How to beat a neck re$et

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by surf green, Aug 1, 2020.

1. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    This is a follow-up to my post on the the 50's Gibson ES 350T "Maybelene". The neck was pulling away about the thickness of a credit card. There is a threaded post for the neck strap button. I was hoping to remove the post, and install a temporary screw to secure the neck while gluing. Not able to remove the post, I decided to leave it intact and use it as is. I drilled a hole in the rubber pad at the end of a 30" wood clamp. Placed the hole over the post on the neck end and over the metal bracket for the bridge on the butt end, glued the neck joint, tightened the clamp, and Waa-Laa, the joint is tight. She's setting up and all is looking good. This system or a modification thereof, should work on most hollow body guitars where necks are separating. Top and back body panels were taped for insurance against "popping" on this 70 yr old body.

DSCN4165.JPG DSCN4166.JPG

Big tuna likes this.
  2. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    great Idea and good work.

surf green likes this.
  3. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Cool @surf green, but I hope it holds after your misspelling of voilà.

MrYeats, surf green and -r3- like this.
  4. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
  5. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    "Chuck Berry" project is finished, Go Johnny, Go Go Go DSCN4168.JPG DSCN4169.JPG

SubSailer671 and squierTony like this.
  6. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-holic

surf green likes this.
  7. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

surf green likes this.
  8. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    Considering the age of this old guitar, I have to say it played pretty nice and easy, and the electronics were very quiet. An interesting thing about the ES350T is the 23 1/2" scale. I've never run across this before. Originated in 1955, this was the 1st "thin line" model, with a thinner and smaller body size. In 1957 this model switched from P90's to Humbuckers, in '59 the scale went back to 25 1/2" and in '63 the model was retired. On the body was written '59, which fits the specs. The owner was excited to get it back, especially since he didn't have to $pring for a re-set.

SubSailer671 likes this.