How to get to like a LP for a Fender type player

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by DrBeGood, Jun 26, 2020.

1. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    We often read that Strat players can't get comfortable with a Les Paul type guitar. They'd like to have one for its particular tone, but can't seem to bond with the heavy weight and/or its boxy shape. Funnily, they will like a Telecaster which is pretty close to a LP as ergonomics go.

There are elegant solutions to this dilemna in the not so expensive guitar world. I went this way.

If you need to buy new, you're in luck as Epiphone with its new 2020 line, came out with the Les Paul Muse. It has a thin body with a contoured back (belly cut). It is also chambered so the weight is around 3.4 kilos (7.5 lbs).

back-neck-500_500.png
    https://www.epiphone.com/Guitar/EPIAU946/Les-Paul-Muse/Smoked-Almond-Metallic

If you're OK with used, the Epiphone LP Ultra is what you want. They made the Ultra, Ultra II and Ultra III. They all have a heavily chambered body that brings the weight down to ±3 kilos (6.5 lbs). They also sport a generous belly cut. The first one they produced is just as a regular LP electronically, two Alnico Plus humbuckers, nothing fancy.

epiphone-les-paul-ultra-i-29881.jpg The belly cut on this image was probably a prototype, as the real thing is more like the LP Muse above.

Chambered.jpg
    https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/epiphone-les-paul-ultra-25064

The Ultra II introduced the Nanomag, a magnetic pickup integrated to the fretboard at the last fret, that gives the LP a realistic acoustic guitar tone. Pretty cool. It has two output jacks so it can be used in stereo.

The Ultra III came improved with a pickup ring tuner, Probucker pickups and USB port.

Still in the used dept, there's the PRS SE Single Cut that is similar in weight and carved back. It's available with humbuckers or under the Soapbar I name, with P90. Weight is again real light, under 3 kilos (6.5 lbs). This guitar you love or you hate, there's no middle ground. But if you love, it gives back a lot.

Single cut.jpg

Soapbar1.jpg
    I am sure there are others, but this is to show that there's more than meet the eye when LP shapes are concerned.

2. snivlem

snivlem Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2018
    FL
    This is how I do it
    [​IMG]

3. Paruwi

Paruwi Squier-Nut

Apr 28, 2019
    Kraut-Territory
    Good Info ^^ here @DrBeGood

the harder part will be to find one with a 'Squierish' fretboard radius....

Viking and dbrian66 like this.
  4. strat81

strat81 Squier-Meister

May 27, 2020
    Nebraska
    That's a stunning guitar.

I've always thought LTD was better than Epiphone in terms of sound, looks, and quality.

5. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-holic

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    But it's not as authentic, and that's all that matters. /s

Great post, I need to check one of those Ultras. I haven't seen a Muse in person yet, I wonder if any store will bring some once the shipments regularize a bit more here.

6. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    ^^^This was as close as I got, but once I put a set of GM ‘57’s in my Ibby AS73b, I had LP tone in a more comfortable (for me) package. I’m done with LP’s.
    4620FFF0-D6BE-489B-A365-27993BE9EAF4.jpeg

Stratlover84 likes this.
  7. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    For me it's just the 24.75" scale. I've played my whole life on 25.5" scale guitars with 10s and I'm really used to the muscle memory of that.

But I've been looking at Explorers and a couple Pauls and thinking I should just get over it and get one for both my own enjoyment and to give me more tones to use for recordings.

Rat cam 68 likes this.
  8. guitalias

guitalias Squier Talker

Apr 21, 2020
    Australia
    Squier Toronado?

Viking likes this.
  9. strat81

strat81 Squier-Meister

May 27, 2020
    Nebraska
    Yes please!

10. ScoobySnacker

ScoobySnacker Squier-Nut

Dec 4, 2018
    Never-reach, NY
    Never had a hankering for the Les Paul.
    Growing up in the 60s, all I can remember was Strats and Teles, SGs and the cool semi-hollow ones the old blues guys were playing.
    The only player I can recall with a Lester was Pete Townshend and his were usually being smashed and not played.

11. Jmv668

Jmv668 Squier-Nut

Feb 21, 2017
    Chile
    The scale and so dirt on tweeds is what do t like.
    I have only one cause this.
    90 of 100 times i play my strat or teles.

Neophyte16 and ScoobySnacker like this.
  12. beagle

beagle Squier-Nut

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
  13. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    With me it's about the weight and the neck ;)

14. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    I bought strats by the truck load. I bought a few others,but I was sure i could build a strat that would suit me.
    Then I swapped my Michael Kelly spalted guitar for an Epiphone Traditional Pro.

I now have been playing nothing but LP type guitars so long I miss when I try another scale.
    When you pick one up and it fits well enough to suck you into moving with it, it doesn't matter what shape it is.
    Play a fastback style if you don't like the LP ergonomics.

Rat cam 68 and DrBeGood like this.