Hobbies outside of guitars during lockdown

dtsreiuqs

Squier-Nut
Oct 18, 2015
not here anymore
whoa dude... you built those?? dayum!!

Yes. But it's not a business : it's only amateur building, not intended for sale.

HsdEIb-FBC-tests-2.jpg

ePWXJb-elements.jpg

wjTTLb-P1120276.jpg

D

Last edited:

Angry Possum

Obsessed With Music & Guitars
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 30, 2019
Squier Island NY
Modding My 93 Ford Ranger, Fishing,, Collecting Vinyl, I love Scifi Movies, UFOs, I'm Fascinated with EBEs (Extra Terrestrial Biological Entities, Great video below with Dr. Steven Greer, he's a retired ER doctor. Grab some popcorn.

20211001_144533.jpg

This is an Awesome book. 5 Star Read. It's a Non Fiction.
20211020_055940.jpg

Last edited:

miket1117

Squier-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 31, 2018
Kansas City
Modding My 93 Ford Ranger, Fishing,, Collecting Vinyl, I love Scifi Movies, UFOs, I'm Fascinated with EBEs (Extra Terrestrial Biological Entities, Great video below with Dr. Steven Greer, he's a retired ER doctor. Grab some popcorn.

View attachment 224262

Awesome book. 5 Star Read. It's a Non Fiction.
View attachment 224264

and the best sci-fi movie EVER? okay... top 3... top 5 to make it fairer because there are so many good ones. here's mine and in no particular order:
The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951 release with Michael Rennie)
2001: A Space Odyssey
Interstellar
Blade Runner
Tie: Terminator/Robocop
Bonus Pick: The Matrix

dtsreiuqs

Squier-Nut
Oct 18, 2015
not here anymore
If that's "amateur," I'd say yer ready to go pro bro! That's serious gear ye got there! Not everyday one sees an oscilloscope and TWO Flukes. :eek:;):D

some fine looking amps aren't they?

Thanks ! :)

I'm nothing else than a hobbyist, though... I do part-time tube amp repairs to fund my audio and musical instruments hobbies, and that's all. But yes, sometimes Amateurs are well-tooled like pros... :D;)

Testing the output power of a HIWATT DR-103 after restoration :
P7pZJb-DR103-2.jpg

A stack of Ampeg SVT heads after servicing, ready to return to their owner :
H6IYJb-IMG-7782.jpg

Design and work on prototypes :
6VmxJb-P1090715.jpg

Tube testing :
G3zlNb-my-tube-testers-15-10-2016.jpg

D

duceditor

Squier-Axpert
May 29, 2014
The Monadnocks, NH USA
Not sure if this counts as a "hobby"... But I've decided to, as a "flip year" birthday gift for my Dear One (i.e., she was 17 when we met, next week the numbers "flip" as she turns a glorious 71) to finally "finish" her beloved Great Room, or a major part of it: The Billiards and Bar area. That by, with the kind help of some friends (who have the trade skills I lack), put in the "tin ceiling" Jan as for so many years wanted in that area.

Jan had fun choosing just what she wanted (and, indeed, seeing her perusing the vendors was what gave me the idea for this gift), and yesterday it started to go up.

"Tin Ceiling" Bar and Billiards Area.jpg

As o often happens, what she fell in love with was just what I'd have chosen on my own.

The job is not yet done -- our friends are hoping to be able to come by some evenings this week to finish the project -- but the hardest part is complete. That was redoing the lighting so that it fit into, instead of breaking up, the ceiling pattern. Three hanging pendant lights over the bar, and a "spot" to highlight the traditional 'behind the bar' painting.

As here in an earlier, pre-ceiling, pic...

Great Room, Bar.jpeg

Anyhow, that's what's filling my time right now. And filling my Dear's One's heart and putting a BIG smile on her face.

:)

Oh... and TG for our great friends!

-don

Last edited:

duceditor

Squier-Axpert
May 29, 2014
The Monadnocks, NH USA
and the best sci-fi movie EVER? okay... top 3... top 5 to make it fairer because there are so many good ones. here's mine and in no particular order:
The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951 release with Michael Rennie)
2001: A Space Odyssey
Interstellar
Blade Runner
Tie: Terminator/Robocop
Bonus Pick: The Matrix

Count me in as another BIG fan of sci fi films. So much so, in fact, that in our home most Sundays are reserved as "Science Fiction Sunday" in our big screen home theater

A few of your favs are also among mine -- especially #1, "The Day the Earth Stood Still."

Jan is more into the action type than I. I go for the 'ideas' films.

Okay, and (equally!) quite a few that have no "ideas" whatever. Those made for the teen audiences that loved them when I was among such.

Truly good ones like "Them!", "The Thing from Another World"and the like -- and also some not too "good" ones that are for me at least totally enjoyable. B-films" such as "Teenagers from Outer Space" and its ilk.

In truth I never tire of those!

BTW, since you mention "20022: A Space Odyssey", have you seen the "2010: The Year We Make Contact"? Is another absolute winner!

Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 11.28.05 AM.png

-don

miket1117

Squier-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 31, 2018
Kansas City
Count me in as another BIG fan of sci fi films. So much so, in fact, that in our home most Sundays are reserved as "Science Fiction Sunday" in our big screen home theater

A few of your favs are also among mine -- especially #1, "The Day the Earth Stood Still."

Jan is more into the action type than I. I go for the 'ideas' films.

Okay, and (equally!) quite a few that have no "ideas" whatever. Those made for the teen audiences that loved them when I was among such.

Truly good ones like "Them!", "The Thing from Another World"and the like -- and also some not too "good" ones that are for me at least totally enjoyable. B-films" such as "Teenagers from Outer Space" and its ilk.

In truth I never tire of those!

BTW, since you mention "20022: A Space Odyssey", have you seen the "2010: The Year We Make Contact"? Is another absolute winner!

-don
oh absolutely, i've seen it, but can't say i remember much about it while 2001 is etched into my brain beginning to end.

teenagers and sci-fi... first thing came to mind was Steve McQueen in The Blob. lol...

miket1117

Squier-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 31, 2018
Kansas City
Not sure if this counts as a "hobby"... But I've decided to, as a "flip year" birthday gift for my Dear One (i.e., she was 17 when we met, next week the numbers "flip" as she turns a glorious 71) to finally "finish" her beloved Great Room, or a major part of it: The Billiards and Bar area. That by, with the kind help of some friends (who have the trade skills I lack), put in the "tin ceiling" Jan as for so many years wanted in that area.

Jan had fun choosing just what she wanted (and, indeed, seeing her perusing the vendors was what gave me the idea for this gift), and yesterday it started to go up.

View attachment 224315

As o often happens, what she fell in love with was just what I'd have chosen on my own.

The job is not yet done -- our friends are hoping to be able to come by some evenings this week to finish the project -- but the hardest part is complete. That was redoing the lighting so that it fit into, instead of breaking up, the ceiling pattern. Three hanging pendant lights over the bar, and a "spot" to highlight the traditional 'behind the bar' painting.

As here in an earlier, pre-ceiling, pic...

that is an awesome ceiling! gorgeous!

Anyhow, that's what's filling my time right now. And filling my Dear's One's heart and putting a BIG smile on her face.

:)

Oh... and TG for our great friends!

-don

duceditor

Squier-Axpert
May 29, 2014
The Monadnocks, NH USA
teenagers and sci-fi... first thing came to mind was Steve McQueen in The Blob. lol...

Oh yeah!!!!!

We finally got the blu-ray of that. Truly, truly, a great sci-fi. Done (amazingly!) by a small company in PA that specialized in films for churches. Low budget ("Steven McQueen" was then an unknown), but done so well that the budget restraints don't show.

Another I really like is the original 1959 version of "The Giant Gila Monster."

Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 12.15.45 PM.png

Why do I enjoy it so? Yes, the story is fun. But I also really enjoy spending time with the people in it. The "hero" whose three main interests in life are 1) hot rod cars, 2) helping his younger sister get the leg braces (and encouragement) she needs so she can walk, and 3) writing, singing and playing his own songs. He's a guy I' have liked to have had as a friend. (and then he gets to save the world!). :)

Such fun and innocent stuff.

I do miss that world! So we get it via fun flicks on Sundays. :D

-don

Loin Lover

Dr. Squier
Jul 26, 2018
Backwoods, USA
Nice RC car...err truck, LOL! I'm assuming it's an electric and not gas powered. I remember playing with those as a kid decades ago, they've really came a long way from the crude RCs in the 80s.
This is an electric two wheel drive HPI Blitz. A decent base model. Much like a venerable Squier SE, it is easy to upgrade. The orange pieces are aluminum replacement parts. They have fully adjustable independant suspension.

We built a decent sandbag track and platform in Iraq. HPI, Associated, Traxxas, and Duratrax (which I had then) sent us parts and banners. It was a welcome distraction.

Attachments

• rc Blitz chassis.jpg
    rc Blitz chassis.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Iraq track 2.jpg
    Iraq track 2.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Iraq track pit.jpg
    Iraq track pit.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Iraq track platform 2.jpg
    Iraq track platform 2.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 5
  • Iraq track.jpg
    Iraq track.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 5

Lanaka

Squier-holic
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
This is an electric two wheel drive HPI Blitz. A decent base model. Much like a venerable Squier SE, it is easy to upgrade. The orange pieces are aluminum replacement parts. They have fully adjustable independant suspension.

LOL, exactly what I meant. Now ye can get RCs with decent power/weight ratio, metal precision suspension with springs & shocks, in a good chassis that is durable. What I had in the 80s had puny 4xAA or 2xC battery powered motors that cant do more than 25 scale mph (mainly cuz the package was too heavy for the matchbox sized electric motor), primitive plastic suspension, flat board bottom with a single piece plastic top. Crash it, and I'd be lucky if it is still working afterwards, LOL!

Oh and the motor had two speeds, forward slow or reverse slow. LOL

Lanaka

Squier-holic
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
We built a decent sandbag track and platform in Iraq. HPI, Associated, Traxxas, and Duratrax (which I had then) sent us parts and banners. It was a welcome distraction.

A welcome distraction in Iraq? I'm NOT surprised! Had a cousin who went during Desert Storm and a second cousin who went during Enduring Freedom. Both said aside from the brutal climate, the stress of being on constant battle alert when outside of base can be exhausting!