How "fussy" are you when you share?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by duceditor, Jul 17, 2020.

1. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    You have probably seen some of my videos where I sing. I know it is not pretty, but I am just having fun with it. I have always been told to stay away from microphones, but then A fellow has to do what he has to do....Being judged by judgmental people has never had much affect on me...Go for it....Get the A for effort.

strummer101, jefffam and duceditor like this.
  2. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I think that is a totally valid POV. If it is countered at all it'd have to be with a question about the purpose of one's sharing the video. With an added addendum about who qualifies to make the determination of its value.

And all that brings me back to my opening statement above ... "what the hell..." ;)

Should only the most attractive people post one of he now ubiquitous "selfies"? And again, who should determine just who that relatively short list should include?

To take this more seriously (which was my initial intent) in the early days of the web one would post a video because it was of some specific worth -- demonstrating something above and beyond the everyday. Just as early portrait were done only of people seen to be of some special worth.

Kodak changed that, and the "snapshot" was born.

Around the same time the impressionists shocked the painterly world, no, not just with their more casual and colorful style, but with their everyday people subjects.
    It is hard to believe today, but it was not the style, but the subject, that made this now famous Renoir shocking. Who were these people to have been put on canvas. Why they were nobodies!

Renoir.png

And so with our videos. Yes, some may be posted because they have a specific instructive worth. But others because they are a way of sharing ourselves. And in that case who can say they should not be seen as of value? Do we not matter? Do not our friends and family?

If someone chooses to say "You must think you are special if you post this" I suppose there are three possible answers. 1) "Yes, I am." 2) "no, that is not the reason I posted it", or 3) a punch in the nose.

:)

-don

3. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Okay, two days after my YouTube video was posted - first as a semi-private posting, then opened to the public. The different reactions to it in various places were, I think, revealing.

According to YouTube analytics almost 70% of viewers got there by provided links -- here and on Facebook.

The responses here were (I'm sure by intent) encouraging. Sincere, too, I expect and at least hope. -This, probably, at least as much for my efforts and willingness to share as anything -- although I myself was pretty pleased with the guitar arrangement and only occasionally winced at, shall I say, the attempted "enlargement of my vocal possibilities."

Facebook got some "likes" but mostly silence. And one friend posted "Oh. my poor ears..."

Oh well, you can't please everyone. :D

To this friend, a lover of fine art, I responded "Did I ever mention to you my singing once for a certain eccentric Dutch painter?" I'm sure he got my Van Gogh reference.

Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 6.55.17 AM.png

All together I am glad I posted it. My ego is not so sensitive to my limits being exposed -- a sad truth that will no doubt grow as additional years are added to my life. And whatever my writing and performing is "worth" I am thrilled to just be able to keep growing, learning and playing.

-don

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  4. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I liked it Don. Just putting yourself out there is the hardest part, you’ve done it for a while now, no reason to worry (IMO).

I was amazed how much stage fright I had two years ago when I started playing out again... I NEVER had any back in the day... what changed?... Me, and my confidence in my abilities.
    Funny thing is, while I had a wider vocal range in those days (2.5 octaves on a good day), I’m better at playing and singing together now than I was (even losing 4 or 5 steps off that range).
    Instead of forcing notes I can’t hit, I pull out the capo, or tune down a half step now...
    I stopped worrying about it, I’m having fun, getting a bit of applause, and a couple pats on the back (sometimes from some very good musicians), it’s perfect.

The data you might like to really know though is hidden, like how many people (and who) watched it to the end, vs how many played 5 seconds and kept scrolling. Though, I’m sure there’s a pay option with fb, and YouTube that allows you to see that data (because you know they’re logging it). I don’t think it’s worth the trouble to pay for that info though... a view is a view ;).

5. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    A lot of that is available. Not the 'who' did this or that, but the cumulative.

I used to spend some time with it. Now I view it like the comments section which some take seriously, but I, apart from the amusing idiocy factor, do not.

In a sense it is much like my 'Image if the Day.' I do it for the joy of the creative process. If such enriches others, well good, and if it encourages others to themselves "see" all the better! But in the end we each have just one life - one spirit -- we can raise.

:)

-don

jefffam, JurnyWannaBe and radiotech like this.
  6. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    I vote for all 3.

duceditor and jefffam like this.
  7. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    In reverse order!:D:p

duceditor and MrYeats like this.
  8. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    If Bob Dylan was an egotist, he never would have made it as a singer. I still know people that won't listen to him because of his voice...
    He just did what he had to do. Now he is a Nobel Prize owner.

9. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Years and years ago that was Jan's comment and encouragement to and for me when I'd say I had no voice.

And such were not meaningless words. I thought about them a great deal.

For this song, sure. But also when I arranged, recorded and then posted my rendition of "Daydream" several months ago.

And it was/is not just that I should sing. But that I should pour myself into the song and its personal meaning to and for me.

Now whether Jan ever regrets giving me such encouragement I cannot say. ;)

-don

10. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-Nut

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    My wife is like that. Won’t listen to Willie Nelson either. I, of course, like both of them.

strummer101 likes this.
  11. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I play well when no one is listening. Whenever I put a new chord progression into my looper, and I decide to post a jam with that progression on my instagram page, I play really well before I start recording. But, then as soon as the red light goes on, I get nervous and my playing is much sloppier and not phrased as nicely. So, if it really sucks, and there's nothing I like, then I'll try again. If there's some good bits and some not as good, I'll just post the 60 second portion that sounds the best to me, because the video limit on instagram is 60 seconds. My biggest problem is balancing the level between the looper and my live guitar. I can always hear both well when recording, but the camera's mic doesn't always. Sometimes one is too loud for the other on the recording, and other times the other one is too loud on the recording. It's all very informal and just for fun anyway, so I don't fret the inaccuracies in my playing or the recording. A lot of people like them, including players much more accomplished than me, so they must have some merit.

12. Block Head Ike

Block Head Ike Squier-holic

Playing to a loop is a really good tool, especially if you record and just let it roll. I have a Line 6 Spider Jam amp that plays backing tracks and allows recording on a separate track over it. I find that sometimes my best go will be three or four takes in, and then if I persist I will start to lose spontaneity. If I were inclined to post, which I am not at this point, I think I would just let the vid roll and the backing track loop, then find the best take to post. Funny, but when I am playing with other musicians I think my playing is more precise and my concentration is better. I guess the "pressure" of not wanting to be the guy that causes a "do over" helps me focus.

duceditor likes this.
  13. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I never had that nervousness I spoke of when recording with a band, or onstage, only now, when recording alone.

14. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Western Oregon
    I’ve got like 11 followers on YouTube, and I don’t know why. It makes releasing imperfect videos easier when nearly no one sees them.

15. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I have 266 followers on instagram, and I'm simply befuddled as to why, lol.

radiotech likes this.
  16. Bonsai Elephant

Bonsai Elephant Squier Talker

Jul 18, 2020
    Los Angeles
    I doubt that anyone other than my teacher will ever hear me play, I don’t do selfies and avoid photos if at all possible, nevermind video.

I used to wish I could be different and put myself out there even a little, but I’ve just accepted that’s how I am now.

duceditor likes this.
  17. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-holic

According to Meatloaf, "two out of three ain't bad..." :D

18. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-holic

Since only you know what it is supposed to sound like, we would never know how close or how far off a performance is. We'd just enjoy a composition from one of our respected friends.

Maguchi and duceditor like this.
  19. Maguchi

Maguchi Squier Talker

Aug 5, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA USA
    Just keep on pushin', it'll get better

duceditor likes this.
  20. strummer101

strummer101 Squier-Meister

Jun 13, 2019
    ohio
    I was told by my music teacher in 6th grade that I could not sing and to just mouth the words. That stuck with me for many years and I did not even try to sing. Nowadays, I do sing but still building confidence. This forum has made me braver about posting on line. I really don't care if someone does not like it. I think it takes guts to post your music on line. That is why I would never heckle anyone for posting in the my music forum of this site.