How to make a Strat "dirty"?

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by VM51SQ, Jul 24, 2020.

1. VM51SQ

VM51SQ Squier-Meister

Apr 14, 2017
    oregon
    I've been waiting for this reply !! :D:D

Jmv668 and BlueSquirrel like this.
  2. Maguchi

Maguchi Squier Talker

Aug 5, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA USA
    The Kinks were one of the British Invasion bands to slash their speakers for distortion.

BlueSquirrel and jamesgpobog like this.
  3. vintageguitarz

vintageguitarz Squier-Meister

Aug 2, 2011
    So Cal

Make a shallow 3 ft diameter hole in your back yard and it with water from the garden hose. Wait about a half hour and then toss in your axe, swish it around a bit. The take it inside and empty your mommies vacuum cleaner's bag onto it. Now your geetar is nice and "dirty" ....

A dirty sound comes from an amp, not the guitar, unless you have one of those $59 Chineez POS clones from Ebay.

4. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    France
    I've never tried the Kent Armstrong Vintage '52s, but I can imagine that they are higher quality than the DD pickups.
    Furthermore, I looked at their specs and they are totally different in terms of construction / material / wind / output, etc. Among the many differences, the Kent Armstrong are alnico 3 vs alnico 5, their neck pickup's DC resistance is 6 K and the bridge is 7.7 K.

Your best bet could be to either find another set of similarly-spec'd Kent Armstrong pickups (second-hand, perhaps?), or get new pickups that are closer in quality and specs (you could talk to Ken Rose on Squier Talk, he makes great boutique pickups).

Once you have them, you'll probably have to play them through the exact amps, pedals etc. to get closer to the sound you're looking for.

VM51SQ likes this.
  5. VM51SQ

VM51SQ Squier-Meister

Apr 14, 2017
    oregon
    Yeah, I think Kent Armstrong PUs are as close as you're going to get Fralin PUs without spending an arm and a leg. What's holding me back from changing PUs on my Strat, is that I really do like the clean tones on that guitar. Of course I would have to try out different guitars and PUs to find out what's out there that I like more, but that could end up being expensive and not getting me anywhere. Right now, I'm thinking I should save up for an HSH strat, and that should get me the tones that are in my head. Like I said, I really love my Tele style guitar, but nothing is as comfortable and enjoyable to play like a Strat. Thanks for all the input!

6. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    If you got that for less than a Boss Blues Driver, you're very lucky. All those Tubeworks pedals with a 12AX7 are collector's items, and usually go for big bucks. They're basically newer versions of the even more collectible Chandler Tube Driver. I had the rack mount version of the Real Tube, which is probably worth even more now. I had several different rack mount tube preamps, including a Peavey one, an ART one, and a Marshall one. They're all worth big bucks now.
    xa0rzfsjv7qdezsiv088.jpg svquopkopldtayz89knv.jpg s-l400.jpg

7. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
  8. VM51SQ

VM51SQ Squier-Meister

Apr 14, 2017
    oregon
  9. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    I think it was Dave Davies that was one of the early pioneers of that technique!! Like on "You Really Got Me" and "All Day And All Of The Night" respectably.

10. Jmv668

Jmv668 Squier-Nut

Feb 21, 2017
    Chile
    Put humbuckers.

VM51SQ likes this.
  11. VM51SQ

VM51SQ Squier-Meister

Apr 14, 2017
    oregon
    I use clean amps, so I use pedals for dirt. In my opinion, the tones you can get are always a combination of guitar, amp, and gain stages (pedals). In my case, I'm never going to get dirt from my amp, at least not at the volume levels I want to play at. In my original post, I wasn't questioning the ability to get dirty tones with a Strat, but rather the characteristics of dirty strat tones. I've come to accept that I just don't like them as much as I do the clean tones on a strat. That's not true for my other guitars. Just wanted to know other peoples thoughts. The tone is actually in our hedas, I think.

12. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    France
    I guess you're right.

VM51SQ likes this.
  13. Treehouse

Treehouse Squier-Meister

Dec 4, 2019
    The Arboritum
    In appearance you mean?

David Gilmore, John Scofield, Bill Frisell, Robert Fripp, Mike Campbell, Nels Cline, Rivers Cuomo, Bonnie Raitt, Mike Stroud, Doug McComb and many, many more non-80’s-sounding players say you might be doing it wrong!

14. VM51SQ

VM51SQ Squier-Meister

Apr 14, 2017
    oregon
    I've never owned one, but if I did...you're right, I probably would be doing it wrong ! I guess one more pedal in my collection wouldn't hurt. In Fairness, the sound that is typically associated to the RAT is pretty '80s, like most of the hair metal bands. At least the ones I've always know of. If you say Mike Campbell used one, then you have my interest. I love his tone !