How Many Guitars Do you Keep In Tune and Intonated?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Uncle Joe, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    All? Most? Some? One? I'm curious to hear this. The thread about unpacking a new guitar in cold weather got me thinking. That, plus the fact that some contributors here seem to have more guitars than it would be possible to keep maintained all at once. Heck, from my limited experience the Guitar Center I would visit only has about 30% of the electric guitars set up properly. I'm sure our percentages are better.

My Christmas gift to myself was a Firefly FFLP and it's taken some tweaking to get it just right. In the meantime, whilst I had my tools out, I came to realize that most of my handful of guitars required a little TLC in the setup department. Now they are all playing fine; spot on. Seven guitars. Last week it was only three.

How many do keep in proper playing shape?

2. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
  3. driver8

driver8 Squier-Meister

Jun 19, 2020
    USA
    All. Unless something's being worked on.

4. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Western Oregon
    All but 1, which is in a HSC in the garage. So, 6/7....I need to sell a few.

mb doug, Uncle Joe and dbrian66 like this.
  5. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    All in good, well set up, playing condition. Only my stored away Martin and classical are down tuned. (Martin suggests that for extended periods not in use)

Most of the the rest are kept out and totally play ready. Close to pitch. Rarin' to go.

-don

Music Room 2 10-19.jpg

6. MyToyBrain

MyToyBrain Squier Talker

Mar 17, 2020
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
  7. strat_strummer

strat_strummer John Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    I'm seeing 7 out of the 17 I own.

8. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    All, but it's an ongoing process that never really ends.

9. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-Meister

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    My 1 guitar is barely ready lol. It's due for a few adjustments next time I change strings, probably

10. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I have 40 or so guitars, that stay in a currently unfinished basement, in a state that has all 4 seasons. If I tried to keep all of them intonated all the time and the action just right, I would likely never have time to play. Usually 5 or less are "perfect" at any given time.

11. White Dog

White Dog Squier Talker

Oct 19, 2011
    Iowa
    This is my answer as well. Got 15 guitars, but some "sit" longer than others, so there is need to tune before playing. But string height, neck bow, intonation, etc...on all have long been set and stay there.

Rat cam 68, mb doug, jjudas and 2 others like this.
  12. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    manhattan
    Why would you want a guitar and not have it set up? After that, it takes a minute to tune one.

13. Robb

Robb Squier-holic

Jan 13, 2011
    Chertsey Canada.
  14. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    All of mine have been set up. That’s normally the first thing I do when I get one. Most of my guitars are out on stands, ready to play. But they rarely leave my temp. / humidity controlled basement, so after the first setup, not much is normally needed. I will go through them again when I replace strings.

15. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    I’m a cellar dweller as well. Even though I have some heat in the winter and dehumidification in the summer Iunderstand completely. When I have time to play I don’t want to spend time adjusting a truss rod or saddle height. I keep all my guitars in bags or cases, most still need tweaking between the temp and humidity changes.I have a few upstairs that I can grab quickly to play without any issues.

16. pgsdixon

pgsdixon Squier-Meister

Jul 26, 2020
    Aurora, IL
    That's right on the money. If you aren't moving around being extreme temps, or changing your string gauge, you shouldn't have to repeat the entire setup process. Just take a few seconds to check that the instrument is in tune and you're good to go. I'd consider all of my guitars ready. I've got about 30.

mb doug, Uncle Joe and dbrian66 like this.
  17. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I'm quite happy that my life consists of more than just doing setups and playing guitar. The question from OP was how many guitars do you KEEP in tune.

Even if you only have to tune every time you want to play, that isn't actually keeping it in tune, in my interpretation of what the original question asked.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  18. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    I'm surprised that anyone living in a region with four seasons of differing climate can keep so many guitars set up with desired relief, proper intonation and near tuned to pitch. I opened the windows today to get some fresh air in and I'm sure it has affected one or more of my guitars to one degree or another. Now the heat's back on with the windows closed. Something's funky with one or more of the girls, I'm sure. It's likely beyond tuning too.

Like many folks we are lucky to enjoy central heating, air conditioning and independent humidifiers and dehumidifiers. Still, keeping guitars playable is a year round challenge. If I'm only playing one or two guitars any particular month, the others will certainly drift a bit from ideal setup.

I don't think this is as much of a concern in a place like San Diego, perhaps, but I definitely experience it here in Northern New Jersey.

19. Jes Woodland

Jes Woodland Squier-Meister

Sep 4, 2020
    Nottingham UK
    6 of the 8... 2 are in storage.

mb doug likes this.
  20. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    I'm with you and @drewcp on this. I normally only play two to three guitars, tops, at any given period of time. Meanwhile the rest are slipping and changing due to temperature and humidity fluctuations from floor to floor in my house and changes of season. Sometimes it's radical. The weather is changing now and I can feel it. I'm sure my guitars can too. I couldn't properly care for more than the seven or so guitars I own now. I can't understand how folks can keep on top of so many guitars unless they are retired or professional musicians.