Home Grown Tomatoes

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Papa Joe, Aug 7, 2020.

1. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    The birds dont like tomatoes?.. bet they like worms!.. :D

2. Ray Stankewitz

Ray Stankewitz Squier-Meister

Oct 11, 2014
    Central Indiana
    Our patio tomato hasn't done much but the Husky cherry tomato has gone crazy. The tomatoes are bigger than a traditional cherry tomato and they taste like a big tomato. Gonna grow that one again.

So far, the squirrels have left the tomato patch alone. Probably something to do with mass applications of repellent. Now he sharpens his teeth on my front porch deck. Grrr!

3. Sonicbridge

Sonicbridge Squier Talker

Dec 21, 2019
    Modesto, CA
    Peppers and Tomatoes

20200812_132240_HDR.jpg

Loin Lover likes this.
  4. John L Rose

John L Rose Squier-holic

I put in 6 Sweet Million plants, but I must've transplanted them way too late. They're not much taller after a few weeks and hardly any blossoms.
    Bummer, because they are extremely tasty little tomatoes. :(

5. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    The trick to get them started is lots of nitrogen early on..I use fish emulsion..This gets the stem and leaves going..Then when they get up to 3 or 4 foot high I use phosphorus and potassium to encourage flowers and fruit..

6. Hoss

Hoss Squier-holic

Dec 20, 2009
    McGill, Nevada
    I used the fish emulsion for the first time this year. Works good, but BOY it stinks!!

Loin Lover likes this.
  7. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    So true..lol...A squirt bottle of it can make ya boss in a dispute ...Cindi walks a wide path around me when I have it in hand..lol...

8. strummer101

strummer101 Squier-Meister

Jun 13, 2019
    ohio
    Here's mine in mid June, can't even walk through the garden now without stepping on something 0628201427_HDR.jpg

ToneChaser77 and Loin Lover like this.
  9. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Squier-Meister

Feb 2, 2013
    Bucharest - RO
    Because I live at 750 meters high, only small tomatoes can grow outside. No chances for bigger without greenhouse...

Loin Lover likes this.
  10. strummer101

strummer101 Squier-Meister

Jun 13, 2019
    ohio
  11. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    I am proud the Kentucky Derby is over with. Now I can plant my maters without worrying about frost. ;-)

tomato early girl in bucket 9 6 2020.jpg

Rest of the story: Local legend says Derby Day, normally the first Saturday in May, is the earliest day to safely plant tomatoes to avoid frost. Living here almost nine years we have not had a frost in May.

I started these plants from seeds taken from a partially bug eaten mater. I will try some indoor growing when the weather cools.

12. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    The "Grape Seed" type vining tomatoes that grow in good clusters like grapes, are absolute production monsters when they get what they want. I have had them reach 15 feet and take over the tomato part of the garden. Luckily, they are also a very flavorful tomato with good texture.
    If you collect the bad ones and put a little compost over them in the fall, they will also repeat in the spring pretty consistently here. Much better started inside and given a good head start, since once they start to produce, they never stop. That just means scooping the area into a tray and bringing it inside in the spring.
    I can not speak highly enough about the variety.

strummer101 and Loin Lover like this.