How are Mini Short Scale Electric Guitars?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Angry Possum, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Ladeeh

Ladeeh Squier-Meister

Sep 10, 2021
    Balkans
    Nice lil trip to the moon!

Angry Possum and beagle like this.
  2. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    And all with the original (early 90s I think, the guitar was rescued from a skip) ceramic pickups, so loved by all the forum users. :p

Angry Possum, Ladeeh and shingh2002 like this.
  3. shingh2002

shingh2002 Squier-Nut

Sep 30, 2020
    UK
    Huh. I guess I have a misunderstanding of the relationship between string gauges, string tension and scale length!

For my guitar tuned to C# Standard, I use 12-56 because a detuned set of 10s are too floppy.

I figured a guitar with a shorter scale length was similarly floppy when tuned to E, because a shorter scale length would relax the tension on the strings? lol I’m confused. Will have to google this

Angry Possum and dbrian66 like this.
  4. Ladeeh

Ladeeh Squier-Meister

Sep 10, 2021
    Balkans
    I'm also very pleased with how ceramics in my SE sound. I'll probably replace them, but they are getting a new home in SX Traditional Series. :D I know so many ppl who throw them in a dumpster lol.

5. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    No, you're not wrong, but like I said up there ^, what's floppy to you isn't quite so floppy to a kid. Do they sound floppy when I'm playing them?

I'm just going on about 35 years worth of experience with my kids, nephews, nieces, grandkids and guitars. Most of them simply quit because "it made their fingers hurt".

Angry Possum and shingh2002 like this.
  6. shingh2002

shingh2002 Squier-Nut

Sep 30, 2020
    UK
    Thanks for the insight! :)

7. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    By the way, I play 8-38s on my own guitars. ;) I ripped my own fingers to piece playing my Dad's archtop with 13s on it in the summer of 1968

8. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychotic 6 String Collector

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Hey Doug, thanks for the advice on SGW, there's a lot of minis for great prices there. PS That Bradley V Mini is cool. How does it play? Action Etc? And would you consider ever selling it?

shingh2002 and dbrian66 like this.
  9. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    It actually plays pretty good. And no, I won’t ever sell that one. I bought that new at my local guitar store when I was about 13 years old. It’s been with me a long time! LOL

I haven’t messed with any of these guitars in quite some time. But this thread has peeked my interest again. I am off work for a couple weeks at Christmas. I foresee myself getting that V out and slapping some new strings on it! :)

Angry Possum, shingh2002 and beagle like this.
  10. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-holic

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Guess I'll chime in my experience with my Mini. I have an Epiphone Les Paul Pee Wee from 2005 in gloss black. It's a 19.25" scale length guitar. Normally it's tuned about 1 and half steps up to G.

However, I swapped out the non-adjustable combo bridge/saddle for a Hipshot Baby Grand, a combo bridge and adjustable saddle, upgraded the pup (to my one DiMarzio in my herd, a Crunch-Lab that's installed upside down with the bar coil towards the neck) and installed a TUSQ nut. I've recut the nut to accomodate the 12-54 strings.

And no the strings don't kill fingers because even when tuned to E-Standard, the total string tension is only 87#, with the average string at 14.75# each. This is lighter tension than a typical 25.5" 10-48's 114# (18# ave on high strings and 20# on the lows).

The Pee Wee neck is of same width as a normal LP so it's perfect for me to practice and play while travelling.

I'm not at home at moment, but here's an older pic I took of it during my modification of the Pee Wee.

Epiphone_Les_Paul_Pee_Wee-(3000x4000).jpg

At time of pic, I was installing the pup and pot. In the photo, I accidentally placed the pup upside down for the photo (or more accurately it is correct normal orientation, but I planned to invert the pup so the bar coil is neck side). The pot is a push/push A500k volume pot that splits the humbucker to the bar coil. Later on I'm going to remove the p/p pot and replace it with a normal B500k volume pot and install a Triple-Shot to handle the coil splitting to either coils and switch between parallel and series coil connections.

Oh, the strings I used are:
    E2 54W 14.5#
    A2 40W 14.3#
    D3 30W 15.0#
    G3 20P 14.4#
    B3 16P 14.6#
    E4 12P 14.6#
    Total: 87.4#

It is tuned to E-Standard.

11. AxelMorisson

AxelMorisson Squier Talker

Nov 15, 2021
    Fagaras, Romania
    Well I got the jazzmaster mini (white)- and it looks like a snowflake! Nice guitar, the sounds are nice/interesting..well- first let's discuss problems: tuning stability- do the proper works, change the strings, use heavy gauge (in short scale, the tension is not as great as in normal scale so normal tension heavier gauge will sit like normal tension ones but with fuller sound, short scale , heavy gauge is my new mantra). Lube and re-cut the nut if necessary, adjust action etc- and in the end you get a very fine fun machine. Two extremely hot humbuckers , heavy gauge strings with low tension, and the joys of short scale (anyone a fan of 4 or more fret stretches for nasty chord voicing?)make this a very particular thing to play.Got it on a whim ( I have an electric uke so you know) - kid's guitar, too small for a grown man, useless junk, I heard people call it all that- and those people could not care to intonate the guitar or make a string height adjustment. After doing the works, I find that I can have fun with that- using the original 9s is the way to learn bends- large, winding, whining bends -even if it's a hard tail (or more so because it is). Add extreme distortion and it's not an ukulele wannabe anymore- but the short scale and slim neck make it fast. It's a versatile guitar and it can sound very joyous but also very angry as needed. I love short scales in general- just don't expect baritone sounds out of it-wait..there's a plugin for that too. Add a nicely tracking octaver and play slowly-and you get a bass!

SoCalJim, shingh2002 and Angry Possum like this.
  12. AxelMorisson

AxelMorisson Squier Talker

Nov 15, 2021
    Fagaras, Romania
    There's my special snowflake right here. Fun fun fun. Special Snowflake.jpeg

SoCalJim and Angry Possum like this.
  13. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychotic 6 String Collector

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    This mini Ibby plays and sounds like a normal Ibby. It's probably only 4 or 5 inches shorter than a normal Ibanez. The body is heavier than I would of thought.
    20211201_111842.jpg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021 at 5:47 PM
    AxelMorisson and SoCalJim like this.