playing a Telecaster recently?

MrYeats likes this.
  8. Triple Jim

That'll make it out of phase, for an odd effect. If you also use a big neodymium magnet to reverse the polarity of the six alnico magnets then you'll be back in phase and get the RWRP effect. Or if it has a ceramic bar magnet, flip it over.

Black Strat and MrYeats like this.
  9. MrYeats

MrYeats Dr. Squier

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    or pull the rods and flip them. Unless the bobbins are 2 piece then you cannot do that but you can reverse the polarity of the rods with the magnet @Triple Jim is talking about without removing the rods....

-r3-, Black Strat and Triple Jim like this.
  10. Black Strat

Black Strat Squier-Nut

Nov 30, 2014
    Virginia
    Triple Jim I do have a extra bar magnet pup, are saying to take off the bar magnets and exchange their positions?

11. Triple Jim

If you can remove the magnet or magnets, possibly by heating with hair dryer or similar to soften the glue, you can turn each one around. If there are two, they're arranged so both N sides (or both S sides) are against the poles. flipping each one over, or rotating it 180 degrees, will change the polarity that's against the poles. If you're unsure, you can use a compass to see what you have now, and you'll see it's the opposite when you successfully flip them.

Black Strat likes this.
  12. Black Strat

Black Strat Squier-Nut

Nov 30, 2014
    Virginia
    The SSL1 neck is wound counter clockwise south up magnets. The SSL1 mid is RW/RP is wound counter clockwise north up. Modern pickups are wound counter clockwise. Would flipping just the magnets and not the wind direction still hum cancel?

13. Triple Jim

Yes, because you can swap the pickup's wires and then it will be wound clockwise. In other words, make the hot wire ground and the ground wire hot and now the direction is reversed.

Black Strat likes this.
  14. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    I don't care about it, I never really hear it unless I use a lot of drive.
    If it's there, it's part of single coil life.

Black Strat likes this.