How to sound good soloing without having to be flashy, fast, or using complicated scales and licks

Discussion in 'Music, Theory, Tab and Such' started by DougMen, Apr 22, 2021.

1. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I stumbled on this guy, and he's really good at showing you how you can sound great, just by using simple and tasteful phrasing with just a few simple scale patterns and shapes

T-Rey, StormCaster, Batmang and 19 others like this.
  2. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-holic

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Saved to check out this weekend! Thanks for the suggestion.

3. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychotic 6 String Collector

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Looks good Doug, check it later.

StormCaster and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  4. strat_strummer

strat_strummer John

Nov 24, 2018
    In the shop building RCs.
    I've been a paying member of ActiveMelody for many years. He teaches style and technique more than anything.
    I recommend him for sure.
    Paying members get more useful tools to each opening video. Backing tracks, with or with out accompaniment .
    Also a tracking program of each video that you can slow down to your comfortable speed, and easy to follow tabs.

5. Shine

Shine Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2016
    West Coast Landia
    Nice! The educator in me always learns from how others present material.

StormCaster and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  6. MrYeats

MrYeats Dr. Squier Platinum Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
  7. corn

corn Squier-holic

Feb 27, 2013
    San Diego
    This wins the longest thread title award
    Kidding I’m going to watch this , this is what it’s about , thx

8. Twostratsfornow

Twostratsfornow Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2020
    Ontario, Canada
    Right on, Doug. Thanks for sharing this.

9. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    Interesting to me that he sorta advises finding the scale from the high notes and navigate down, I tend to find them from the lower root and navigate up...but my approach is pretty unsophisticated. I usually figure out the key, hack at notes for a while until I figure out which ones sound good and which ones don't, and then try to just play the good ones lol

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
  10. jamesgpobog

jamesgpobog Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2020
    SoCal
    Loud. No one is mentioning loud...

11. Rodiebobw

Rodiebobw Squier-holic

Jan 12, 2020
    Rockwall, Tx.
    Me two.. We all have been infected at once.. Run for your lives!

12. Southguitar

Southguitar Squier-Meister

May 2, 2021
    Tennessee
    I raised 2 kids gigging for years, much if it solo with backing tracks so had to keep the audience interested alone.

I have always found for myself that it's a timing thing based on emotion. As long as you can convey your emotions then that is what is most important and I always felt that there will be enough people in your audience that will go on an emotional journey with you and to allow you to come off as good overall.

I have no ability to do this modern day, fast, Van Halen type speedy licks. I know very little music theory, literally almost none to be honest. I simply consider myself as a bluesy, classic rock type lead player. I don't know all these scale types, Dorian and all these other Greek sounding names, I just learned the areas to play from listening to my fav players and just experimenting alone.

If you look at my postings earlier in the week you will find a vid clip of me playing live. As you can see, nothing fancy at all, no exotic scales, no speedy runs and tapping, just me trying to express myself and doing what I feel.

One of my favorite players is JIMMY Vaughn, as much as his brother really. Listen to his song "Don't ya know". Listen to a few of his tunes. His playing is probably less sophisticated than even mine, yet, his playing just burns with blues emotion and fire. His playing just moves my soul in a dirty, bluesy, fire-filled way. He actually moves me even more that Stevie. Jimmy's playing is the definition of RAW EMOTION.

All my fav players just express themselves in a unique way that is just THEM.

One of my all time favs, Frank Zappa. When he played you could actually say, man, that is clearly Zappa's MIND thinking those notes. His notes are weird just like his mind.

Gilmore doesn't do the modern Van Halen type playing, but he is a guitar hero because of emotion. Another of my favorites, Peter Frampton. Go listen to the live version of "Lines on my face" off Frampton comes alive.

This is all about emotion and using the timing of your licks to create tensions and releases to move the audience to go on a journey with you. That's the way I feel about it anyway.

13. Rodiebobw

Rodiebobw Squier-holic

Jan 12, 2020
    Rockwall, Tx.
    Meh<

SonicGreyBeard likes this.
  14. fuelish

fuelish Squier-holic

^^^Ditto^^^

StormCaster and grizzlewulf like this.
  15. jamesgpobog

jamesgpobog Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2020
    SoCal
    @ Southguitar...

You want a journey? Listen to 'Heroin' on Lou Reed's 'Rock n Roll Animal'.

StormCaster and Eddd like this.
  16. Southguitar

Southguitar Squier-Meister

May 2, 2021
    Tennessee
    Love it and LOVE Lou Reed. Turning Time around, oh man, one of my favorite songs of his. Mad is also a great tune ont that album. Venus in furs is an all time classic of his. Love the Live version here.

17. SonicGreyBeard

SonicGreyBeard Squier Talker

Oct 20, 2021
    Melbourne, Florida
    Check out Scott Paul Johnson on Youtube. He also has a patreon. Best information for soloing out there IMO. He uses the CAGED method and it's easy to see why he's so popular.

StormCaster likes this.
  18. SonicGreyBeard

SonicGreyBeard Squier Talker

Oct 20, 2021
    Melbourne, Florida
    I'm finally able to accomplish the exercises in "How To Solo On Guitar p2". Herbs before practice is counter-productive. :)

I am able to solo in any key (with the pentatonic, major and minor scales) but learning to solo over changes is a different animal. Definitely attainable but lots of practice. It's hard enough to juggle two chord changes. He recommends adding a new chord shape to the mix as you master each one.

I love how mathematical and precise music is. The patterns along the fretboard are fun to find.

19. Geetarman72

Geetarman72 Squier-Meister

Apr 18, 2020
    Deltona
    Jimmie Vaughan is under appreciated due to the fact he plays simple , but try to duplicate the timing and the phasing and it isn't as simple as you think. Paul Kossoff was another less is more guy . Also Gary Rossington of Lynyrd Skynyrd. Listen to Cry for the Badman. Simple stuff and so effective.

StormCaster likes this.
  20. jamesgpobog

jamesgpobog Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2020
    SoCal

For me, it's Gilmour. Those 2 solos in Comfortably Numb,... anguish, despair..., a mans soul flowing through wood and steel.