How often do you change your strings? Do you keep a log?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Powerstroke, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    For those with 20 plus guitars it's hard to remember when they were changed last.
    I dont personally change mine often because it adds up.
    I've heard said that you should change them at least every month if you're playing that guitar daily.
    I dont know. I dont usually hear them go bad either. Buy usually I break a few modding and replace what I have to.
    I just changed a used guitar I got recently. It was nasty. You know when you feel crud on the back of the strings. The fretboard was bad too.
    So anyway how often do you guys change strings and why?

StormCaster, Robb and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  2. Eddie

Eddie My Squier is on Fire !!!

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    No log. Some guitars get played more than others.

If I pick one up, and it looks/feels cruddy ... then time to change the strings.

drewcp, duceditor, beagle and 3 others like this.
  3. DJGranite

DJGranite Squier-holic

Feb 7, 2012
    maine
    Still have the original strings on my Les Paul jr... been 20 months or so.
    Still sound good.
    It's in a stand beside me and gets played every day.
    When they get to where they don't sound good or get rusty or don't stay in tune I will change them.

drewcp, duceditor, driver8 and 2 others like this.
  4. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Squier-holic

Feb 14, 2019
    Count me as a + 1 on what @Eddie and @DJGranite said. For me it's mostly a "feel" thing.

drewcp, driver8 and Robb like this.
  5. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier Talk Member ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

On the acoustics I play almost every day, I change them about every 6 weeks or so. My bass still has the strings on it from the mid 90s. Guitars that are case queens get Elixir coated strings so they last longer. I really don't like the Elixir strings as they feel "greasy" to me, but they do resist rust and aging very well. My nylon stringed guitar gets changed every 12-18 months--I would let it go longer but I keep breaking a string for some reason. My electric guitars get changed every 3 months or so as I don't play them much.

I don't keep a log. Mostly it is by feel.

6. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    I have about 3 guitars that are used ones I've not done yet. I have some people played so hard the wound string was almost cut through ready to unwind. Nothing I have makes it more than a year without being changed. Because usually I sell em lol

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  7. driver8

driver8 Squier-Meister

Jun 19, 2020
    NY
    I try to go as long as possible without changing. Most of my guitars are flat or round wounds, so that helps, but I really don't like that new string sound or feel. I'll go years if I can lol

JurnyWannaBe and Robb like this.
  8. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Squier-Nut

There is no set time for me. When I think that they sound dead, they get changed. Dealing with a couple dozen guitars the only way to keep track of string age is, when I change the strings I write the date on the package and keep that package in the case untill the strings need to be replaced.

duceditor, JurnyWannaBe and Eddd like this.
  9. T-Rey

T-Rey Squier-Meister

Nov 11, 2020
    Georgia
    Usually to me the low E will get dull or dead sounding when playing unplugged, which I do quite often. That's when I usually change strings. I have a few guitars and I try to rotate them as much as possible though I do get stuck on some more than others. That helps to make the strings go a little further. I keep two out in stands and the rest put up and I usually try to rotate one if not two different guitars out every week or so.

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  10. Eddd

Eddd Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2019
    Canada
    Whenever I buy a new guitar.

drewcp, JurnyWannaBe and driver8 like this.
  11. driver8

driver8 Squier-Meister

Jun 19, 2020
    NY
    +1 Always

drewcp, Eddd and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  12. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    I've been being lazy. Last 5 or 6 I've not changed.

JurnyWannaBe and Eddd like this.
  13. StormCaster

StormCaster Squier-Meister

Sep 13, 2020
    Wisconsin
    I used to change them once a month when I had 2 or 3 guitars. But now somehow I have 8 so I only change the 2 or 3 I play the most about every 3 months. But sometimes when I pick one up and start playing I will notice it sounds very dull and lifeless so then I will change them. I really need to sell some I don't like having this many. Is that weird?:eek:

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  14. StormCaster

StormCaster Squier-Meister

Sep 13, 2020
    Wisconsin
    I do that also but everytime I buy a guitat with 9s on I end up breaking tje high e within like 2 days and I'm forced to change them out for 10s.

JurnyWannaBe and driver8 like this.
  15. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    You're supposed to change them?

16. shingh2002

shingh2002 Squier-Nut

Sep 30, 2020
    UK
    Maybe 9-12 months on each guitar? I don’t change strings often, as it’s relative to the amount I play each guitar.

I have recently started to put a piece of masking tape on the back of the headstock when I change strings and note the brand and gauge, as I have a few different gauges on each guitar as they’re kept in different tunings. I forget what they were!

17. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    I used to change the strings very regularly when I was gigging, probably more often than I really needed to.

Now I change them probably every six months or so, more because I think I really should, rather than they need it. I don't like the sound of new strings that much, I prefer them when they mellow a little. They usually sound best to me just before I decide to change them.

Everything gets the same D'Addario 8-38s.

JurnyWannaBe, drewcp and driver8 like this.
  18. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    This is the only log I have…

The acoustics are what I’m playing out the most, they all get replaced every three months or so. I’ve got electrics that have gone a year… if I can still tune it well, they stay.

JurnyWannaBe and driver8 like this.
  19. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    There is no method to my madness. I thus like several of the methods suggested here to having some.

Method that is. -A way to know what was put on and when. But the “madness” has served me well. I change ‘em when I want to with what seems appropriate at that time, this with an ear to having variety. As in “that P90 geet has 10 thru 52s, so this one will have 11s.”

i go thru periods where one weight feels better than another. That by familiarity. This changes over time with no consistent pattern.

-don

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  20. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Squier Talker

May 16, 2021
    UK
    Electrics get changed every four months or so; acoustics maybe twice a year. My bass still has the ones that came on it, and I’ve had that for about a year now - in fact it was second hand, so who knows how long they’ve been on there.

JurnyWannaBe and drewcp like this.