How "fussy" are you when you share?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by duceditor, Jul 17, 2020.

1. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Are you easy going, or very strict, when it comes to things like videos of your playing that share here or elsewhere?

I ask that because I working on -- and having a heap of fun with -- an original that is at the very outside of my ability. Pushing my limits. Especially the vocal portion.

I'm at my worst when the video camera is running, so getting a perfect recording is near impossible -- and that even on songs that I play pretty well. But on a case like this I'm just not sure how to proceed. Put it out there and look (and, worse, risk feeling) the fool -- or keep it back so as to hide where my limits sometimes too obviously lie?

On Facebook I can limit it to, say, friends or even "close friends." But to post things here they must first go onto YouTube (or, I suppose, something similar). There I have over a thousand 'followers' which makes me, shall I say, a bit hesitant.

How do you deal with things like this?

Here I feel I'm with friends. No pretenses really required. But in the larger world I suppose I'm a bit more "proud."

-don

2. kniah

kniah Squier-Meister

Jan 30, 2019
    Waltham, MA
    Maybe channel a little bit of Fred Rogers here: it's ok to be yourself and not be perfect. If more people were their authentic selves perhaps we all could be less self conscious when posting our work.

3. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I've thought that when posting less than perfect vids in the past.

There are so many folks here who I'd love to hear play -- yet never get that opportunity. And I expect it is because of the imperfect aspect of most any home video.

What's funny (to me) is that I have spent my life in imaging, and my early work was in TV and cinema. So I well know how limited my iPhone vids are. Yet I've chosen to post them anyhow.

Others appear to be far more skittish.

But it could be my age. No longer anything to prove. Little remaining fear of that bugaboo "failure." I.e., the wisdom of Yoda has become real. :)

Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 9.47.18 AM.png

-don

4. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    I guess you could classify myself as extremely skittish. With what I consider poor playing and at best a mediocre voice, posting a vid of myself playing is just nowhere in any plans.

When I played and sang at the Pickin' House, one or two nights a week, I felt I was improving enough to do videos. However, between leaving the situation where I was playing out and health issues, it never happened. My playing ability is very affected by my health. There it seems to be one step forward, 5 steps back. I've 're-started' playing guitar far too many times. Just getting back to previous levels of proficiency seems to be a challenge in itself.

Needless to say, I don't post my noise making for anyone to suffer through, make fun of, sneer at or generally disdain for what ever reason, no one could come close to being as critical of my non-playing as I am. While my present level of playing (anything, not just guitar) would never hint at my extensive music background, I know very well what it's supposed to sound like vs. what it actually sounds like.

5. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-holic

My "uniform of the day" used to be shirt, tie, and jacket. Now with the working from home rules it has morphed into gym shorts and T-Shirts. I have three new guitar T-shirts. One says this: "I play guitar because I like it, not because I am good at it."

That's my motto nowadays.

6. I would never subject anyone to my playing. :D
    Cheers, Barrie.

7. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-Nut

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    About a year ago I finally began sharing videos of my playing on YouTube, something I've always wondered how could it would be to do but never felt too confident. Even songs I know fairly well, it takes several recordings until a take where I haven't obviously went out of tempo or hit the wrong note or chord is done. A problem of my approach to these videos - a single take from start to finish, jumping between rhythm and lead tracks - makes it harder than the usual studio approach of sectioning the song into parts.

My best approach to this is to be absolutely sure I'm comfortable with the song I want to record. I have no "perfect" recordings, but obviously, the more comfortable I am with a track, the more natural I can play and even the more unique the covers are, in terms of my own little improvisations I improve upon overtime. I haven't been able to record anything for months due to the pressure of the finals, nor even practicing all that much for the matter, but I have 4 to 5 songs pretty much ready to be recorded when I feel like it.

Though this extra comfort derived from knowing well the song you're playing is the most important aspect IMO to a good recording, I've come to notice it also helps doing "test run" recordings beforehand - sometimes you ain't playing worse on video, it's actually reflecting quite well how you normally play, you just *thought* you played it better... I don't want this to have a negative connotation, but it's important to listen ourselves playing to properly judge our own takes.

Finally, if it's pure nerve at the time, it helps going slow and ensuring to be calm. If you become more annoyed you're not nailing it after several takes, it's best to take a pause, drink some cool water and rest your mind for a while. It's also fine to call it quits for the day in case it's just not cutting that day, perhaps the day after will go along nicer. It's good to be perfectionist when it comes to recording, if you're doing it in your spare time and for fun from the comfort of your home, you even have the perk of not having to pay an hourly rate to a studio/producer... professional musicians don't have that benefit. ;)

8. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-holic

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    I think you could set the privacy settings of the video to just show for those that have the link and it wouldn't appear for your subscribers. It's been a long time since I played with that setting, but it was possible in the past.

In my case, I'm more strict on the quality of the recording than on the quality of my playing haha

jefffam, JurnyWannaBe and duceditor like this.
  9. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I’ve yet to sit down and make a video, but my wife records my performances out, and I’m fine with that, she posts the good ones on fb, and the real good ones, I put on YouTube.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  10. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    I'm pretty fussy about it. I recorded an instrumental for riff-raff back in November, and when I listen back to it now I think that I should have spent more time playing the solo instead of literally taking the first take where I played for the full 3 minutes without any glaring mistakes.

I was also thinking of doing something more in line with the Riff-Raff mentality with my looper and a quick solo but I wasn't sure if I wanted to post them to my main channel or if I should make a Soundcloud or something just for stuff meant for Squier-Talk. So that's one of the only reasons I haven't been participating is I am being too fussy about what I want to post and whether I want those posts to be shared with my 6 subscribers.

11. Toddcaster64

Toddcaster64 Squier-holic

Apr 1, 2013
    Ventura
    That’s the beauty of age. Trainwrecks are forgotten almost within minutes. And if someone thumbs-downs me, I’ll forget it just as quickly.

12. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Squier-Nut

For the past couple of months our church's praise team has been pre-recording all of the service's hymms. I don't get a lot of control with the ballance or song selection, or who hears it. Buy I do try to relax and enjoy everything that's going on.

13. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-Nut

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    I knew a guy that spent weeks in isolation splicing together (with a computer) about 10 “takes” of each song on the disc he was making. It was down to the point he would examine each note and if he didn’t like any of them he would record just that note again and then pick the “best” one. I want to hear music that is live not engineered. I’m no great player but that is not why I don’t record myself. I want live so if you want to hear me you would have to be in my living room. The few recordings of yours I have seen are fine. So stop worrying and have fun with it.

BTW, I have that disc described above and it does not live up to his ability.

14. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Squier Talker

May 26, 2020
    Sasquatchewan
    I got so frustrated with my DAW everytime, trying to polish up my turd voice and turd playing into gold. I practically gave up on all that because it was draining all my love for music out of my soul. And, seemed every time I felt creative and sat down at the DAW, some patch thing or bug would come up, and I'd spend 45 minutes trying to solve it, and would leave the room angry.

For the past couple years, now when I write a song, I'll rehearse it for a week or so, then pound it out one or two takes on video, upload it, share it warts and all, print it out so it goes in my song binder, then I move on to the next one. I consider myself more a songwriter than a performer or player, is one out of three bad?

I am beyond caring about tweaks and perfection, the joy I get from music is banging it out and moving on.

15. terraplanetommy

terraplanetommy Squier Talker

Mar 27, 2011
    Australia
    My philosophy is whenever I feel "fear" (for want of a better word) about a given situation then I force myself to meet that fear head on.

16. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Really appreciate the thoughts guys!

I continue to lean towards the 'just let it out there' approach. Although as said, my current project may test that approach to (or beyond) its logical limit.

In any case I AM having fun with it. Just me, the song and my geet.

-don

17. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
  18. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Squier-Meister

Jan 28, 2020
    Shreveport, LA
    You can set YouTube videos to "Private" so that the only people who can see it are people you directly give the link to. Otherwise, it's unviewable to anyone else.

jefffam, JurnyWannaBe and radiotech like this.
  19. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    IMO . There are alot of people that would digg that on YouTube . Fooey on the naysayers anyway ;)

Edward Phillips sings blues stuff and folks love it !

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  20. beagle

beagle Squier-Nut

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    I use the "unlisted" setting for videos on YouTube.