Hobbies outside of guitars during lockdown

AxelMorisson

Squier-Nut
Nov 15, 2021
Fagaras, Romania
That's awesome. My daughter plays cello and I have threatened to find a way to run it through guitar effects. So far she has resisted.
oh I forgot (really sloow day at work but still): existing cello? Amplified? No mods? Easy!!! Get hold of a clip-on microphone , and clip it on the bridge. Thing has a piezo already wired in it - won't stick- won't need mods or glue and won't leave marks or residue. Most likely you might have one already in the tuner -some are detachable like those in Thomann tuners . That thing ends in a regular jack. The thing goes into a buffer/preamp then the effect box or amp or amp sim . Nowadays I use my electric on my PC with a ton of amp sims. There's a couple in there that can make it sound like a real violin again. I found an octaver..now I also have a cello (sort of), most distortion plugins are hit-and miss. Shimmer reverbs and large plate reverbs? mmmm..tastyyy...
So something like this :
https://www.lonestarpercussion.com/...zo-Clip-On-Contact-Microphone-for-Tuners.html
but I must come with a warning; not stellar. But does sound OK-depending on preamp/buffer it might even sound nice. In the piezo buffer that goes- or in the acoustic amp- and the rest is history.

Clockwise

Squier-Meister
Jan 26, 2021
Atlanta
oh I forgot (really sloow day at work but still): existing cello? Amplified? No mods? Easy!!! Get hold of a clip-on microphone , and clip it on the bridge. Thing has a piezo already wired in it - won't stick- won't need mods or glue and won't leave marks or residue. Most likely you might have one already in the tuner -some are detachable like those in Thomann tuners . That thing ends in a regular jack. The thing goes into a buffer/preamp then the effect box or amp or amp sim . Nowadays I use my electric on my PC with a ton of amp sims. There's a couple in there that can make it sound like a real violin again. I found an octaver..now I also have a cello (sort of), most distortion plugins are hit-and miss. Shimmer reverbs and large plate reverbs? mmmm..tastyyy...
So something like this :
https://www.lonestarpercussion.com/...zo-Clip-On-Contact-Microphone-for-Tuners.html
but I must come with a warning; not stellar. But does sound OK-depending on preamp/buffer it might even sound nice. In the piezo buffer that goes- or in the acoustic amp- and the rest is history.
Great tip!

SoCalJim

Squier-holic
Nov 12, 2020
SoCal
That's a pretty cool cart, @strat_strummer! Will the kayak stay firmly in place with your cart? I guess you probably have friction against the hull helping you out.

I have a cart that has a pair of upright pieces that insert into the kayak's scupper holes. It's not as beefy as your cart, but it stays put when rolling the kayak to/from the water.

Thanks @SoCalJim . So far it works really well. I might have to strap it but that's no big deal. I thought about adding some uprights for the scupper holes. We will see how this works out. I built it 19" wide at the pads and that's exactly how far apart my scupper holes are so I won't have any problem welding up some.

Eddie

My Squier is on Fire !!!
Nov 5, 2016
New York
My health isn't what it used to be and it's getting real difficult to haul my kayak from the shed to the front yard so I can load it on the truck. It weighs almost 80 lb. I had to get the wife to help me carry it but she is older than I am. I built this cart to take care of the problem. Now I can do it all myself.

View attachment 232241 View attachment 232242

Looks awesome. Man, I'd love to go kayaking with you. :)

Some of you know, I do a lot of kayak fishing and today we went out to Lake Owyhee Oregon.
I caught 11 Crappie the first 15 minutes but on the 16th minute I rolled my kayak and luckily there were other boaters close so they threw me a line. The water was very cold and my whole body stiffened up so I'm sure hyperthermia was close. I also lost three fishing poles, two fishing boxes, my prescription glasses, reading glasses and my expensive out of state fishing license.
In all honesty, I've never been so scared in my life.
I did save the fish though...;)

IMG_0356.JPG

RoyalWe

Squier-holic
Sep 5, 2012
Western Oregon
Some of you know, I do a lot of kayak fishing and today we went out to Lake Owyhee Oregon.
I caught 11 Crappie the first 15 minutes but on the 16th minute I rolled my kayak and luckily there were other boaters close so they threw me a line. The water was very cold and my whole body stiffened up so I'm sure hyperthermia was close. I also lost three fishing poles, two fishing boxes, my prescription glasses, reading glasses and my expensive out of state fishing license.
In all honesty, I've never been so scared in my life.
I did save the fish though...;)

View attachment 233565
Glad to hear you’re ok! People laugh at me for my adamance on wearing a life jacket, but I’ve been around enough to not give hoot. Water recreation is great, but you’re always only one wrong move away from a disaster.