How to Play Guitar and Y. Elvis Costello's amusing new Audible original.

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Uncle Joe, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Apparently, according to this Yahoo Entertainment article, Elvis Costello Is the Only Guitar Teacher You'll Ever Need. The linked article pertains to Costello's new Amazon Audible original 1:38 min musing on life and guitar; How to Play Guitar and Y. Pretty funny so far. Quirky. Interesting. I'm listening now.

I own most of his albums. There are a ton of them. Still, I've never realized that he's known, self effacingly, as "Little Hands of Concrete." I can relate to that.

Like most music teachers, he begins with piano and seems to get into it, then goes off on another tangent. I need to pay attention more closely now...

grizzlewulf and woolbrig like this.
  2. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Well, this was a mixed bag for me. Elvis accurately deems it, "a work of comedic philosophy." It was entertaining but not very informative. It leads one to believe that Mr. Costello would make an interesting dinner guest. No question about that. It's not a guitar lesson, so much as a vehicle for Costello to opine. Worth the ninety minutes of my listening time but, upon first listen, not worth renewing the service once my free Audible subscription expires.

I need to see what else I can listen to these next 28 days or so but I doubt I'll chip in the eight bucks they want for a monthly subscription. I'd rather read. This was audio only.

grizzlewulf and speelyei like this.
  3. speelyei

speelyei Squier-Nut

Sep 22, 2020
    North America
    Give Victor Wooten’s “The Music Lesson” a try. I recommend it highly.

4. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    I misunderstood "1:38 min". :(

5. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Mea culpa. I wrote it incorrectly.